• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOWEST prices on lift kits???

But that goes back to the arguement that this particular trackbar breaks without going to any limits .. I've seen it break on the freeway driving 70 mph.

Did anyone state the obvious?
My advice for a cheap lift... Bastardizzzz it.
watch the for sale forums of this and every other board in this god forsaken world and buy up all your little parts peacemeal style. With the tenacity of Dumptruck you can probably have a 5" longarm lift with shocks for under a grand. The only additional virtue required is patience. your not gonna get that lift in a week.

Oh and never buy Rusty's CRAP!!!
Don't even buy the stuff that he doesn't make because then your still supporting his business.
I've seen control arms fail, trackbars fail, shocks that ride like complete SHIT.
Rough country has a much better product than Crapy's... And stay away from Explorer Pro Crap... its garbage too. nothing like Lower control arms with 1" urathane bushings that don't allow any flex at all... pure crap.
Stick to what the Supporting vendors are selling.
www.desertfab.com
www.fullsizexjgear.com
www.loosenutsenterprises.com
If I was still selling parts, I'd sell you on RE because #1 I can make a buck.... thats about it. and #2 their products are what I'd consider the most reliable bang for the buck... except for there leaf springs. those are hit or miss.

rpraterxj said:
This should all cost somewhere around $700....
you can get a RE 3.5" sf, AAL for that.... w/ re shocks as well (b-pack the rear).... if you shop around.... and its not rough country....

if your gonna get a rc kit... it BETTER be cheap...

btw, my RC lca's had to be narrowed about an 1/4".... did they forget to add the width of the bushing?

i have 2 xj's... one has a rc 3" , and the other RE 3.5 sf(5")... not a big differance in prices.... but tons of differances quality wise

Last edited:
I am in the same boat, I've built "peacemeal" lift kits before, but for what I'd put into a 5" lift kit it'd cost me the same as a 4.5" Rough Country lift kit PLUS a lot of custom fabrication time building my own LCA/UCAs, etc. (~$500)

What parts are prone to failure on the Rough Country kits, or why shouldn't I buy a Rough Country kit?

I see everyone bashing Rustys for trackbar failure (which I have no desire to buy from Rustys after reading all the forums for years), but noone who has had problems with Rough Country that I can see...

xcm said:
you can get a RE 3.5" sf, AAL for that.... w/ re shocks as well (b-pack the rear).... if you shop around.... and its not rough country....

if your gonna get a rc kit... it BETTER be cheap...

btw, my RC lca's had to be narrowed about an 1/4".... did they forget to add the width of the bushing?

i have 2 xj's... one has a rc 3" , and the other RE 3.5 sf(5")... not a big differance in prices.... but tons of differances quality wise

True, BUT, you won't get the brake line and the JKS disconnects for that price. and this is a full leaf pack, not an add-a leaf.

I am trying to stick to the original question of cheap lift., Usually good quality and cheap do not go together, I did mention my choice is a full RE kit, even at 3.5" inches, and everything needed in RE flavor, it will cost closer to $800...

GSequoia said:
Jesus man.

FOUR YEARS AGO?!

I remember you being the FNG. Damn, I've been around here too long.

Yeah, time flies when you're having fun!

jfiscus said:
I am in the same boat, I've built "peacemeal" lift kits before, but for what I'd put into a 5" lift kit it'd cost me the same as a 4.5" Rough Country lift kit PLUS a lot of custom fabrication time building my own LCA/UCAs, etc. (~$500)

What parts are prone to failure on the Rough Country kits, or why shouldn't I buy a Rough Country kit?

I see everyone bashing Rustys for trackbar failure (which I have no desire to buy from Rustys after reading all the forums for years), but noone who has had problems with Rough Country that I can see...

The biggest problem I hear with rough country is that the springs ride like a ton of bricks on a skateboard. *ROUGH* country.

I'm guessing none of these companies have advertised spring rates? I doubt they vary too much, but it would be nice to know. They're probably all within 50 lbs/in of each other for the same lift.

There is a thread here on naxja where someone called around and got the listed spring rates for all kinds of various springs and posted them up. Go searching for it.

cal said:
A quick search brought up these two threads:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243333846&postcount=6

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84328&highlight=spring+rate

I didnt find the thread I was looking for, but only looked for a minute. That gives you a starting ground I guess. Take the numbers with a grain of salt, I don't think they were ever actually verified.

Well, that's kinda what I expected...most numbers look to be in the same ballpark, apples to apples. So if someone says one brand rides much different than another, it must just be their truck. Or their imagination. Or blown shocks...lol. ;)

xL8 APEKSx said:
Well, that's kinda what I expected...most numbers look to be in the same ballpark, apples to apples. So if someone says one brand rides much different than another, it must just be their truck. Or their imagination. Or blown shocks...lol. ;)
Well, when you're talking about 240#/in rates, 50# is a noticable difference. That's about 20%. If it's 175#/in. then 50# would be about 28%. So it might actually be the springs and not their imagination..........

Kyung

GauchoMD said:
Hey Rawbrown, tell us how you really feel about Rusty's products...
If he did that, all you'd see would be ^&%$^8v %#%##^#!!!!!1^&8!!@:roll:

LOL!

Yeah, some of the rates are different, I can see that now. Glanced at it the first time. Need to find things to do so I look busy at work. :)

I will try my damndest to spring for the RE stuff, but I may get cheaper coils and leafs. I'll make sure to get a decent trac bar and LCAs.

20060814211227_rusty%20wheels.jpg

Since I am no longer selling products I can badmouth em all...:puke:

Back