• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOWEST prices on lift kits???

Alright, so the dude was asking about CHEAP lifts...its easy for everyone to spend his (or my money since I have a Rusty's lift). Hey guy, go buy a Skyjacker lift!! I've never had a problem with my lift, its from Rusty's...would I like to upgrade?? SURE! Do I have the money after dropping nearly 200K on medical school?? NO! Instead of talking bad about other people's rigs we should understand that everyone here has different needs and incomes...but we all love our Jeeps!!

Nice reply. I have a buddy (helped me throw my lift on, actually) who has an '89 i believe, just got the Rough Country 4.5 inch lift, and of course it won't ride like a long arm RE lift, but it wheels just fine, does what he needs it to do for now, and looks good to boot. It's all what you need and want and can afford, and how you really want to drive it. I mean, i took mine BONE STOCK over some stuff i wouldn't attempt in my full size Chevy, so any improvement over that is just gravy! Besides, you remember how hard it is to know you could have a lifted Jeep in the driveway RIGHT now, instead of the sorry looking station wagon that's really out there. I mean, even if someone spends say 700 on a kit KNOWING that in the next few years he'll sink another 400 in just to make it right, if he doesn't have the 11-1300 dollars for the initial investment, he'll still have fun with any lift that is in his budget, and chances are he'll be on the trail with us!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e247/yardedgmc/Picture086.jpg Here is his rig!

Last edited:
^^^ HAHA thats in Redlands by the Krikorian... I used to skate that spot everyday!

Well "lowest prices on lift kits" is easily interpreted as where can i find the lowest price on RE lift kits or the lowest price on Full Traction kits or pretty much who knows where i can get hooked up... NOT as "where can i find the CHEAPEST lift kit around". I dont think anyone was trying to knock him for what hes looking for, people are just trying to save him from making a mistake that MANY of us have made before...

People always interpret things according to their bias. Its cool that people want to steer him in the direction of more expensive (i.e., better quality/performing lifts) based on past experience and/or "word of mouth". But the dude seemed genuinely interested in the Rusty's lift, and its not cool for people to, not necessarily attack him, but the idea of spending less on his lift. Like I said, we are all here because we share a love of Jeeps...but we all dont have the same bank balances and/or need for a full-on rockcrawler. I would love to get a pair of locked Dynatrack ProRock 60's and a Skyjacker or RE long arm lift...but that is going to have to wait until I have the money. Until then I am happy with my mildly-built XJ, can I drive some of the trails some of you can? Most likely not. Do I still love my Jeep? You bet.

I have no say in Rust'y products becuase ive never ran any of them (because of word of mouth and proof with pics i steered clear) But if the only REAL problem with their kit is the trac bar, F it, buy it see if they can subtract some $$ cause you dont want theyre TB, and buy a better one.
And trust me, im in most people's boat, im a student at UCR. I have no money... Its all good, were all just tryin to help out bro.

Haha, I know people are trying to help :) Its just kinda weak for people to look down on us starving students for buying (admittedly) cheaper stuff and calling them mall cruisers or whatever. I was just giving the other side of the argument since it seemed most people were trying to steer him in the more expensive route (which, again, is cool if he has the money and/or desire to spend it on his Jeep)...cool?

HAHA for sure man, i can see where your coming from... cool.

GauchoMD said:
Alright, so the dude was asking about CHEAP lifts...its easy for everyone to spend his (or my money since I have a Rusty's lift). Hey guy, go buy a Skyjacker lift!! I've never had a problem with my lift, its from Rusty's...would I like to upgrade?? SURE! Do I have the money after dropping nearly 200K on medical school?? NO! Instead of talking bad about other people's rigs we should understand that everyone here has different needs and incomes...but we all love our Jeeps!!

I think what you are missing is that arguements like mine are based on safety and not giving him something cooler or better performing. Rusty's Offroad parts are not *built quality* and I would go as far to say at least some of the time are not *built safely*. The welds are often incomplete, have poor penetration, or both. I personally have seen 4 rusty's trackbars fail in the last two years, and heard of several others, one of which sent a socalxj guys jeep flying off the side of the highway out of control.

swbooking said:
I But if the only REAL problem with their kit is the trac bar, F it, buy it see if they can subtract some $$ cause you dont want theyre TB, and buy a better one.

The control arms are kinda crap too. I havent seen one fail in a manner that has been catostraphic yet, but they are designed with articulated ACME threads that get sloppy quickly. The fix for that from Rusty is to add a jam nut, which seriously hinders the design of the arm (articulating) and causes the rubber bushings to wear out, leading to bad alignment, wobbles, etc.

GauchoMD said:
it seemed most people were trying to steer him in the more expensive route

Oddly enough, the least expensive route is to build it RIGHT the FIRST time. That's the advice most of us are trying to impart.

It may cost more to start with, but it will cost less in the long run. So often, people's priorities are short term investment costs but they neglect the long term repair and replacement costs.

Many of us have been down that road before and we have the T-shirt.

Another alternative to KITS is to deal with a reputable vendor that will assemble a hybrid kit for you. For example... cheap springs from Rusty's with RE control arms and JKS disconnects.

Andy Steiner said:
Another alternative to KITS is to deal with a reputable vendor that will assemble a hybrid kit for you. For example... cheap springs from Rusty's with RE control arms and JKS disconnects.

Or you could just follow Ryan around and pick up all the spare parts that fall out of his Jeep.....
:D
Rick

GauchoMD said:
People always interpret things according to their bias. Its cool that people want to steer him in the direction of more expensive (i.e., better quality/performing lifts) based on past experience and/or "word of mouth". But the dude seemed genuinely interested in the Rusty's lift, and its not cool for people to, not necessarily attack him, but the idea of spending less on his lift. Like I said, we are all here because we share a love of Jeeps...but we all dont have the same bank balances and/or need for a full-on rockcrawler. I would love to get a pair of locked Dynatrack ProRock 60's and a Skyjacker or RE long arm lift...but that is going to have to wait until I have the money. Until then I am happy with my mildly-built XJ, can I drive some of the trails some of you can? Most likely not. Do I still love my Jeep? You bet.

You are missing the point my friend. If you get cheap stuff that WONT last and you end up having to replace it anyway, how does that save you money? It doesnt. Its cheaper in the long run to get better quality parts. I'm not in college anymore but that doesnt mean I can afford fancy stuff. We all here have mortgages, property taxes, wifes and kids than are more than enough to drain any bank account. So saving money is important to me.

I bought my Rustys lift used for $300 and saved lots of money initially. But after a few months, the parts needed to be replaced anyway. So after spending over $1000...yes OVER $1000, my lift is finally working better.

djblade311 said:
We all here have mortgages, property taxes, wifes and kids than are more than enough to drain any bank account. So saving money is important to me.

no crap. over 5K a month in just morgage and taxes! I am Very thrifty!

if you want cheapo but reliable.
4" Rough country front springs 102 delivered
3" Rough Country rear leafs 215 delivered
rock krawler front lower control arms - creasy off road 200 or less delivered
rock krawler front upper control arms creasy off road 125 or less delivered
front adjustable track bar & bracket this is a toos up in any case about 200-220 delivered
rear 1" TNT boomerang shackles are a plus for many reasons - 75 delivered
front disconnects toss up as to whose - about 80$
front shocks - edelbrock from summitracing 'clearance' right now are like 17$ ea plus 10$ S&H
rear shocks - procomp es3000 - 22$ ea any 4wheelparts.

I think thats about it? So about 1100$ for a 4" lift with all great parts that will give you years of enjoyment and little chance of breakdown on road or worst yet on the trail. For a little less you can always eliminate things like front disconects, rear shackles, and front upper control arms. but in the long run you will want them and poss even need them.

Last edited:
I am on my third rustys lift. had one in my liberty, had one in my grand cherokee, now have one in my cherokee. been to moab, big bear, rattlesnake canyon, as well as others. never had a problem. the guys at rustys have always been helpful as well whenever i have had questions or concerns. I would have no problems ordering from rustys in the future. Just my opinion for what it is worth. but ultimatly we all make our own decisions and we are the ones who have to live with them. Have fun jeeping with whatever lift you choose. and if you need help installing just let us know.

Michael

Here's a little tidbit from my experience and knowledge:
Yes, I agree build it right, the first time. I too started out with an inexpensive lift (RE 3.5" with add-a-leafs, DT3000 shocks, & JKS disconnect = $450, 4 years ago) Nothing ever broke and I went all over the place, even a few "hard" trails....

I have lost track of what I have spent, but I am currently close to 6" of lift, I have changed the axles, re-geared, locked, added armor, etc... BUT, I started out cheap. I did invest in ARMOR first! Rock rails, gas tank skid, t-case skid, tow points...

Now, for an affordable lift, look into Rough Country, but make a few changes: Get the 3.5" kit with full leafs, order JKS quicker disconnects, and a good set of shocks. You can get the Rough Country gas shocks or Rubicon Mono-tubes. Make sure you get the rear brake line with the kit. You can get a set of 1-1.5" shackles and some coil spacers for the front. You will have about 4.5" of lift, run 31 to 32" tires, and be very capable. This should all cost somewhere around $700....

just my advice....

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or need some help installing it!

Now, for an affordable lift, look into Rough Country, but make a few changes: Get the 3.5" kit with full leafs, order JKS quicker disconnects, and a good set of shocks. You can get the Rough Country gas shocks or Rubicon Mono-tubes. Make sure you get the rear brake line with the kit. You can get a set of 1-1.5" shackles and some coil spacers for the front. You will have about 4.5" of lift, run 31 to 32" tires, and be very capable. This should all cost somewhere around $700....

Sounds like a good plan, I hadn't considered starting with the 3.5" and spacing it up to reach 4.5". It will be a month or so, I've got plenty of time to shop. :)

cal said:
I think what you are missing is that arguements like mine are based on safety and not giving him something cooler or better performing. Rusty's Offroad parts are not *built quality* and I would go as far to say at least some of the time are not *built safely*. The welds are often incomplete, have poor penetration, or both. I personally have seen 4 rusty's trackbars fail in the last two years, and heard of several others, one of which sent a socalxj guys jeep flying off the side of the highway out of control.

Nah, I get your argument...safety should always be everyone's primary concern. I've had my lift for over 2 years and havent had a problem, but I know it has limitations and rarely if ever try to exceed them. Everything breaks if you try hard enough...even RE lifts. So, again, my side of the argument is if he is, as his original post says, looking for the cheapest lift possible that he can use for some light wheeling maybe 6 times a year, then the Rusty's lift is an option. Can the trackbar break? I guess so, since you all say so...but mine hasnt. Anyway, we all beat this to death for no reason because I never said that RE long arm (or even more expensive) lifts dont perform better nor that they arent built stronger. You get what you pay for is always true be it with lift kits, cars, electronics, homes, whatever

Back