• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you're running Carling Contura switches in a '97-up overhead console...

I've used the cutoff wheel trick before - yeah, it's all in choosing a line a bit in from the final edge and then finishing up with something else.

A nibbler is pretty much the perfect tool for this job, so long as the plastic is thinner than 1/8 and there aren't any corners it can get trapped in. For clarification, not an air nibbler, one of those hand powered ones radio shack used to sell. They were pretty shitty for metal other than .031 aluminum, but worked great on plastic. I bought my local store's entire stock at 4 bucks a whack when they went on clearance because I wasn't sure where else I could get them (internet :doh:) and I was going through one every few weeks working on a project with some 18ga steel involved. :looney:

I was only familiar with air nibblers. Thought they would be way too big and cumbersome for the job. Didn't realize there was such a thing as a hand nibbler. The OHC plastic is no more than 1/8" so I imagine it would work pretty well. I think I've already cut out all the switch holes I'll ever need in my interior, but I'll have to try to find one of those should the need arise again.

For those that put contura switches where the stock switches and outlets are, where did you move the stock switches (rear defrost and rear wiper)?

I suppose those two could just be replaced with contura switches but the rear defrost has a timer that cuts off at a certain interval. Not sure if this is in the switch or not but it does make the switch a bit different as is more of a button type switch than a two position toggle.

Last edited:
Here's the write-up I did on my install. Came our really tight but was a ton of work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CherokeeXJ/comments/1z3np8/topic_xj_dash_project_custom_switch_mount/

dejqQne.jpg

Looks awesome. I ended up using the daystar TJ air vent to mount my switches. Pop out one of the upper air vents in the center console, pop in the new bracket, and mount carling switches. You can do two in each vent. It was a really handy spot for my ARB compressor and front locker switches, very easy and natural to reach.

Looks awesome. I ended up using the daystar TJ air vent to mount my switches. Pop out one of the upper air vents in the center console, pop in the new bracket, and mount carling switches. You can do two in each vent. It was a really handy spot for my ARB compressor and front locker switches, very easy and natural to reach.

Care to share how you handled the issues with the rear defrost and wiper switches?

Here is how I handled my switches. I made my own custom switch pod. It was a lot of work but I'm really pleased how it turned out.

picture.php

picture.php

Here is how I handled my switches. I made my own custom switch pod. It was a lot of work but I'm really pleased how it turned out.

picture.php

picture.php

This is what I'm thinking of doing! Makes more sense to me since I kinda want to keep my defrost/rear wiper, and don't really want to mess with relocating them too...

So, I saw a post recently where someone mounted switches in the garage door opener compartment in their factory OHC. Can't seem to find it now. Have any of you done that?

That compartment is useless to me and I'd like the switches to be farther forward for an easier reach.

So, I saw a post recently where someone mounted switches in the garage door opener compartment in their factory OHC. Can't seem to find it now. Have any of you done that?

That compartment is useless to me and I'd like the switches to be farther forward for an easier reach.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=954418

This one? Splitz and Fyrfytr(somethingsomething) also had some really cool console switch setups. Probably easiest to google image search and find those threads.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=954418

This one? Splitz and Fyrfytr(somethingsomething) also had some really cool console switch setups. Probably easiest to google image search and find those threads.

Not the one I had in mind but that one was cool. Saw that earlier today.

The one I saw completely replaced the garage door opener compartment door so that it could be put back to OEM if you wanted to.

Picked up an extra bezel and stock switch panel from the JY last weekend, playing around with some switch options. Did this tonight:

Doesn't look quite as factory as nhurto's and eventually would like to go that way, but I don't have need for that many switches yet.

Still needs some touching up, but a good solution for those without an overhead console.

Back