• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm with 2-3" lift?

It would be a great setup for a low center of gravity rig or upgrade for when you have a short lift and plan on eventually want to go bigger...

Has anyone look at the relative positions of the frame side of stock arms then most long arms kits? Most long arms hang below the uniframe If he tries to do long arms at 2" wouldn't the arms become inverted? Where the axle side of the arms would become higher than the frame side? This seems like a bad idea and I can imagine why most long arms need a minimum of 3"-3.5" of lift

why would it matter if the arms go "inverted"? the stock arms do that.

why would it matter if the arms go "inverted"? the stock arms do that.

Ya I know they do but there is typically nothing there to smash into. Long arms tend to mount to the underside of the uniframe and you significantly lose any up travel with a risk of smashing into the uniframe. And depending on how low the frame side arm mounts. You might literally only get .5"-2" of up travel.

Ya I know they do but there is typically nothing there to smash into. Long arms tend to mount to the underside of the uniframe and you significantly lose any up travel with a risk of smashing into the uniframe. And depending on how low the frame side arm mounts. You might literally only get .5"-2" of up travel.

well certainly many clearance issues would have to be sorted out.

I don't think its impossible... a waste of time and effort? sure.

It will have the same up travel as the short arm, the arms mount inboard of the subframe so there won't be any interference issues. It gives a good platform for someone who wants to go bigger eventually but like many of us, but can only afford to go a step at a time. You can install the long arm with a short lift and adjust the arms later when you go taller...

Idaho,
Is the kit they're building you not a radius arm then? Is it 3/4/middy?

at 2" of lift the last thing on my list would be long arms especially when you could probably build some longer lowers/uppers and move the axle a little bit more forward. I would be worried about a radius arm kit getting in the way of things at 2" of lift. pinion and DS, exhaust, etc. It looks like a regular old radius arm kit with slightly different X member design.

at 2" of lift the last thing on my list would be long arms especially when you could probably build some longer lowers/uppers and move the axle a little bit more forward. I would be worried about a radius arm kit getting in the way of things at 2" of lift. pinion and DS, exhaust, etc. It looks like a regular old radius arm kit with slightly different X member design.

X2 however im interested to see what they come up with thats not a radius arm.

This is a full on 4 link long arm. Like i said, it's not on the site yet. Mine is the prototype. It was built and engineered to be used on. As short as a 2" with zero interference issues at any point of compression or cycling at any other point... How could it get in the way of the pinion when the arms go above and next to it? This was designed to clear the floor, exhaust, and frame rails. Which are the only things that would be of any problem with clearance...

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time picturing how that's going to be packaged without cutting the floor, hanging really low, or having terrible frame side separation.

5uqy4aga.jpg

Thanks Will. That's the only picture I have of it right now. That's from when they were almost done with it on the mockup Jeep. It's going to be at my door tomorrow. I'm hoping to have it installed in the next couple weeks. I'm still recovering from the accident, dawn whiplash, and stupid drivers...

You can see how the lower arms are inset of the rails, not under... No clearance issue with the rail, and it clears the exhaust and driveline easily...

56901dd702a1b5d42b02a65a86a15e26.jpg

Here's what started my research for the possibility of long arm, the driver's side lower control arm bracket is bent just enough to count. It was either find a new bracket, cut the old one off, figure out where the new one needs to go and weld it on... Or... Get a set of adjustable arms and hope that works... Or... Long arm and just cut the mounts off period and end up with more benefit overall... Not much more money than good adjustable short arms, what's not to like?

looks good, im just wondering about the joint separation on the frame side as there are 6"-8" (i think) separation on the axle side

Back