• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I guess PO didn't change the oil much

You can also put it in park and hold the RPM's at about 3000 for about 3 minutes or so. That, and the Rotella/ MMO got rid of my tick. What year Jeep do you have?

Have you changed out the oil filter adapter o rings and changed the oil filter adapter to SAE threads?. I did that to my 87. Tonight I am going to switch the oil filter to a NAPA 1773 filter just because I can:yap:. The filter is 7" long and will only fit a RENIX with the vertical oil filter mount.

I am in Woodstock. What part of GA are you in?

Have you changed out the oil filter adapter o rings and changed the oil filter adapter to SAE threads?. I did that to my 87. Tonight I am going to switch the oil filter to a NAPA 1773 filter just because I can:yap:. The filter is 7" long and will only fit a RENIX with the vertical oil filter mount.

I am in Woodstock. What part of GA are you in?

I'm in Blue Ridge. Actually moved here from 92 a few years ago.

Anyways, oil filter orings just changed. Still the stock adapter though.

I would like more info on the sae adapter and 7 inch oil filter :)

Since you just replaced the O rings, they will be fine. You need to remove the old adapter with, IIRC, a 22mm deep socket. I had a friend who had one. If you don't have a deep socket, remove the oil filter base again. Now use a dremel with a cut off disc, or hack saw, and cut the old adapter tube down so you can get a standard socket over the nut. Clean out all the metal shavings and install the new adapter.

Once done, it opens up the options of a bunch of other filters. I used a NAPA1773. Wix makes the NAPA filters, and either make is all I will use in my Jeep.

Hope this helps.

Did second oil change today with rotella and mmo. Looking down through the oil fill the sludge appears to be getting better. Oil wasn't nearly as toast this time either, so maybe there is hope!

Also have not experienced the tick recently, and its even been reaaly cold as of late

Did second oil change today with rotella and mmo. Looking down through the oil fill the sludge appears to be getting better. Oil wasn't nearly as toast this time either, so maybe there is hope!

Also have not experienced the tick recently, and its even been reaaly cold as of late

Keep doing what you're doing. Your experience mimmicks mine.

Alright, update! After 4 2k mi oil changes I dropped the pan. New pan gasket and rms. The pan and bottom end had minimal sludge build up, top end looks much better but the oil pickup was nearly clogged, I'm surprised I had oil pressure!

So the rotella and MMO did a great job, my question is should I continue to use the MMO now, or just stick to straight rotella?

Here's what the pan looked like fwiw. This after just wiping it out
umejuped.jpg

Thanks cruiser, you've been great help learning to deal with this old renix :)

Now, I hope this RMS and new 1piece oil pan gasket do the trick rather than that glued together POS I had to scrape off.
I spent nearly an entire day straightening out the pan flange in hopes of no leaks, I've done the VC gasket, oil adapter orings, oil pressure sending unit and distributor gasket already. Fingers crossed!

I'm VERY impressed with your results. That's really clean. I've only observed mine with a flashlight through the oil filler hole and noticed an improvement. That oil pan pic sums it up nicely. So, how long did you run the "mix" of Rotella and MMO? Which Rotella did you use? Oil and filter change intervals?

I used the 15-40 rotella 5qt to 1qt MMO and Purolator classic filters. It's been 3 months and 8k miles averaging 2k between changes.

Back