• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lexus 4.0 engine swap ??

motorcityxj said:
why not run the toyota/lexus version of the aw4 just to make it easier ?

I have looked at this aspect of the swap also and the rear t-case adapter from a jeep does fit onto the lexus tranny. Then i would have to pull the rear out put shaft and swap it with the 23 spline one from the jeep.

The problem with this is that i have built these trannies before and they are a real trick to get put together correctly. I have talked to alot of tranny shops and they all say they don't ever rebuild them they just replace these becuase they are a pain in the @$$.

using my jeep AW-4 would work, i am going to re-pin the wires from it into the lexus connectors and have it hook up like a lexus.

twisted_ed said:
Can I ask, what is the deciding factor for this swap idea? if it because you want to, because you need more power? Why?

All of the above, I need the power, and i just want to do it for the WOW factor.
In 2wheel drive it is a total turd. max speed on road is about 40mph, and those moments in the dirt or mud when you want to do a mud slinging burn out on your buddy behind you it has 0 power to spin tires in 2wd. so i have to act like i forgot to lock in my hubs and keep it 4low then roast them.

So i guess i am really looking for the power so i can use the 4hi and 2wd options of the rig. In 4low it crawls over everything great just above idle. i really have no complaints about the I6 in that respect.

What size tires and gear ratio you running?

91 Jeep Project said:
Read the thread.

I did a few days ago, and scrolled back and must have missed that info, sorry to inconvience you.

I can see why you need the HP then... I would have to agree an stroker would benifit you but if you want the lexus for the fun of it, I can understand. Plus you wouldnt need to run higher octane fuel.

I just can't justify the cost of the stroker 6cyl, I was going to drop in a mopar 318 or 360 from a dodge truck, which would have loads of off the line torque. But i came across this lexus deal first.

for sure.... I was thinking stroker once too, but after learning gears make a difference I went that route, and even if I had to rebuild a motor I wouldnt go to the hassle of stroking it, just drop in a bigger motor... the stock 4.0l is bombproof, why change that... but if its all you got then go for it I saym but since you got this lexus motor, go for it I say.

When its done thou, make sure you go to the Jeep and Lexus dealer for an oil change, I would love to see the jeep mechanics face when they open the hood, same for lexus when they look and see a jeep

funny you should say that. I just happen to work for the local Jeep dealer and love to bring my rig in and asking for an alignment with my 44" TSL's. can't wait to bring it in with the lexus engine and ask them to change the oil or tune it up.

1badxlxj said:
funny you should say that. I just happen to work for the local Jeep dealer and love to bring my rig in and asking for an alignment with my 44" TSL's. can't wait to bring it in with the lexus engine and ask them to change the oil or tune it up.
Well with your knowledge I doubt they are gonna believe you want them to tune it up.
So you are one of the evil stealership dudes eh ?:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

My sister has a 90 LS400....24v DOHC V8...It will flat out outrun a z28 camaro on the highway once the motor goes thru about 4500rpm and 120mph....once that happens it is gone up to 160mph indicated and 6400rpm.

also, the SC400's did come with a 5spd, it was an option, not a popular one though so you dont see many.

I'd say do it....I plan to once my sisters gives up her car...which wont be anytime soon I fear (car has 218K on it and runs awsome, no rattles/squeaks/pops...and no major motor work.)

MaxxTraxx said:
also, the SC400's did come with a 5spd, it was an option, not a popular one though so you dont see many.
The SC300 (6cyl inline) came with a 5 speed, the V8 SC400 did not.

The V8 is every bit as bombproof as the Jeep 4.0 HO. Only problems are timing belt (change it every 120k), and lifter buckets wearing at high milage with a lack of oil changes. Keep clean oil and coolant in it and it will last forever.

Well thanks for all the input. I will post some pic's and let you know how it goes. I will be starting on it in a couple of week's.
I might even try to fit the lexus gauge cluster in it. we'll see

4.0 weighs 483lbs / 3.25" stroke / 85 or 90mm bore

4.7 is 82 lbs. heavier / better breathing heads / 3.33" stroke / 91mm bore
iron 4 bolt block - same platform Toyota went F-1 racing with.

Wiring in the ECM is the pita - major.

Both have very skinny con rods - no Turbo / Supercharging over 6lbs.

For the money - I would choose a '01 - '04 LINCOLN DOHC Navigator 5.4 engine - 330cu.in. - 310HP - wire harness & ECM mounted inside engine compartment.

3.55" bore
4.17" stroke

fully dressed shippping weight of 660 lbs.
my AMC 360 shipping weight is 740.

Parts / gaskets / seals are easily half the Toyota price.

Cams are chain driven as is the NEW Tundra 5.7

Stroke is whopping 4.17

Engine capable of spinning 8 K rpm.

Engine won a few Design Awards -

Buy in is less than half that of a Tundra 4.7 -
off www.car-parts.com perhaps $1,200.00 for
a 2004 Navi 5.4 DOHC

NEW 2006 Navi 4wd Trans is based on the
ZF 6hp26 used in Maserati - BMW - Jag etc.
with rave reviews on engineering.

www.car-parts.com price ? a 2007 for $1k.

more:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243505767#post243505767

anyone with a spare healthy 2wd AX-15 for my meager dream - Appreciated!

Last edited:
kremlin said:
For the money - I would choose a '01 - '04 LINCOLN DOHC Navigator 5.4 engine - 330cu.in. - 310HP - wire harness & ECM mounted inside engine compartment.

I'd like to see the amount of cutting required to put a Ford Modular DOHC V8 engine in an XJ. They are very wide. Say good bye to your inner fenders at a minimum.

Re: 5.4 engine swap ??

31" / 32" rocker box edge to edge for a 5.4 engine.

At the very least - you'd need to tie the block down
with a Torque Strap device of some sorts.

He does the work on my rig and is staying busy with everyone else's trucks. He's got the Lexus motor lowered into the xj but not mounted yet.

Back