• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm with 2-3" lift?

IdahoEagle

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone run a long arm lift with a very short lift around 2-3" lift? I have an 86 2 door with about 2 1/2" on 31s, might go with Napier flares and possibly jump to 33s when I do. I need to replace control arm bushings and would like to get more travel and stability like a long arm might give. Let's see what you are running. I'd prefer 4 link over radius arm.

your not gonna get more flex, just run a quality short arm with a flex joint, I had no issues with 3" and short arms maxing out 10-12" travel shocks

I know the primary design for most long arm kits are for taller lifts. Ride quality at speed in rougher terrain with long arms versus short arms is going to be better with long with a smaller lift just like with a taller lift. That's one reason I want to go long arm, improved geometry. I know there has to be someone who is running this basic setup, XJ owners are more prone to experiment with suspension than any other vehicle owner is...

A less expensive, simpler alternative is CAD brackets with your short arms.

For some time, DesertRunner, was running the DBO mid-arm kit on 2.5 inch lift.
I have the same mid-arm kit @ 4" I would continue to run it with less lift.

Full Traction makes a 3.5" long arm kit. You might call / talk to them. Most every other kit I can think of, long arms start at 4.5 or 5"

post-475-0-68643600-1402623990.jpg

post-475-0-84296000-1402005381.jpg

The setup is 2.5" tj metalcloak coil springs and stock jk coil buckets, ome 3" rear leafs, d44/d60 axles, 37" cooper stt and Hutchinson rock monsters.

I know the primary design for most long arm kits are for taller lifts. Ride quality at speed in rougher terrain with long arms versus short arms is going to be better with long with a smaller lift just like with a taller lift. That's one reason I want to go long arm, improved geometry. I know there has to be someone who is running this basic setup, XJ owners are more prone to experiment with suspension than any other vehicle owner is...

For that height, mid arm is the best as break over is easier, geometry is just right. I can see issues arise at 2"-3" lift and long arms than that height and mid arms

I meant pictures of the suspension. I like how low slung it is, but not the width. Mine is on stock axles for now. The most I may do is Waggy width Dana 44s in both ends and possibly step up to 33s if I do something different under the hood...

I have a 3.5-4' lift and still on short arms. I have plenty of flex, but on-road feel kinda sucks. I bought the ruffstuff DIY radius arm kit and will be doing a mid/long arm radius set-up. I'm on 32's BTW and will eventually go to 33's when these wear out. The DIY kit is pretty cheap and comes in pieces so you can really make it into whatever you want,(3 link, radius, modified 4 link). The CAD kit would also be a great bang for buck as well. I think you will find 2-3' is not enough once you go 33's. You can throw a quick spacer to bump you up to around 4, which is plenty low, and long arms will make more sense, and the ride will be much better.

I say do long arms. You will more than likely upgrade to more lift down the line when you find the limits of the shorter lift. It is much easier to throw in some coils leafs and a few other things than replace your whole suspension again.

Has anyone look at the relative positions of the frame side of stock arms then most long arms kits? Most long arms hang below the uniframe If he tries to do long arms at 2" wouldn't the arms become inverted? Where the axle side of the arms would become higher than the frame side? This seems like a bad idea and I can imagine why most long arms need a minimum of 3"-3.5" of lift

Has anyone look at the relative positions of the frame side of stock arms then most long arms kits? Most long arms hang below the uniframe If he tries to do long arms at 2" wouldn't the arms become inverted? Where the axle side of the arms would become higher than the frame side? This seems like a bad idea and I can imagine why most long arms need a minimum of 3"-3.5" of lift

I can visualize what you are talking about but dunno... you might run out of up travel before the arm hits the unibody. Lowest long-arm setup I've seen is 3.5 and you might have nailed it for "why"

Now this thread has become a lot more of a serious question than a random thought. The clean, low mile 86 2 door XJ Pioneer was hurt Friday night. I had a bad driver pull out in front of me on the highway, luckily toward the top of a hill with a 45 mph speed limit, and there wasn't enough room for her to pull out and cross the highway in front of me. Some of the damage the XJ sustained was a bent lower control arm bracket on the driver's side on the subframe. The rail doesn't look like it was damaged. I have to wait for the adjuster to look at it sometime this week before I can start messing with it, but I'm already looking into my options. Anybody else have any ideas, suggestions, or experience for the low lift long arm route I now need to go?

if you look at this picture youll notice my long arm is close to bottoming out on the frame. Im running a for radius arm so I dont have a standard upper arm at the axle. what happens with the low lift long arms is the arms begin to run into things on the up travel. exhaust oil pan frame rails and such so if you do go for the long arm setup remeber to check clearances and limit up travel
80-picture_php_pictureid_102904_25ffec77c133428a7cab2ec69918e0c38e476191.jpg

I found an outfit in Utah that is building a 4 link long arm for my XJ that will work for my short 2" lift. It uses Currie Johnie Joints, 5/16" tubing with a new transmission crossmember that is removable separate of the control arm brackets. I'm also getting an adjustable trackbar from them that uses the Johnie Joint as well. After the kit shows up next week, as well as some other parts I ordered to help repair my wrecked 86, I will start a build thread for it and name the vendor who is building the long arm. I think the long arm kit would work very well for anyone who wants to build a very LCG rig...

So... My long arm kit will be here Thursday... He says it will work with up to a 6" lift... As soon as it shows, and I can remember how to post pictures, I'll show you all how it looks...

Back