• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Input on The Union

The UAW built your Jeep.
If you realy hated the UAW you'd be driving a nissan...:dunno:

Funny, because we almost "jeep" do the UAW taking everything they can.

Get it strait.... they assembled my Jeep.... I built it.......

Justin

The UAW built your Jeep.
If you really hated the UAW you'd be driving a nissan...:dunno:

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while.
Please explain how driving a jeep that we buy used most of the time, modify way beyond the engineers intentions and abuse in the pursuit of a hobby supports a union in any way.

The fact remains that the union auto workers has been overly greedy and done more damage to not only our auto industry and subsequent industries that it has for decades put strain on our economy and in return effectively destroyed entire communities reliant on labor based jobs for the common man.

Next thing you'll try and tell me is I don't love our country because I didn't vote for obama!

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while.
Please explain how driving a jeep that we buy used most of the time, modify way beyond the engineers intentions and abuse in the pursuit of a hobby supports a union in any way.

The fact remains that the union auto workers has been overly greedy and done more damage to not only our auto industry and subsequent industries that it has for decades put strain on our economy and in return effectively destroyed entire communities reliant on labor based jobs for the common man.

Next thing you'll try and tell me is I don't love our country because I didn't vote for obama!

Well said Dan....

My biggest gripe with my union is they are very liberal and they use union dues to support liberal candidates for public office.

I know that some unions have a form you can fill out that tells them you do NOT want your dues used for political purposes. I don't know what kind of controls are in place to verify that they do that but it's something.

My view? Been on both sides of the union fence. Seen deadwood and hardworking SOB's on both sides. Seen unions protecting good workers from bad employers and bad workers from good employers. I've seen sick levels of corruption out of two different locals. (One union rep posted pictures at the local hall of his buddy who was a superintendent running a crew of non-union guys doing union work. Talk about slapping your members in the face!)

Someone said it before.... it's all about money. Follow the trail and you'll see why people are doing what they are doing.

my .02

inouteek.gif

well im a union man. local 12 socal and we have no work and they havent done shit for me i lost all my healthcare and they still want me to pay dues and blah blah blah f them.
but of course when im busy i like them so i just say ftw

Please explain how driving a jeep that we buy used most of the time... supports a union in any way.

Gerr, I bought mine new. I have no issue that it was built by union labor.

The fact remains that the union auto workers has been overly greedy and done more damage to not only our auto industry and subsequent industries that it has for decades put strain on our economy

Seems to me you've bought the old Reagan anti-union paradigm (most likely propagated by big business) hook line & sinker.

These businesses can't survive without labor. If they could they would.
Cherokid hit the nail on the head when he said it's all about the green back. I see unions as wanting their fair share of it.
The people supporting the community are the ones that spend money.
Labor spends a greater % of their wages to support themselves (and their communities).

I recently read a news story about our CEO getting caught cheating on his wife. His wife is after support payments on the order of $100K/week. Sorry dude, I think if this character has enough time to have a mistress on the side, he isn't working hard enough for that $26 million/year.

If you don't like unions, don't join one. People join them because they think it can help their situation.

Board of directors dislike organized labor and often call them communist organizations.
Well, just try to get on the board of directors. It's a closed club. I you aren't in the club
you won't get on, even if you own enough stock in the company to warrant you consideration.
It's all about protecting your own interests isn't it.

Last edited:
And labor doesn't have a job without businesses to provide jobs.

In my opinion both sides need to pull their heads out of their asses and stop with this adversarial relationship crap. Stop actively trying to screw eachother, and maybe you'll both stop being so paranoid about what the other side's going to pull next.

This country has always functioned best when we all work together. Many companies are non-union because their employees haven't had a reason to unionize; management makes sure the employees get theirs and are taken care of. It all comes down to business ethics; the law is the minimum threshold, but the more you take care of the employees, the less "need" there is for the union.

XXXX unions

Sorry inlandzj from Wut i read looks like u broke a safety sensitive policy. Yes union can work for you or against you.. I work for a utility company that decides to go to remote reads and planning of letting 900 employees go in the worst economy. The company took away the direct replacement assistance program from the 900+ that will be hurt by this. Meanwhile our union is in shambles. Our union officer election were held earlier this year and the people in the same cabinets were found bashing another illegally. Using classified information that the public should never see like filed grievances about certain manager and one of the running officers. Needless to say officers were kicked out from running the election and now the national union is running the show. Unfortunately the national union is going blind into negotiations with the company bout trying to help those 900 employees on keeping their jobs. The company is trying to find the cheapest way to make money. Sadly the 900 employees don't have a chance with our shambled union. Sorry inlandzj but sounds like u broke the rules. My company finds any little thing to show that we aren't doing our jobs. Im just stating Wut going on with us. I have no compassion for people that break safety sensitive policies since they're implemented to keep the worker safe. Im on a safety committee so i have an idea of this.

Bottom line for me is im not putting all my hopes and dreams into this company. Like silverslk said look for another job if u dont like where ure at, which i am.

Last edited:
Sorry inlandzj from Wut i read looks like u broke a safety sensitive policy. Yes union can work for you or against you.. I work for a utility company that decides to go to remote reads and planning of letting 900 employees go in the worst economy. The company took away the direct replacement assistance program from the 900+ that will be hurt by this. Meanwhile our union is in shambles. Our union officer election were held earlier this year and the people in the same cabinets were found bashing another illegally. Using classified information that the public should never see like filed grievances about certain manager and one of the running officers. Needless to say officers were kicked out from running the election and now the national union is running the show. Unfortunately the national union is going blind into negotiations with the company bout trying to help those 900 employees on keeping their jobs. The company is trying to find the cheapest way to make money. Sadly the 900 employees don't have a chance with our shambled union. Sorry inlandzj but sounds like u broke the rules. My company finds any little thing to show that we aren't doing our jobs. Im just stating Wut going on with us. I have no compassion for people that break safety sensitive policies since they're implemented to keep the worker safe. Im on a safety committee so i have an idea of this.
Since now I was fired. The thing that made me mad was I was sitting still not moveing waiting for the other driver to come out so I could release the trailer. The guys in another department had told me that there supervisor said it was ok to be unbuckled when sitting still but when you start to be mobke is when you buckle up. This was bs because every one signed a stike law during the time of this new policy. I was not able to say or even enter the buiding to grab my lunch box.I did not have a record of unsafe practices. I would inform them of thing that were a saftey hazard to my self or others. This all stems from meeting this union president in the parking lot on my off day picking up my check. The supervisor made it clear to me that they did not want him around here. Even though he is a empoyee of the parent company. I worked for a third party. Almost half the poeple said they were following guys around in the ware house. Which it is very hot and they usually stay in the office. Well Friday almost have the employees called and could not beleive management treating me this way because I kept to my self and did the jobe that i was hired to do. Its out of my hands and the employees and the union president plus the union cordinator are now taking the ball. I agree that the union protects lazy rotten workers I came from a local in L.A. But nothing last forever. I try to be there for people and help whith what i have and when people try and dog me or good workers then I usually stand up. I'm not a hero or a tough guy. I like to fight back when its wrong. Some times you lose ,but aleast I can say I tried. Its ok because I am a surviver.

Since now I was fired. The thing that made me mad was I was sitting still not moveing waiting for the other driver to come out so I could release the trailer. The guys in another department had told me that there supervisor said it was ok to be unbuckled when sitting still but when you start to be mobke is when you buckle up. This was bs because every one signed a stike law during the time of this new policy. I was not able to say or even enter the buiding to grab my lunch box.I did not have a record of unsafe practices. I would inform them of thing that were a saftey hazard to my self or others. This all stems from meeting this union president in the parking lot on my off day picking up my check. The supervisor made it clear to me that they did not want him around here. Even though he is a empoyee of the parent company. I worked for a third party. Almost half the poeple said they were following guys around in the ware house. Which it is very hot and they usually stay in the office. Well Friday almost have the employees called and could not beleive management treating me this way because I kept to my self and did the jobe that i was hired to do. Its out of my hands and the employees and the union president plus the union cordinator are now taking the ball. I agree that the union protects lazy rotten workers I came from a local in L.A. But nothing last forever. I try to be there for people and help whith what i have and when people try and dog me or good workers then I usually stand up. I'm not a hero or a tough guy. I like to fight back when its wrong. Some times you lose ,but aleast I can say I tried. Its ok because I am a surviver.
sorry to hear. Move on to a better company bro.

Sorry, guys i didn't think this subject would create this much stir. I should have keep it a jeep thing. I just wanted to talk to some people about it. Back to the regular program fellas.

I'm not that big a fan of unions. I am in one because it is required to work for the county. I have had some help from the union that kept me employed but they truly have limited power in dealing with the county. I can tell you that this county (riverside) would run roughshod over it's employees if there were no fear of having to deal with the union. My biggest gripe with my union is they are very liberal and they use union dues to support liberal candidates for public office.

I feel the same way,
I am in International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, I.A.T.S.E. Local 728. I cant stand reading the liberal crap that comes in our unions bulletin.
On the other hand, I can see some half trained people doing our job as I have seen on non union movies / T.V. and it is just downright comical and dangerous. As with a lot of things, you get what you pay for. Im not saying unions are great, but they are the last hold for most of the American Middle class(Whats left of it anyway)

InlandZJ, clearly you violated a safety policy that I assume was a written rule. However, you have a good case to sue because there are a few things wrong with the scenario as you explained it. First, termination is an overly harsh reaction to a minor safety violation that didn't result in an injury or damage to any property. Second, an arbitrator would take into account the "common practice" that when you are not moving the seat belt is not required. I believe you would prevail in an arbitration hearing on both of these points. I would recommend you fight this. The company has to learn they can't just boot those they don't feel are in the clique.

Well some of the coworkers called me on saturday and to me that they had a hurry up meeting 10 minutes before the shift was over. The manager had union info in his had and to every one that it would be stupid if they signed woth the union because the rules would remain the same and the pay would be reducedthen threw the papers on the floor in the middle of the room. Then he said there was icecream in the back of the room for everyone. There were authorization cards that you fill out and send in to the board I beleive the government or the labor board The union cordinator is walking these guys through the process .This would be the only protection that the employee would have from the company firing them. When we were to get atleast 30% then the board records this company to be reconized as a union committee. There are about 50% right now from the cards being filled out and will be sent in They want about 65% to totally seal this thing solid. When they escourted me out the side door the coworkers that I was building a project with asked were i was the super said he took the rest of the day off. They are feeding every one lies but, the truth about there crookedness is comming out. The company is screwng up big time on this matter they ar every unprofesional for a huge corp. Its about how they are running this plantation and treating employees.

Back