• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for some helping hands again

Lilian

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody out there willing to sacrifice a few hours next Saturday (August 4th) to help install my rock rails and x-member with t-case skid plate?

MJR already agreed to be "head of operations" once again. :D

We have use of our friend's shop at
Advanced Motorsport Solutions
1035 E. Bedmar St.
Carson, CA

We'll be there at noon, food and drinks will be provided. Patrick will barbecue some tri-tip again. :)

Lilian, if you can't install rock rails you might think about buying a Toyota and getting out of the Jeep thing....

Drill, socket set....a drill bit and you got it.

Come on, don't use the 'I'm a girl' line around here.

Own a Jeep, work on a Jeep (almost all the friggin' time!)

;)

Rick

Rick, I'm going to bite my tongue here and just refrain from saying what I think about your comments, but just FYI, this is stuff we planned for the last work party but didn't get done because it got too late.

You don't need to bite your tongue. That can hurt!
It wasn't meant as any negative comment. It was meant to make you think...
But.....IF you can't install rock rails you don't need rock rails.
That is not mean or cold hearted, it IS the truth.
Drop the gloves and say what you wanted to say, I gots da' thick skin!
:D

Rick

Jump This said:
You don't need to bite your tongue. That can hurt!
It wasn't meant as any negative comment. It was meant to make you think...
But.....IF you can't install rock rails you don't need rock rails.
That is not mean or cold hearted, it IS the truth.
Drop the gloves and say what you wanted to say, I gots da' thick skin!

Rick
Mean old flatlander, up on the hill(BB) they kill people for less than that,you be desert people lets be nice to our less skilled folks and fellow friends,(But this is a hands on sport and we are here to help not do your build for u) Lets get along guys lifes to short.I am up on the hill once or twice a week when can we do dinner Rick?..........SANTA

4xSanta said:
Mean old flatlander, up on the hill(BB) they kill people for less than that,you be desert people lets be nice to our less skilled folks and fellow friends,(But this is a hands on sport and we are here to help not do your build for u) Lets get along guys lifes to short.I am up on the hill once or twice a week when can we do dinner Rick?..........SANTA

He's getting lonely now that I moved up to Santa Barbara. He is also getting some new rock rails for the green jeep so he might want you to install them for you...just letting you know that he has ulterior motives.

juryrigjalopy said:
He's getting lonely now that I moved up to Santa Barbara. He is also getting some new rock rails for the green jeep so he might want you to install them for you...just letting you know that he has ulterior motives.

Doing chores for Santa also has its ulterior motives......I want a new Subaru 2.5 Turbo for the dune buggy for Christmas...

BTW When does the fall semester start anyway?
Shit, UCSD doesn't start until late September.
BTW I need a dive trip to Catalina this summer, you up for it?

Jump This said:
Lilian, if you can't install rock rails you might think about buying a Toyota and getting out of the Jeep thing....

Drill, socket set....a drill bit and you got it.

Come on, don't use the 'I'm a girl' line around here.

Own a Jeep, work on a Jeep (almost all the friggin' time!)
If you can't post anything worthwhile you might think about buying an Xbox and getting out of the NAXJA forum thing....

Panther said:
If you can't post anything worthwhile you might think about buying an Xbox and getting out of the NAXJA forum thing....

So, what do you think?
What is one of the basic projects of owning an XJ?
Do you believe that the ability to do these sort of tasks are not
somehow required by the hobby?

Let me tell you a little bit about me...
I coach High School age girls. Some of them come into my program having learned that all they need to do is say 'I can't.....' and someone will come and take care of them. I don't accept that. I don't allow any of the girls to say 'I can't'.
I won't ever ask them to do something they can't.
What they are taught is to say, ' I need to learn how to...'
Teach them and they will learn how to do it, do it for them and they learn
how to rely on others...
That, will never be acceptable to me.

So, can Lilian install rock rails? You bet, she might need to be taught how to do it, but she can, and if she believes herself to be an off-roader she damn well better learn how.

There is absolutely nothing cruel or malicious in this. If Lilian wants to learn how, most any of us can teach her, but these 'knights in shinning armour' will do it for her and she will be no better for it.

Rick

I think last time she had friends come by to help her, so if she is asking her friends to come to help an drink have dinner to,I say go for it..

Lilian,
one thing I can personally say, and I am sure most will agree, is that you feel a deep sense of accomplishment when taking on some of the task required to build up your rig.

When I knew I would be lifting my xj I decided to offer my help Cooper and 99xjache (Aaron) do a lift on Coopers xj. Only a few weeks later I did my own lift with no help in one weekend. Needless to say I felt great and I have done my dads lift since along with many other projects on my own jeep.

I am not taking sides on this one because I know that not everyone can just pick up a wrench and get it done but I know I feel great when I do it. My two cents.

Osmin

Jump This said:
So, what do you think?
What is one of the basic projects of owning an XJ?
Do you believe that the ability to do these sort of tasks are not
somehow required by the hobby?

As if she didn't get her hands dirty last time. Ever consider that some people might not have ever picked up a wrench or a drill before in their life and may require some help? I myself have used a wrench and a drill before but have learned that working on such things is not my forte. Not everyone can jump right into hacking apart their vehicle and make modifications. I'm certain that Lilian has quite a number of skills that you do not possess (besides tact even). Yes, she's eager and happy to work on her Jeep and learn. She does need help, however.

No tri-tip for you.

Panther said:
As if she didn't get her hands dirty last time. Ever consider that some people might not have ever picked up a wrench or a drill before in their life and may require some help? I myself have used a wrench and a drill before but have learned that working on such things is not my forte. Not everyone can jump right into hacking apart their vehicle and make modifications. I'm certain that Lilian has quite a number of skills that you do not possess (besides tact even). Yes, she's eager and happy to work on her Jeep and learn. She does need help, however.

No tri-tip for you.

And I hoped to at least show tact.......damn it.....
and no Tri-tip....do you think she could show me how to
smoke a Tri-tip?
;)

Rick

Oh wait...I see Patrick is doing the cooking....

Jump This said:

Rick what crawled up your arse. Go back out into that large garage of yours and work on your own damn Jeep or what's left of it. Go stand in the corner for a while maybe. :)

Oh and there is a difference between doing it yourself just to do it and having someone to help that has done it before bad/good. A little guidance can make it go right the first time.

I think she is a good driver based on last weekend in Big Bear.

As someone who has gone from 0 automotive knowledge when first buying his Jeep to cutting and installing mods and actually having a decent understanding of how everything works I fully understand and appriciate the need for help.

If I didnt have my buddies (before I even found NAXJA) to work with me on my projects like installing the lift and fixing broken things I would still be driving a saturn :p

If I hadnt made commitments to be a bachelor party Saturday afternoon I would come up and cheer you on at the very least.

MJR said:
Rick what crawled up your arse.....

Hey! Who invited you into this conversation, you, you...facilitator!

If you are teaching her/them/us things that is GREAT!

But if you are doing the work for her....

Didn't Panther say something about working on 'such things' was not her forte? I'm not saying they must learn to do such things....the friggin' Jeep will say it for me!

They MUST learn how to do such things...just teach them! (Did I just say that? ;) )

Rick

Jump This said:
If you are teaching her/them/us things that is GREAT!

Oh she's working on it too. Do I need to come out there and show you a thing or two? Back in the corner again.

Back