• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED Stop Turn Tail / Wiring Question - Searched = dead ends

links... pics.... info :doh:

Sorry, I said GLJT, it's GLXJ [DELETED BY ADMINISTRATOR] has FSMs on line, electrical is in chapter 8. Look under Tow.

This is how Jeep approached the problem:

You will see two relays, one per side.

Let's just look at one side:

The signal from the flasher attaches to one side of the coil, and so does one side of a 2157 lamp.

The other side of the coil commons with the signal for your brake light and a 2157 lamp. The other side of the lamp is grounded.

The signal from power attaches to one side of the relay contact, the other side is your output.

When you step on the brake, power flows though the coil and though the unlit turn signal lamp to ground and turns on the relay and provides power to the STT.

When you hit the turn signal, power flows though the coil and though the unlit brake lamp, which turns on the relay and provides power to the STT.
Since the turn signal is coded, the relay turns on and off, and so does the STT.

If you have both , the relay does not work, and nothing is supplied to the STT.

The turn signal is a coded signal and by turning off, it allows the brake signal to activate the relay and provide output, 180 degrees out of phase with the turn signal.

Edit: Oh, I see you gave up. No problem, perhaps someone else will get some use out of my 3/4 hour of typing and FSM research.

Edit [by Administrator]: You know better than this. Don't post it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you run out of info, email some of the guys you know have done it on 97 +'s like 53guy and a few others.

I have checked, most of these guys like 53guy have separate amber turn signals, which is not what I need... If that were what I wanted, I could have it done already. :cool:

standard.jpg

Edit: Oh, I see you gave up. No problem, perhaps someone else will get some use out of my 3/4 hour of typing and FSM research.

Oh on the contrary, I am using another Naxja members info and sort of guessing at the item he had suggested. Again if I find LIGHT at the end of this tunnel there will be a full write up. So I am sorry, I'm just not the type that can grasp lengthy electrical jargon, it needs to be in front of me in some way so I can SEE what is being explained. Call me simple.

:banghead:

wiring up LED - STOP TURN TAIL LIGHTS (STT) for Tail light guards on the XJ... No trailer... However everyone that seems to have any knowlege on the subject is saying to USE A TRAILER WIRING HARNESS.

So...

For a RED "STT" TAIL LIGHT, ANYONE that has any PICS of the WIRING SET UP... this would be GREATLY appreciated. I could give up and have a seperate turn signal LED. I dont WANT to do that ...I'd like to use the STT LED as it was intended as a STOP (BRAKE LIGHT) TURN SIGNAL & TAIL (Marker Light).

I wasn't talking about a trailer. I was talking about lights for my thors (thor4x4.com) where you use L.E.D. Trailer STYLE lights as your (the XJ's) brake, turn, running, and reverse lights.

~Scott

EDIT: Sorry, I just got what you're saying. My bet would be splice in the turn signal wire with the brake light...however I'm not sure if it would still blink when your brakes are on. Sounds like you need a light with 4 prongs.

do you have a link to the exact light you are trying to use? the only way i can see this working is if you have 2 sets of LED's in one housing that can be run separately, or you run the tail light dimmer than the brake/turn. if you can get me a link, i can work out a custom "black box" for you.

Back