• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowered the XJ back down

I'm on that site too. No one responded. I was surprised to get so many responses to this thread, but then again, this site is exclusive for XJs. I'm going to a couple shops today just to see how much it would cost to fix all that stuff. Keep an eye out for a full, used 3 or 3.5" lift kit. RE, BDS, Skyjacker or whatever else.
By the way, has anyone used a 4wdHardware lift kit? Do they work good? I'm looking at those kits and they look nice.

If you're only going to 3"ish, I highly recommend OME (Old Man Emu) suspension kits. I have a few buddies with them, and the ride is better than stock by leaps and bounds. It'll run about $900 for a full kit brand new.

Not knocking BDS; high quality stuff there.

However, I have had a Skyjacker lift and it was horrible ride quality. 4WDHardware seems budget (similiar to Rough Country, which is presently in my Jeep; the name is a good indicator the ride quality) and that's rarely the right road to choose. I'm sure a lot of people here would agree on that point.

It seems like you (or whoever helped you out) are more than capable of doing the install yourself. Spend the $$$ on a quality suspension.

Hopefully this helps your decision-making a bit.

Yeah, I can install the lift myself. Like I said, I've broken just about everything that needs breaking. All upper shocks studs in the rear have been drilled and tapped, replaced with grade 8 zinc plated bolts, sway bar links are going to be replaced anyway. Skyjacker seems a bit much for me anyway, I priced one and it was a good $300 more than BDS or something.
As far as OME, I don't need the thing to ride like a Cadillac, but if it doesn't cost much compared to BDS and hopefully there is some kind of warranty on it, I'm game. I just want something that has EVERYTHING I need, that way if I want to upgrade to 4.5, I can do it without paying too much, and it would just fix everything needed.

if you are thinking of going to 4.5 way dont you just start with it instead of having to do it all over. i got my 4.5 RC kit with full leafs for $645. from topguncutstomz.com

Stick a 3-3.5" kit on. Evaluate your ride height, driveline vibes, steering, etc. If you want more later you can always add spacers and shackles for an extra inch or two.

The only reason why I don't want to do that is because I don't have the money to fix the tcase and buy 32s as well. I'd like to go as high as possible without screwing up the driveline.

bl87xj said:
Stick a 3-3.5" kit on. Evaluate your ride height, driveline vibes, steering, etc. If you want more later you can always add spacers and shackles for an extra inch or two.

depending on what kit he gets, it may not come with lca and uca, long enough shocks, brake like extensions, sway bar links and he may have to buy all of that for a 3.5 to become a 4.5. So buying a complete 4.5 should end up costing less.

many have, if you search you will find mixed feelings about it. I just happened to get my 8in long arm for a good deal, otherwise I wouldn't have run rustys cause I had heard all the bad things about them. But I am happy with my kit so far, havn't had the chance to take it out wheeling yet though. I like Rustys better than rough county, but not as well as rubicon express.

What kit compares to this one (other than Rough Country)? I like the fact that it has LCAs and I really like that it comes with an adjustable track bar. Hopefully those two things can make it so that I won't get death wobbles. Granted I'll most likely need an alignment.

i got the 3 inch rustys w/ spring pack and i couldnt be happier.

HOPEFULLY NOT TO LATE TO CHIME IN

I understand that you bought your lift from J.C. whitney that is the reason the u bolts were not long enough if you are to look at our website and kit contents you can see that our kit does not come with blocks that is only done through J.C. I you are not satisfied with your lift or did not get the correct amount of lift feel free to contact me personally and I will get this taken care of for you. It is possible that you recieved either the wrong springs or maybe defective ones however you need to double check and make sure you jeep did not have a lift on it already wich is what it sounds like to me. I hope we can come to some sort of happy place for you, as you can search and read customer service is by far the most important thing to me

GRIMUS99XJ said:
HOPEFULLY NOT TO LATE TO CHIME IN

I understand that you bought your lift from J.C. whitney that is the reason the u bolts were not long enough if you are to look at our website and kit contents you can see that our kit does not come with blocks that is only done through J.C. I you are not satisfied with your lift or did not get the correct amount of lift feel free to contact me personally and I will get this taken care of for you. It is possible that you recieved either the wrong springs or maybe defective ones however you need to double check and make sure you jeep did not have a lift on it already wich is what it sounds like to me. I hope we can come to some sort of happy place for you, as you can search and read customer service is by far the most important thing to me
I bought a completely stock XJ that was originally on 225s. I would've ordered your kit through eBay, however JCWhitney had a sale going on that had free shipping, so I got it from them. I never checked what exactly was in the kit because I figured it was the same as the one on eBay. Thanks for the concern though.

That looks like more than a 1" lift in the front with yer RC coils. And the rear - it's better to be lifted higher. When you have a load or rear passengers, it evens out rather than having a rearward rake.

You just went backwards, man. Looked good with the lift; just need some AT tires :)

Back