• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

XplodJeepster said:
then how would you be able to tell at the junkyard which of the cherokee countrys have this package,
being that the tires are off of the autos and the things are resting on blocks. is there a full travel length, or should I look for ones without rear swaybars?

Just thought of the easiest way to tell it they are the up country springs or not. They will also have a much longer rubber bumpstop above them instead of the smaller stock urethane one.

The "UpCountry" package basically just means the Jeep came with a factory steering, t-case, and gas tank skid. At least thats the way it is on my 98

Hayden

I was looking at a f350 today and noticed the rear swaybar endlinks look alot like an xj just need to cut off top mount and thread for xj or add adapter and disco? anyone think this would work? they look like they are about 12" long

Last edited:
Well a few minutes ago I cut up my main up country leaf to go under a standard 99 ( I couldn't find a late model one with upcountry suspension on it ) main leaf. I left it as long as possible so it even curves up a bit around the eyes a bit. I was going to use the rest of the 99 leaves but they had noticably less camber in them so only used the the main for the newer bushes and for some reason the very bottom leaf had more camber than the upcountry?? I has given me an 1.5" of lift but it might still settle some.

XplodJeepster said:
okay. I went through this weekend looking for springs (and other jeeps - I even called chry co in olympia)

i saw that one of the minivans had a single leaf for its springs in rear (would that be a good full length AAL? if done so?

and I was really looking for a cherokee Up Country - I heard those ride an inch higher due to a factory "lift" chrysler wants 450 bucks for the leaves and coils - how hard is it to find a cherokee up country? and what makes the up country unique? or is it just a special name for cherokee country.

any help appreciated
'Up Country' package was an option available on XJ's, not to be confused with the 'Country' trim-level option ! The Up Country was a suspension/performance package that included better springs w/ 1" factory 'lift' over stock springs, gas-charged HD shocks (the blue ones), also front tow hooks, a HD alternator and battery group, and, I believe on 95-96's, the tow group was included with Up Country- hitch, tranny cooler, bigger radiator.

citRon said:
oh, for identification, the Up Country equipped XJ has a decal ont eh back side windows or on the hatch glass, a little oval that says 'Up Country'

I've never seen this decal. It would be nice if they'd made it that easy to recognize one though. It's not on the one for sale right now down the street from me. Also did the Up-country package not also include the Trac-lok rear?

That rig down the street is SWEET, anyone in Nova Scotia (or nearby) who's looking for a nice XJ should take a look. '96 Country with Up-country package I think this thing has EVERY option availabe on an XJ of that generation and is in great shape. (4.0/AW4/242/d30 non-disco/8.25 trac-lok/up-country with full skids and hooks/tow package/leather seats/power everything/keyless entry/factory tint/fog lights and more) Pricey, but I think it's worth it, hurts me drivin' by it everyday, it's been there for months.

The alt. from a 98 era 318 grand cherokee or dakota will bolt in with a slight exchange of parts. My stock alt. was 117 amp the grands was a 136 amp...and some of the older xjs were only 90 amp. Wiring should probably be taken into consideration if going from 90 to 136 though...

I have a alt off a 95 sunfire on my 87 4 litre. All I think I had to do was rotate the caseing a bit. (It was a few years ago.) It chewed the edge of the belt slightly but I never changed the pully from the sunfire alt.

98XJSport said:
The alt. from a 98 era 318 grand cherokee or dakota will bolt in with a slight exchange of parts. My stock alt. was 117 amp the grands was a 136 amp...and some of the older xjs were only 90 amp. Wiring should probably be taken into consideration if going from 90 to 136 though...

What kind of "slight exchange of parts"?

The elusive Up Country decal might have been on the newer body style XJ's. I remember seeing on on the lot when I bought my 94 back in 98. I wish I would've had another couple grand, cause it also had a manual tranny. I distinctly remember though, that it had some sort of badging on the rear windows. This is a great thread BTW...I just read through all 8 pages and found stuff I'd read about before but since forgotten. Let's keep it coming :)

Theres a little black piece that on the stock alt directs the wire towards the engine, but on the GC alt it directs the wire away from the engine. go here
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/ for a writeup and pics. Pretty simple, the hardest part was getting the stock alt. out and the new one in.

trekker said:
One of the first things I did when I bought my XJ was to hit the boneyard for some of the factory skid plates that my 91 Sport didn't come with:
t-case, gas tank, etc.

what did u find to fit. my 97 sport doesnt have skid plates either

It took a little while but I have found all three. Total investment for Front Skid, T-case Skid with crossmember that had nutserts, and Gas Tank Skid was $30.00

Dragline said:
It took a little while but I have found all three. Total investment for Front Skid, T-case Skid with crossmember that had nutserts, and Gas Tank Skid was $30.00

thats awesome but i never see xjs in yards around here im wandering if anyone has easily modded skid plates off anything else to fit on their rig

XJFREK said:
The elusive Up Country decal might have been on the newer body style XJ's. I remember seeing on on the lot when I bought my 94 back in 98. I wish I would've had another couple grand, cause it also had a manual tranny. I distinctly remember though, that it had some sort of badging on the rear windows. This is a great thread BTW...I just read through all 8 pages and found stuff I'd read about before but since forgotten. Let's keep it coming :)
Mine Up Country decal was just a sticker on the rear window. I pulled it off the day I got it home from the dealer lot when it was still brand new. I stuck it on my daughters window and it is still there 10 years later. ;)

When I worked for jeep I ordered some 4wd plow coils from the parts dept for my MJ and it sat about 1 1/2 taller I think I spent $50 on the pair like 4 years ago and the sping rate was perfect That truck saw a lot of air and i never had a problem, flexed good too. I know it's not junkyard but it is cheap.

Does anyone have a recomendation for what to use for overload leaves. I have a stock '98 XJ that I use to tow a 6'x16' trailer from time to time. When loaded the rear end really drops. I'd also like to add a couple of inches of lift to help clear the 30" tires I'm running.

I'm familiar with my options for the lift, but would be interested is an overload leaf to keep the rear end off the bump stops under load.

Use the very bottom (shortest) leaf off a 84-93 S10 4x4. It is about 1/2 think and works great as an overload leaf. You can use the whole pack added to your main XJ leaf for 4 inches of lift.

BA

Back