• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Long Arm Upgrade

I think the IRO stuff is one of the best on the market.

I am guessing no one will be let down by their products and customer service.

I never have, I am running the full long arm kit, Track bar, OTK steering, sliders, all 100% Angus beef.

Over kill probably for what I do, but great stuff.

I have been running the 6 1/2 long arm on my 98 Cherokee for almost 3 years now. So far the only thing to break has been the zerk fitting at the end of the arm [twice]. Easy fix. I take it on a variety of terrain from sand pits to woods trails to some technical rock crawling. Our rock trail is 90 miles from home so it gets highway use also but usually not over 65 mph. It rides better than it did stock. The caster adjustment has never moved, in fact the only thing ever to come loose was the drop track bar mount and once I gunned it down it has never come loose again.
Short list of mods includes the 6 1/2 IRO lift, 4.56 gears, rear detroit locker, MORE engine mounts, M8000 lb winch, cowl induction, on board VIAR compressor, 35 BFG KM2's, rear Yukon axles and IRO front axles with the almost alloy tabs welded over the yokes, and front Tom Woods driveshaft, custom HD bumpers and JB conversions HD231. Man, this is the best Jeep I have ever owned.

Thanks for all the input, how about swaying on highway speeds. Does it like to, or not too bad?

Glad to hear nobody is having problems with that caster adjuster yet, its my main concern. Otherwise I'm just unhappy about the ground clearance which is kinda shitty with their crossmember for the arms.

Keep it coming if you haven't reported anything lately or ever. Thanks fellas

Nothing to add about the long arm kit but I can attest to IRO in general. I bought a WJ 3" lift a few years ago and it's still going strong. After the first year the rears sagged a little but a quick call to Josh along with a few pics emailed and they sent out a new set the same day. All I had to do was pay for shipping. They stand behind their products 100% and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a thing from them (unlike my opinion on the new RE stuff which seems to have went downhill over time, try calling RE and asking about warrantying an item :gee:)

This was a good read from the beginning. These "radius arm" style lifts have really been crossing my mind. I used to have a ford explorer with independant front, and for a while, I was looking at a radius arm swap for that (commom build, most parts pulled from Broncos). I know that having the two mounting points at the frame is not a thing to worry about. Honestly, kinda surprised that concerned people IMO. Im glad to see that those who have installed and used this kit are bringing back nothing but good feedback. Makes me really want this kit more.

The goal for my jeep is 5.5", 33's, with as much flex as possible. I think this kit paired up with some soft coils would give awesome articulation in the front. Now for those leafs...... haha.

Ordered mine last week, as well as new shocks and the RK steering and track bar setuP, Just need tires now.

So I have been wanting to do this kit for a little while and have really done some research on it. Just read through this whole thread (bored at work).

So heres what I've found:

Pretty much anyone who actually has this kit, loves it, and has had little to no problems. Any problems they did have, IRO fixed the mistake.

Anyone who doesn't have it, or has a competitors LA kit says the IRO kit is junk, and just says what they think will go wrong with it.

:variety:

So I have been wanting to do this kit for a little while and have really done some research on it. Just read through this whole thread (bored at work).

So heres what I've found:

Pretty much anyone who actually has this kit, loves it, and has had little to no problems. Any problems they did have, IRO fixed the mistake.

Anyone who doesn't have it, or has a competitors LA kit says the IRO kit is junk, and just says what they think will go wrong with it.

:variety:

Yep.. It is funny how folks know all about some thing they NEVER installed or used....I have found if i wait an read alot of the write ups with real owners, that the products from IRO are real nice and work great...

5.5 feet? That sure is a pretty long arm, I guess.

Yep.. It is funny how folks know all about some thing they NEVER installed or used....I have found if i wait an read alot of the write ups with real owners, that the products from IRO are real nice and work great...

Those people who you are referring to (myself included) do not particularly like the IRO setup because it goes against many standards of suspension design and even engineering. Like having a single 10mm bolt holding the entire front axle in place. Plus the thin metal 'caster adjuster' or whatever that keeps everything lined up. The safety factor there just isn't high enough and you are putting yourself at risk. Yeah, maybe it hasn't happened yet, but maybe the people running the IRO kit don't wheel that hard? It could be just a matter of time.

This same argument has been covered many times, but everyone that runs the kit says 'you don't know what you're talking about', even when the people criticizing the kit are engineers and long-time rock crawlers, or both!

In conclusion...

Hasta

Back