• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going to lose my mind...LED lights

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody

Well I got these lights all wired up a couple weeks ago, and everything I thought went perfect. Heat shrunk all the connections, did a real nice wiring job I thought. Went to check everything at the End, and all works perfect except for the Brake lights. And its really weird.

I used a Tow ready trailer converter, and Ill do my best to explain what Ive done.

Ill start with simple.
On the To vehicle side, I ran the Ground straight into the factory Ground on the driver side.
Left turn signal, into left on the wiring harness.
for right turn signal, I went to pass side, and ran a wire across the rear to the trailer box.
Tail light, I just picked up the driverside tail, and then spliced into it after the box to run a tail to each side.
Stop, I picked up on the brake wire on the driverside,

on the To trailer side, I pretty much followed the same directions.
I Ran the ground on the Driver side into wire which says ground on the box
Tail comes out as one wire, so i spliced a wire into it, and ran to each side
and brake/signal were ran accordingly to each light

Now heres what I'm getting, and it blows my mind.
signals, work perfect
tail lights, great.
Hazard lights perfect
Brake lights, I get 4 LEDs in the center of the lights which come on extremely dim. like dim enough that it has to be lights out in the garage to see them.

But, Flasher, and Brake run through the same wire. I checked with a multimeter at the pigtail directly at the light. the flashers send 12 volts. the when the brakes applied, same 12 volts. flashers are bright as all get out....brakes pretty much Nada.

I think there may be a ground issue possibly, because when I stick my multimeter into the brake light hole, and ground, i get 12 volts

when I stick the multimeter into the brake light hole, and tail, I also get 12 volts.

anybody?

well to help in the process of elimination I just went outside, and tried to cut out everything going to the passenger side to simplify things. Same problem. with no splicing to get anything over to the passenger side.

pretty much at this point, I'm using the box to serve as one function, and the wiring has to be correct, and still brake light doesn't work, but signal does, and flasher.

I had a similar problem, removed the trailer wiring, and everything was great. I need to try again with a trailer kit that works with LEDs. It can't hurt to change out your flasher to an electronic one now, won't fix this problem, but it does at least get the blinkers up to speed.

blinkers arent an issue for me. do they blink a little fast. Yes. but it isn't anything I cant deal with.

I called the trailer place yesterday and they said it must be a ground issue somewhere in the harness. So I went through one more process of elimination. I ran the Brake light wire, tail light wire, and ground directly to the LED light. Work perfect. That tells me there is either an issue with how I'm grounding the Trailer converter (just grounding it inline with harness ground)
or the converter box is messed up?

You said you ran the "To Trailer" ground to the ground. That needs to go only to the LED's ground. Also IIRC the passenger side is also grounded to the body. You may nee to lift that ground and/or just leave the "To Trailer" ground open, and ground the LEDs with the OEM harness.

Thanks.

Let me me sure Im saying it right, because I do believe its a ground issue. the 3 wire pig tail has a ground coming out of it. for the trailer converter, I ran the "to vehicle" side into the factory harness ground. and then on the "to trailer" side I ran it to the ground from the 3 wire pig tail.

Yeah that should be the way it goes. Now what I was saying before is that I'm pretty sure that both sided are grounded separately (OEM tail lights). I would try either running a ground from the other LED tail light straight to the converter too, or ground all three to the body.

I used two trailer harnesses, one for each side. Made the wiring simpler. I had a ton of issues when doing my LEDs as well, but finally figured it all out.

I had a problem with super dim LED's, but turns out the battery was dying because I was working at night with the jeep interior lights on. After the battery got charged up, the lights worked fine.

Back