• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Input on The Union

What do people want. Some unions have better representation than others. What are peoples take on this subject.

I'm unlucky to be in a week union but lucky enough to work for an organization that needs certified quality technicians that are in short supply and they are willing to be competitive to aquire them. What our members want has changed over the course of the economic melt down we are experiencing, 10 years ago it was all about more money, 5 years ago it was all about better retirement and now it's about maintaining what we have and staying employed. I think most of our people would be happy with a short term contract with a token raise on no concessions in health care or retirement and hope for a better economic situation in 2 years.
If the economy were better right now we'd be after better retiree medical first, but it's not so were treading water right now.

Theres a cap on the wage here and a strict point system fired for simple stuff. Always pushing for more and taking care of the employees. BS. Why do big companies piss on the workers who keep there business running. Do you think the customers would buy there product if you knew the supplier was making bank and beating the employees. Get the point yet. Like i said you do not have a voice that counts. California dogs the idea anmore. think about making crappy wages and after two years no more increase only the cost of joke living. Ya, in the Socal. Raise everything but the workers salary. Yes Unions are different from back in the day less violence now more paper work in the war room. I need a trail run bad. clear my mind of this life effecting drama. Sometimes just wrenchin under the ZJ cures all the problems. Kick up some dirt some were. Grimms desert run would be killer but I might not want to come back to reality. I will survive another blast.

Unions suck! There used to be a time and place for them, but not now, not today.....

They cause higher prices for businesses, union members, and customers/consumers.... nobody wins...

I believe in fair treatment, but too many people are "protected" and don't really deserve it. Union members can give themselves a raise by droppping out and not paying union dues....

x10000000000

They built our country and now they are tearing the country down.

Union sucks (just my experience working with them).

You're kidding me right? If you don't like your job, your wage or your benefits.....do what I do.....FIND ANOTHER JOB THAT DOES or go to school and get a degree!!!! Don't hold a company hostage and demand more. This and YOU are why I HATE Unions. Look at DWP in LA....do they NEED an on site Personal Trainer in the gym? Breastfeeding classes? NO yet the union demanded all those things and once you give in...they just DEMAND MORE!!!!

dont you have anything better to do than bitch about your personal life on a Jeep website??????:looser:
Dont read the tread if you dont like it right? I did not see a general non jeep section to post this. How would feel if running a red light was a one strike rule but there is you and a car next to you and both run the light cop decides to pull you over and take you jeep. Would you be cool with that.

Not all unions are bad. As an art teacher in a public school, my job has been on the chopping block for years. They are cutting the arts left and right. Luckily the teachers union has gone to bat for me numerous times to protect my job and pay. I can proudly say I am now going into my 9th year of teaching in a bad economy that is blood thirsty to get rid of all visual and performing arts, all due to my teachers union. In the right setting with the right circumstances they protect the american worker and allow people to stay employed. Ofcourse that isn't always the case.

Not all unions are bad. As an art teacher in a public school, my job has been on the chopping block for years. They are cutting the arts left and right. Luckily the teachers union has gone to bat for me numerous times to protect my job and pay. I can proudly say I am now going into my 9th year of teaching in a bad economy that is blood thirsty to get rid of all visual and performing arts, all due to my teachers union. In the right setting with the right circumstances they protect the american worker and allow people to stay employed. Ofcourse that isn't always the case.
Thats good to hear. Its all about working your right as a employee. You dont always have back up and the companies can toss you around if you dont know your labor rights. Those of you who dont know the companies can do and get away with alot and you would not be able to do anything about it. How about the farming industry?

You're kidding me right? If you don't like your job, your wage or your benefits.....do what I do.....FIND ANOTHER JOB THAT DOES or go to school and get a degree!!!! Don't hold a company hostage and demand more. This and YOU are why I HATE Unions. Look at DWP in LA....do they NEED an on site Personal Trainer in the gym? Breastfeeding classes? NO yet the union demanded all those things and once you give in...they just DEMAND MORE!!!!

I read a book about that once.

I think it was called If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...

So you teach finger painting in highschool? :p j/k

I went to a Visual arts Magnet in HIghschool and it was great!

I have never been in a Union nor do i know anyone in one. So i really dont have much to input on this topic.

On the bright side, its almost friday! woot! Vacation here i come!

XXXX unions.

OF COURSE people in unions like them, theyre making their pay, and a 1/3rd of MY pay, for working less than i do.

XXXX unions. simple as that.

the worst XXXXing part, is on public works projects, california has laws that say you must hire union workers for a portion of the hours.
HOW THE XXXX DID THIS PERMEATE THE LEGAL SYSTEM OF OUR COUNTRY?

XXXX unions.

OF COURSE people in unions like them, theyre making their pay, and a 1/3rd of MY pay, for working less than i do.

XXXX unions. simple as that.

the worst XXXXing part, is on public works projects, california has laws that say you must hire union workers for a portion of the hours.
HOW THE XXXX DID THIS PERMEATE THE LEGAL SYSTEM OF OUR COUNTRY?
I'm not that big a fan of unions. I am in one because it is required to work for the county. I have had some help from the union that kept me employed but they truly have limited power in dealing with the county. I can tell you that this county (riverside) would run roughshod over it's employees if there were no fear of having to deal with the union. My biggest gripe with my union is they are very liberal and they use union dues to support liberal candidates for public office.

This thread gives me a headache like some one posted if you don't like it where you are find another place you do plain and simple. Till then spend more time wheeling and looking for better options

I'm not that big a fan of unions. I am in one because it is required to work for the county. I have had some help from the union that kept me employed but they truly have limited power in dealing with the county. I can tell you that this county (riverside) would run roughshod over it's employees if there were no fear of having to deal with the union. My biggest gripe with my union is they are very liberal and they use union dues to support liberal candidates for public office.

my problem is the fact that people like you, must join their union to do what people like you do.

from the citie's POV, im sure they have to put up with a lot of bullshit too, from bad employee's, lazy employees, etc. obviously im not saying you're a bad employee, but unions protect the bad employee's, just as much as the good ones, and thats lame. bad employee's shouldnt be protected.

This thread gives me a headache like some one posted if you don't like it where you are find another place you do plain and simple. Till then spend more time wheeling and looking for better options

i work for a glass company, non union. im happy being non union, im happy where i work... but the city is un happy that im not a union employee, they force my company to hire a union guy, who doesnt belong in our small company, just because its a library? he gets waay more breaks, just for being union? i take lunch hard, i work from 7am-3pm, take an hour lunch.. i think thats PLENTY, i cannot imagine taking another 15 minute break, half way thru after lunch, thats just lazy shit. LAZY.

know how mexicans joke about mexi-CANS and mexi-CANT'S? im a ameriCAN. no pussy shit breaks just to flex power.
what i mean to say, is i found the right company, one where i dont need to pay a douche with a desk to 'represent' me with bullshit strong phone-arm tactics.

but unions protect the bad employee's, just as much as the good ones,
While this may be true in some circumstances, it is absolutely not in my union. I am shop steward for my workplace and if someone breaks the rules and is caught, the only thing I can do for them is make sure they are treated in accordance with the terms of the contract. If someone earns their way out, they are out. There is a time consuming review process but we can't "protect" someone who is not doing their job. I think this is a common misconception about unions. The union only has the power to ensure the employer follows the terms of the contract. They can also put pressure on the employer in some other ways but in the end, as long as the employer is following the contract, they can blow off the union. There are political reasons why that's not their best move but the reality is that the union can't make them do anything. My union is not very politically strong with the county, like some other unions are elsewhere.

my dad has been a teamster for 25 yrs.. the union has saved his ass a few times.. and they have kept him employeed thru all he cut backs and lay offs.. they also helped him when he got injured on the job.. so i believe in the union.. how ever some people take advantage of that saftey net and abuse it and skate thru doing little work... so its a two way street..

While this may be true in some circumstances, it is absolutely not in my union. I am shop steward for my workplace and if someone breaks the rules and is caught, the only thing I can do for them is make sure they are treated in accordance with the terms of the contract. If someone earns their way out, they are out. There is a time consuming review process but we can't "protect" someone who is not doing their job. I think this is a common misconception about unions. The union only has the power to ensure the employer follows the terms of the contract. They can also put pressure on the employer in some other ways but in the end, as long as the employer is following the contract, they can blow off the union. There are political reasons why that's not their best move but the reality is that the union can't make them do anything. My union is not very politically strong with the county, like some other unions are elsewhere.

What if an employer catches an employee sleeping? They have to get you before they approach the employee, right? So if the steward makes noise and wakes the employee....where is the proof? I have heard of things like this happening and it is one of the reasons for "protecting the lazy" being a reason to dislike unions.

I applied for a union job at the docks (running a vacuum sucking lye out of ships cargo areas via joystick controls). They explained to me that two of us "worked" together and once we both came on shift, one would go on break for two hours while the other vacuumed for two hours. We would then switch. Then one would go from break to lunch and the other from working to lunch. After lunch one to 2 hour break and one to vacuum........4 hours working out of a 8 hour work day (not including lunch).....come on now......abuse is an understatement.

Oh, and it paid $24 an hour (or something like that).

I applied for a union job at the docks (running a vacuum sucking lye out of ships cargo areas via joystick controls). They explained to me that two of us "worked" together and once we both came on shift, one would go on break for two hours while the other vacuumed for two hours. We would then switch. Then one would go from break to lunch and the other from working to lunch. After lunch one to 2 hour break and one to vacuum........4 hours working out of a 8 hour work day (not including lunch).....come on now......abuse is an understatement.

Oh, and it paid $24 an hour (or something like that).

where do i sign up?! :D

HAHA. No kidding Grimm. I didn't get the job. I probably looked like I couldn't sit arond for 2 hours twice a day. I was 200 lbs instead of 250 back then.

Back