• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 First time build

Found this today. On the 98.
Not normal.
56620cc6694a91845945305325a3bd12.jpg

71573382a4070a075f6b6c62a035f322.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a question. Am I better off to just buy a new radiator or use the one off the 2001 jeep?

I know nothing about the 2001 radiator. Looks clean.

It looks like from reading here and elsewhere online that there is no real conclusion on radiators. Just as many people said stick with stock as said upgrade to 3 row or some other thing.

While stock radiators can be had for $100 or less, think I'll pull the one from the 2001

It looks like from reading here and elsewhere online that there is no real conclusion on radiators. Just as many people said stick with stock as said upgrade to 3 row or some other thing.

While stock radiators can be had for $100 or less, think I'll pull the one from the 2001

Basically, the brass and aluminum ones are probably the best option. The all aluminum ones have dropped off quality wise. I have a crappy plastic aluminum one on the XJ that has been fine for 5 years. On my MJ I'm still looking a round to see what would be the best option, probably get another crappy plastic one because of price for now.

Napa single row. $120

last thing need to address(for now) is steering.

the stock steering is worn out and loose. could replace the worn components or upgrade.

the zj upgrade was intended, however, found an upgrade at summit racing.com
rugged Ridge Heavy Duty steering kits.

could also do some drill work on the knuckle and go with serious offroad UTK 1 ton steering upgrade.

any thoughts or words of wisdom from the community?

ill try to add links to both products

ZJ is a good upgrade for cheap. If you aren't wheeling hard or going past 33's no real need to go OTK or 1 ton, a solid tie rod with good ends is more than enough. You also have to consider relocating the track bar and some other things once you move outside the stock realm.

check out the summit racing upgrade smokeyyank. Keeps it stock ish. kind of spendy

Rugged Ridge steering kit from summit racing or ZJ upgrade. ?

im in the middle of nowhere, do not have junk yards near by. things need to come via shipping.

or go on a waiting list for some day when im near the big city.

Dang! Not a bad freebie.

The ZJ is all junked out. Smashed in rear driver quarter panel and all broken glass down driver side.
Interior has Ben pulled out and piled back in.
It does have tie rod I'm after.
Also upper and lower control arms may swap over.
Any market for used Grand Cherokee parts ?

IRO frame stiffeners are here.

New Radiator is here.

ZONE 3 inch lift with full spring sets for rear, new coils for front, new shocks

Winch bumper

wheels and tires

lower control arms from 2001 parts jeep in my yard (some after market control arms, too dirty to tell what brand. Round arms with no curve in shaft.)

JKS adjustable track bar

Sway bar quick disco for front. (should I remove rear?)

thats the parts pile.

now its time to start getting dirty.

what should I do first?

remove radiator and front tires, shocks and coils? (I need to do some welding in driver side wheel well beyond installing frame stiffeners)

prep and weld front and install stiffeners front and center

install lift and steering components, new radiator?

seem about right?

what else should I be doing while all this is apart ?

Good idea to swap out the spacer. The OEM aluminum one turns to dust after some time.

As for your build youre on the right track. Would be a good time to get some SS brake lines could also look at getting some bar pin eliminators for the shocks. Be prepared for the rear bolts to snap on the shocks. Easy cheap hack is using the rear sway bar mounts as bar pin eliminators.

ill have to google what you mean by par pin eliminators. I have BDS shocks that will match my lift height once installed.

hears to hoping those bolts dont snap. Town is too far.

ON a side note. Went back to help remove junk from the property the grand cherokee was removed from.

came home with a wire fed welder and a 12,000 lbs winch with 8 feet or so of remote cord. Cable looks brand new.

also some sort of press....il post some pictures. have no idea what it is but look like could use it to press U joints.

I really need to get started on this build. the parts pile is spilling out of my garage.

maybe yank the tie rod from zj tonight. jack up 98 and start prepping for frame stiffeners

Back