• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Re: Re: Important

What harness did you delete? GPC Glow plug controller?

From what I read on a random google search wiring diagram the power wire for the GP light is a black/ppl wire with a 20a fusible link. The only way I see for it to be lit is if that wire maybe got put on the wrong side of the solenoid.
The light is constant grounded and is powered when the glow plug relay is engaged. The only thing I can think of is an incorrectly placed wire.
I took out the stupid factory international engine harness, all of it. Nothing hooked up to glow plug controller (don't want it killing my new plugs).
I have 4 wires hooked to the glow plug solenoid, each running two plugs. The fuel solenoid, cold advance, and high idle are run off of one key switched wire (cold advance and high idle are on the factory temperature switch).
The overtemp light switch and temperature sender are hooked up the factory way.
Oil pressure sender is mounted to the firewall and uses the factory wire (never seen it on the firewall before, looks factory).
This is the way it was in the 85 truck. Everything worked and the wts light came on when I would run the glow plugs.
I'll have to crawl under the dash and see what is going on, im thinking someone spliced into the wts light and it's getting power from somewhere.
I know for a fact that the black/purp wire that goes on the solenoid isn't hooked up yet.

I've never owned a Haynes or Chilton for any vehicle. I used to use the Michigan Chilton library if I really needed to, but always had jeep FSMs.
I can't get into the Michigan stuff now, they have locked it down and you can't get Into it with just a random Michigan DL number anymore.
Haven't found a Ford FSM PDF.

Last edited:
you know, I generally drive like an old man and piss people off, but occasionally I like to hear the 4 liter sing.

pretty ricky does not disappoint above 4 grand.

Got the 2000 limited running. New to me fuel pump is working great. But now the radiator has a leak. And the e-fan won't turn on. Will go to advance and get their best radiator, right Nate? :gag:

k5 'they come in three's' matt

Got the 2000 limited running. New to me fuel pump is working great. But now the radiator has a leak. And the e-fan won't turn on. Will go to advance and get their best radiator, right Nate? :gag:

k5 'they come in three's' matt

only if you like doing the job twice and wasting hours on the phone.

of all the cheap parts store radiators I've had I tihnk I agree with Doug, the Oreilly's one seems to be the best $100 radiator.

Don't they all come from the same place anyways? Maybe not radiators, but I've seen people spouting about how such and such a parts store has the best sensors... when they're all selling Standard Auto sensors in the same boxes. Just don't get it.

As for warranty, I completely get you there... I didn't buy anything from autozone for a couple years because of some idiot counter flunkie warranty bullshit behavior. I still usually don't but these days it's because there isn't an autozone in my town.

some small differences. The oreilly's one I put in pretty ricky had a brass tank for the trans cooler, the advance one is aluminum.
oreillys also had a thread in fitting for the push lock, which makes getting that bastard off way easier, advance is a solid piece that made that a PITA.

it's all cheap china, but some cheap china is better than other.

I worked at Advance for a couple years in college, and was a diehard AAP guy until I bought parts at OReilly. Some of their stuff is just plain better, and they keep a lot more in stock. The ORP in our town gets deliveries from the hub 2x daily, whereas AAP only got them in the morning, so sometimes you have a chance of getting a part the same day if you order before noon.

I caught some flak from my manager when I worked there because I would buy parts we didn't have from ORP and sell them to our customers so they could have them the same day. Once he realized they were spending money at our store instead of going down the street he backed off a bit. Poorboy87 can relate I'm sure.

Warranty stuff seemed easier to work through if the customer had a commercial account. You can set up a commercial account with a regular CC if you want, no need to get a AAP line of credit. They may have changed their computers since I worked there, but if you tried to get a warranty part looked up at other than your home store it was a PITA because the computers didn't talk to each other.

My sister got a XJ because she had terrible luck with vehicles an wanted something her brothers could work on if necessary. Her crank sensor needs replaced :'(

At least that's a pretty easy part to replace... annoying getting to it, but it's a 10 minute process on a hot engine on the side of the road.

Don't make me prove it. I can, and will, but I won't enjoy it :spin1:

At least that's a pretty easy part to replace... annoying getting to it, but it's a 10 minute process on a hot engine on the side of the road.

Don't make me prove it. I can, and will, but I won't enjoy it :spin1:

durbins sausage forearms aren't gonna make that happen in ten minutes.

I worked there too for about 5 years. Im still a diehard AAP guy mainly because Ive bought 90% of my stuff through them. I try to keep all my stuff at one store for warranty purposes. Like Byron said having a commercial account there helps alot.

Since I have been out of there it seems like the quality of the parts there has gone down hill. They have all but quit carrying TRW parts and only carry junk OE stuff. I cant think of the name they sell them as now. They only stock junk bargain basement parts and then Moog. The price difference is insane. The people they have working there now dont know much. Ive all but quit calling in for prices. I still walk in walk behind the counter look up my own parts and pull them off the shelf. They all know me.

As far as radiators go. Any parts store radiator is junk. When I replaced the one in the Jeep I put a two core copper and brass one in from Advance. It was twice the money as the cheap one but I didnt want to have to do it again. I dont even know if they still carry them.

Last edited:
Back