• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep build up...ongoing

Using my trusty nonsense translator, I think that Greg is calling Nick a homo.

fine.... :rattle: haha

mitch you gonna be ready to go out soon? minus The Punisher though...?

i'm feeling a non-AAA ride home sometime in the near future...maybe???? "The Pathlooser" just doesn't like to drive itself home.

No,mine is probably a couple of months away.Oh yeah,I saved the Punisher,it will return!!!Ahhhh,the AAA trip...good times. :laugh3:

...and here I only knew about 1 AAA ride home for you, and now I hear of 1 or 2 more?! That's jsut from paragon...there were 2 more just from the road...what...lost steering, and losing a tackbar axle mount...nice.

Nick wtf! Thought that you were dead. Well the buildup looks good but what about those 33s. Thought that those were spacesaver spares. Thinking about running the moderate trails?

Pete

haha, I'm gonna run death valley on 33's, I don't know what you're talking about.

But yeah, I will pretty much attempt anything that's not just plain insane. I plan on finding some used 33" TSL's so I can at least get some more traction, but that's about it as far as tires go right now.

_nicko_

ok, well I'll add one more thing, but it's kinda small. Got the J20 box in, with the JKS/ORGS steering box plate. I used a 1979 j20 box, and it was straight up bolt on..I've read that it could have used different hoses, and have a different steering shaft spline count depending on years, but luckily, it was all the same. Great standardization!

I've done welding of thick steel to the frame before, and never had a problem, but for some reason, my welds look absolutely horrible this time...I suck.

170272_90_full.jpg

It was definitely a pain to weld the inner plate in, but it got done, and was well worth the hassle of it all.

You can see the extra part that drops down to add a tow hook...a nice addition, plus it took place of the bumper bracket.

There are 6 plug welds on the inner plate and 13 on the outside, plus sleeves through the frame welded to each plate. this thing is not budging.

just for reference, here is the comparision of stock to j20 size.

170272_92_full.jpg

now I just have to fil it with fluid, and hopefully it doesn't leak...yeah right

severely burned and bored.

So I burned myself pretty badly on monday, and today it's absolutely kiling me. I was welding up some rear cage to frame supports, and I burned through the tubing...molten metal splashed on the leaf springs and happened to bounce right into my shoe. with my welding gloves and helmet on, I was squirming on the ground trying to rip my shoes off, but it wasn't working....haha. I was laughing an in massive pain all at the same time. took out part of teh inside adn backside of my heel....making it very hard to put shoes on and to walk.

So since I'm bored, I'm going to post what I did this week...even with my hurt foot.

-filled steering system with fluid...no leaks...yahhhh.

-got the rear cage to frame braces in...they look pretty slick..:)

-cleaned our entire garage, and part of our shed/shop (took pretty much all day)

-started rock sliders....

using 2x4 3/16" tube, cut out old rockers(not as easy as I thoguht it would be) The pinch seam is very out of control, and not in the same place on both sides...so don't mesaure off of that, at least on my jeep.

I don't trust welding just to the sheetmetal for these things, and as I stated before, I didn't want things hanging below to act as more things to catch up on rocks, so trying to go from the new sliders, to the framerail was almost entirely out of the question.

What I noticed was my front and mid rollcage hoop were in the perfect spot (as with most cages) to cut a hole through inside of part of the rocker, and use a piece of tubing going from the rollcage to the new slider. This gives me the support I wanted, connects the roll cage to the body (not framerail), and you can barely even notice it...peerrrfect.

this is pretty much as far as I got yesterday..today I cut the left side rocker out, but then my foot almost made me cry :rattle:, so I'm done for at least a few hours today.

you can see both braces/arms sticking out in the front and the mid(close one)
170272_94_full.jpg

here is the brace on the mid hoop, front looks pretty much the same
170272_95_full.jpg

Now I can easily go from the rollcage to the frame rail without anything that will hang below which makes me very happy.

I haven't finished either side yet, but figured I'm bored, so why not give an update.

_nicko_

ok, finished the rockers, and all cage to frame connections.

I was wrong before, I used 2x4 1/8" wall for the rockers.

170272_97_full.jpg

there are 3 connections to the rockers (1 to frame, 2 to cage), but you can only see one of them here, which is the middle one to the frame. The other 2 are shown in the previous post. I notched out the floor for that so the tubing did not have to hang below the 2x4.

170272_96_full.jpg

Close up of the notch out, and showing the other 2 tubes are frame to cage connections.

I am not worried one bit about the 1/8" box with how these are all connected to each other. I can even say my 6 point cage has 8 frame connections. Plus the connections and the 1/8 wall are probably still lighter than just 2x4 3/16 wall only welded to sheet metal.

here is therear cage connection...goes from the rear hoop about 15" up, and diagonally though the floor behind the wheel well. It's welded to 1/8" plate which was first plug welded and fully welded around to the frame.

170272_98_full.jpg

_nicko_

haven't work on this since I got to school, but just gonna post up what I did before I got here.

Here is a shot of my cage, I just added supports to the seat belts and rear shocks hoops.
170272_102_full.jpg

close up of seat belt support.
170272_103_full.jpg

attachment of shock hoops.
170272_101_full.jpg

that's it, just felt like adding to this thread.

_nicko_

well, I missed nac-fest, sorry about it. It looked like a great time. I was going to drive up to to hang out and ride along with someone, but then my friends here got together a camping trip at high point state park in northern NJ. It was beautiful, and probably the last time I could do that with all my buddies before I move away. And Mitch, your called got dropped, sorry about that.

About a week before nac-fest I tore apart my whole front suspension to get started. I have had almost all the material needed for almost a year, and just let it sit. Now that I'm moving to houston, I need to get this done. I will defintiely be trying to organize some kind of unofficial weekend ride after I get this thing done.

First thing is the front suspension. Getting rid of the drop brackets, and building a 3-link with track bar. I stared for hours trying to find the frame end mounts for the LCA's, and finally picked this. They will be welded to the frame, and bolted from the bracket to the crossmember so I can remove the cross without worrying about the LCA's. Exhaust will need a bit of work, and either the arms will be slightly bent to clear the frame, or I will notch the frame a bit. We'll see when I get them on there.

170272_111_full.jpg

170272_112_full.jpg

The bracing on the back is not done, but there will be a tab welded to the x-member with gussets, and then a small bolt clamping that and the LCA mount together.

The upper link mount is not started yet, but as of now I'm probrobably going through the floor into the passenger side floor pan next to the alternator. It will be close, but it should work out. If not, then I get to think some more.

These might be the tabs for the upper link. From A&A mfg. They are 1/8" thick with 1/2" holes, I'll drill to 9/16". I may not be able to use the middle two holes due to the size of the RE joints. I may just use them to model my own larger tabs.
170272_116_full.jpg

These are the frame end joints, all rubicon express joints. 1" - 14 B7 alloy threaded rod.
170272_114_full.jpg

it appears my welds are getting better I hope
170272_113_full.jpg

I will also be doing some steering work while I'm at it. Just a typical crossover steering. I plan on mounting both drag link and tie-rod above the knuckle, and do some welding of the knuckle to support the top of the bolt. Hopefully that goes well... if not I can get a new knuckle easy enough. Yes, I still have the D30, and yes it's staying. I don't have the time and/or money to purchase all the parts, narrow the axle, and all that stuff. With that said, 33's are still my size of choice. I may jump to something more aggressive though. The axle will get all new brackets and a truss to keep things nice and happy.

These are all QA1 XMR's 3/4 shank, 5/8 bore from campbell enterprises, I got them for $24 each including jam nut, the best price I found anywhere. Misalignment spacers, and tube adapters are from art morrison enterprises (race car supplier). silver spacer is just from lowes.
170272_115_full.jpg

And to continue with those rear shocks hoops I made so long ago, I finally bought the shocks. 15" BBCS charged monotube shocks from poly performance, valved for leaf springs obviously. They are pretty sweet looking shocks, we'll see how they work when I actually get this going. I will work to get my leafs to get full use of these shocks. I know they are super long.

170272_110_full.jpg

Well that's all I got, haven't added to this thread in a long time as I haven't worked on it in a long time. Hopefully I can get it all done by the end of the month.

a little progress...

got the LCA's basically together. Wheelbase is set at stock.

170272_118_full.jpg

a bit closer showing space between the frame and arm. I may not need to do much frame mods at all if I get my trackbar pretty flat.
170272_119_full.jpg

clearance is good
170272_120_full.jpg

angled the bracket in a bit so the joint isn't misaligned at when on flat ground
170272_117_full.jpg

And the massive UCA mount. It's obviously not cut down yet, but that's approximately where it's going. It's going to be angled towards the rear to clear the track bar better. It will also be gusseted and tied into a truss. The arm will be going right next to the starter, and I will be cutting the stock UCA mount out and going through the floor more than likely.
170272_121_full.jpg

I'm also plan on setting the axle into full compression soon and bend the trackbar around the pumpkin just like the stock one. Basically so I know I'll never have a problem.

that's it, I work slow. I'm finally making progress though.

looks sweet Nicko,are going to try and finish it before you move?I mean finish it and use it(Paragon)?

thanks Mitch..and yes, it must be done before I go, and be used at least twice. That's my rule.

and dude, I mentioned earlier, but the call got dropped on saturday. How was nac-fest, and when is your MJ gonna be done? My brother said he'll be up for taking his out soon again too.

yeah,I guessed that,I was down by Red Ridge,very $hitty coverage.The MJ is waiting on axles,the front should be done any day.I've been using my "street" XJ for wheelin' so whenever your ready let me know.

gearwhine said:
My brother said he'll be up for taking his out soon again too.

my truck is looking "rough" to say the least. so i'm up to go if i can find some free time to freshen it up a bit. I could be telling gearwhinerbabyboy this directly though as i can see you from where i'm sitting right now...

Back