• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

It’s has nothing to do with heating cooling cycles. They are hardened and that is here they stay. It’s about the polishing or “finish” the ring and pinion mating surfaces get to one another. Aftermarket gears are not near as smooth as a factory cut gear set. The finish just isn’t there as when they finish grind from the factory. But after a “break in” period they polish together.

Basic short answer to a whole lot longer and complex system of making gears.

I set up a set of gears many years ago with nothing more than the filament off of a cigarette package, put them in the back of a Cherokee with an 800 horse small block with no frame stiffys, we pulled smoky burnouts and made the thing twist, the doors fell off, brought it to Moab and jumped it off of cliffs. Then drove it all the way home im drive 2 with the red line pegged, but I would slam on the brakes and hammer it again just to make my gears wear extra hard. Then I stopped at the humane society and punched some kittens too. Oh, and may, or may not have, gotten a handy at a few truck stops.....

I set up a set of gears many years ago with nothing more than the filament off of a cigarette package, put them in the back of a Cherokee with an 800 horse small block with no frame stiffys, we pulled smoky burnouts and made the thing twist, the doors fell off, brought it to Moab and jumped it off of cliffs. Then drove it all the way home im drive 2 with the red line pegged, but I would slam on the brakes and hammer it again just to make my gears wear extra hard. Then I stopped at the humane society and punched some kittens too. Oh, and may, or may not have, gotten a handy at a few truck stops.....

I thought that was josh’s jeep?

Years ago when I built the popcan, we went to set the gears up in the front 60...

We found a cigarette butt under the pinion seal in the front.

On the LJ we did the gears 5 years ago...I have maybe 2500 miles on them since. The first 500 miles were in Moab in 2013...

mac 'not even sure I've changed the gear oil since then' gyvr

You know. Some of the new guys might think you're joking.

I don't change my gear oil, the water comming in from the leaky pinion seal flushes all the mud and bad stuff out for me.

Is this a good trade for me? Assuming same amount of tread wear on both. My 5- 33x12.5x15 km2's for a set of 5-35x12.5x15 cooper stt pro's

mac ‘hang on d30’ gyvr

I can run 35s, i never considered them really cause i got 8 of these 33s laying around...but...

mac ‘we’ll see if dude pulls the trigger’ gyvr

I told him yes...

He said he needs to think about it.

It’s exactly what his post is asking for...

We shall see if he backs out...

The ball is in his court...

mac ‘play ball!’ gyvr

Back