• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

WobblesXJ said:
I used '95 YJ lines and they're plenty long.

I also just used 95 YJ non ABS lines, measured out to 22" long. $35 new from Auto Zone vs the $80+ for braided stainless lines. Although personally i'd never use JunkYard brakelines.

A few others not yet mentioned:

ZJ Pitman Arm for a 1" drop.
MJ shackles for 1/2" lift.
95+ or any ABS equipped XJ for the 297 front axleshafts.

tchase said:
good catch, I missed that.

I scored my 4.10's outta an '87 2.5.

I'd also like to give thanks to the thread starter, it'll be nice to have the cheap upgrades in one place for those starting out. I'd add that MJ rear flex lines are also longer than the XJ ones (probably same as YJ).

Some seat stuff:
For the MJ folks: Some may not realize that the pre '96 XJ buckets are bolt-in as well as the XJ consoles (both full and mini).

Also for those who already have buckets, some early buckets had a tilting seat bottom as well as the seat back. The mechanism for this feature was contained in the seat mount and if you can find the mount with it you can swap it in under your original seats gaining a lot more adjustability (my first MJ had these seats and I could never get comfortable in my XJ until I scored a set of bases outta the same '87 Poineer I got my 4.10's from).

Consoles are different too. There are heater ducts on the side of comanche consoles, and not on XJ consoles.

I decided to go ahead and make the spring pad adpaters. The T Bird springs are only 1/4" larger in diameter, give an estimated 2-3 inches of lift are only 290 lb/in (stock is 200 lb/in) and only cost $25. To much to resist. Mocked it up in plywood last night and will be taking over to a low buck metal shop on Tuesday. It can all be cut out of plate with a torch and stick welder.

I will post again once they are in.

Wheeled the Yuha basin trails this weekend. Awsome love that mini spool. No dust either. Tried to run Plaster City north along the narrow guage but dust storm and blow sand stopped me cold about 10 miles in (need more flotation).

Nosigma.

okay. I went through this weekend looking for springs (and other jeeps - I even called chry co in olympia)

i saw that one of the minivans had a single leaf for its springs in rear (would that be a good full length AAL? if done so?

and I was really looking for a cherokee Up Country - I heard those ride an inch higher due to a factory "lift" chrysler wants 450 bucks for the leaves and coils - how hard is it to find a cherokee up country? and what makes the up country unique? or is it just a special name for cherokee country.

any help appreciated

My roomate had a '98 Cherokee country in college, it didn't sit up any higher than normal. I've never seen an "Up Country" package from the factory. Every factory XJ I've EVER seen has sat the same height, besides old sagged ones. Honestly, for the time and headache it takes to piece together a lift... it's really not worth it. Just buy one man!

Another cheapo! If you don't feel like getting a new tail pipe installed professonally after your cat has been removed... or whatever reason you may have... it's easy to tuck your muffler up high and piece together two 125 degree bends from Autozone behind your muffler and exit your exhaust to the side just in front of your rear passenger side tire. It takes some tricky re-positioning and trial and error to keep it up nice and tight - but it's cheaper than spending $100.

XplodJeepster said:
okay. I went through this weekend looking for springs (and other jeeps - I even called chry co in olympia)

i saw that one of the minivans had a single leaf for its springs in rear (would that be a good full length AAL? if done so?

and I was really looking for a cherokee Up Country - I heard those ride an inch higher due to a factory "lift" chrysler wants 450 bucks for the leaves and coils - how hard is it to find a cherokee up country? and what makes the up country unique? or is it just a special name for cherokee country.

any help appreciated

Here is Australia, all Sport models have Up Country suspension which sat an 1" higher than standard. They also deleted the rear swaybar due to the higher spring rate. They also ran different shock absorbers which were inverted and many have said were made by Bilstein? They are made in Germany and are the same color blue but it does not say anything else about the brand on them though.

summitlt said:
Consoles are different too. There are heater ducts on the side of comanche consoles, and not on XJ consoles.

depends on the year/model. my 87 laredo has heater ducts in it. it also has a tilt seat leaver in the front, besides the normal back tilt.

okay, cherokee up country = sport, minus the rear sway bar, + the different shocks.
(then why does chryco want $500 for all 4 of the springs?!?!)

anyone know about the minivan leaves?

Gojeep said:
Here is Australia, all Sport models have Up Country suspension which sat an 1" higher than standard. They also deleted the rear swaybar due to the higher spring rate. They also ran different shock absorbers which were inverted and many have said were made by Bilstein? They are made in Germany and are the same color blue but it does not say anything else about the brand on them though.

The up country package also included front tow hooks, a gas tank skid (perhaps other skids), and tracklock rear.

humph. my jeeps got those, probably just because the DNR requested them,
could someone remind me the heights of the stock and up country jeeps. and how to measure.

RockTracXJ said:
The up country package also included front tow hooks, a gas tank skid (perhaps other skids), and tracklock rear.

Was not sure on those as the only other model we get is the Limited which has a tank and transfercase skid plus a tow hook as well.
I dont know if all SPorts in the USA have the upcountry suspension either as thought you still had to option it?
Standard height is 17.5" from wheel centre to underside of the flare in front and 17" in the rear.

The "Up Country" Package was a offroad package, not a model. When we ordered my wifes 96 Sport (<--Model), we ordered it with the Up Country package, It was an option. It came with front, t-case and gas tank skids, gas shocks, tow hooks front and rear, deleted the rear sway bar, and it did stand about 1" taller then non-Up Country XJs.

then how would you be able to tell at the junkyard which of the cherokee countrys have this package,
being that the tires are off of the autos and the things are resting on blocks. is there a full travel length, or should I look for ones without rear swaybars?

JnJ said:
The "Up Country" Package was a offroad package, not a model. When we ordered my wifes 96 Sport (<--Model), we ordered it with the Up Country package, It was an option. It came with front, t-case and gas tank skids, gas shocks, tow hooks front and rear, deleted the rear sway bar, and it did stand about 1" taller then non-Up Country XJs.

Actually, isn't 'Cherokee' the model? And 'Sport' a package? So, maybe we should think of the 'up-country' as a sub-package or special option.

summitlt said:

Not on mine theres not, it does have the vents in the back like an XJ though. I'm pretty certian this is an MJ console as it has the factory block-off where the XJ e-brake would be.

XplodJeepster said:
then how would you be able to tell at the junkyard which of the cherokee countrys have this package,
being that the tires are off of the autos and the things are resting on blocks. is there a full travel length, or should I look for ones without rear swaybars?

The tires don't change how far down the axle sit from the bottom of the Jeep. You can still measure from the hub to the bottom of the fender flare and have an accurate measurement assuming It still has most of its weight and the roof isn't cut off.

to clarify - the vehicle is supported by its frame, there is no pressure whatsoever on the axles. they are hanging at full travel because there is no weight from the jeep

If anyone has been to pickapart they'll know what I'm talking about

jeepxj89 said:
anyone know anything more about that wj high steer if it will bolt into an xj? pretty sure some machining will be required ?

This is usually fitted along with the twin piston brakes that come with them. There is a spacer needed behind the hub so that the drive shaft uni is inline with the ball joint placement of the WJ knuckles.

Back