• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I drove the future in SUV's and it is....

ACE

NAXJA Forum User
A VW Touareg V10 TDI.

1015big.jpg

1013big.jpg

volkswagen03.jpg

My wife and I were invited to a test drive of one of these last Saturday. I am still giddy as hell from that test drive.
Put it in 4wd and press the "Lock" button and do a 4 wheel burnout at part throttle! Drives superb on road and the only off-road we saw was gravel.
The torque is just undescribeable (or spell-able?). 553 lbft of torque at just 2000 rpm and 31 mpg on the highway. Too bad it costs twice my new car budget at $61,000. :wow:
I encourage everyone to get out and test drive one of these.
Oh, and for all you knobs about to post how crappy of a wheeler it is, please.

ACE said:
A VW Touareg V10 TDI.

1015big.jpg

1013big.jpg

volkswagen03.jpg

My wife and I were invited to a test drive of one of these last Saturday. I am still giddy as hell from that test drive.
Put it in 4wd and press the "Lock" button and do a 4 wheel burnout at part throttle! Drives superb on road and the only off-road we saw was gravel.
The torque is just undescribeable (or spell-able?). 553 lbft of torque at just 2000 rpm and 31 mpg on the highway. Too bad it costs twice my new car budget at $61,000. :wow:
I encourage everyone to get out and test drive one of these.
Oh, and for all you knobs about to post how crappy of a wheeler it is, please.

I LOVE those things, I want to get one but I am broke and the dealer would kick me off their land if I drove up in my banged up XJ. How was the interior finish? Did the truck impress you besides the engine?

Yeah, but that second pic is of the guy walking from Saudi Arabia with a gallon of gas...

I love them too, they are supposed to be pretty capable offroad, as far as new SUVs go. They look great in black.

mad maXJ said:
so does it have lockers front and rear or did you only do a 2 wheel burnout?

he did say

"Put it in 4wd and press the "Lock" button and do a 4 wheel burnout at part throttle!"

sounds like fun

mad maXJ said:
so does it have lockers front and rear or did you only do a 2 wheel burnout?

It just has a center and rear locking differential but the parking lot we tested in has 4 strips of rubber laid down from the burnout. :spin1:

The interior is just exquisite. I liked everything about the vehicle. Time will tell if it also suffers the VW reliability.

HHmmm...This phenomenon has been recently discussed at a jeeper gathering...

Why do jeepers seem to own Volkswagens?

Does it go back to a VW Thing?

what gives?

Gil "beware the teal jetta" Bullycatz

First damn car I owned was a VW bug, and I HAD to learn to work work on cars. Then I picked up a copy of Dune Buggies and Hot VW's to try to learn something about the POS, and I was hooked on Infernal Combustion machines ever since.
I'm impressed with the Toureg, but I'm sort of fond of the Porsche Cayenne. :laugh2:

Fred

Steelerfan said:
61k I could buy two brand new Rubicons for that much money. And either one of them would be a much better off roader..

but both of them combined do not have the torque that the TD has.

I want one. bad.

Gil BullyKatz said:
HHmmm...This phenomenon has been recently discussed at a jeeper gathering...

Why do jeepers seem to own Volkswagens?

Does it go back to a VW Thing?

what gives?

Gil "beware the teal jetta" Bullycatz

Yeah, I don't know what it is. I've had a VW of some sort in my garage along with the Jeep (well, had a VW longer) since I could drive.

poomba said:
Yeah, but that second pic is of the guy walking from Saudi Arabia with a gallon of gas...
I'll agree that your remark is amusing, but note in the original post where he refers to the power plant as a V10 TDI.

The V10 is a diesel. As big as it is, I think it can give many of our XJs a run for their money in pure range per tank. As a result, the correct term is "fuel".

Rob

First off outside of dunes and dirt roads I'd not take it off road like I do the jeep.
Second yea you could get two Rubis but that V-10 is just "dead sexy"
Third it would be my tow vehical!
Fourth I want one!

2 Rookiecons?
I will suck your headlights out in the V10 Toureg, doing 110 with the cruise on, and the XJ on a trailer behind it, with 2 kids in the back seat watching a DVD, the A/C on, and my smelly yellow dog lounging in the back next to our luggage.
I have always liked and owned VWs, and my wyfe currently has a limited edition Jetta GLI. I have had it doing 130 in 5th gear, and had one to go. Its like a 100 mph leather recliner with a Monsoon stereo that gets 25 mpg. Granted, its not as easy to work on as the VWs I started out with, but I feel entirely safe trusting it to transport my family.(Except when doing the aforementioned 130 mph runs through the countryside.)
My $.02, and a little more.
Hasta.

Diesel is yummy, whatever flavor it comes in.

Fill it with bio-diesel, and you'd have all the luxury, plus the smell of french fries. :D

CRASH

For you nay-sayers....

http://www.volkswagen-dakar.com/english.0.html

"We're more than satisfied, having fully achieved our objective of seeing both cars cross the finish line. Our sixth position overall and numerous excellent stage finishes prove the viability of the Race-Touareg's concept and the fact that Volkswagen are on the right track,"

WOW! 6th place over all!

bgcntry72 said:
2 Rookiecons?
I will suck your headlights out in the V10 Toureg, doing 110 with the cruise on, and the XJ on a trailer behind it, with 2 kids in the back seat watching a DVD, the A/C on, and my smelly yellow dog lounging in the back next to our luggage.
I have always liked and owned VWs, and my wyfe currently has a limited edition Jetta GLI. I have had it doing 130 in 5th gear, and had one to go. Its like a 100 mph leather recliner with a Monsoon stereo that gets 25 mpg. Granted, its not as easy to work on as the VWs I started out with, but I feel entirely safe trusting it to transport my family.(Except when doing the aforementioned 130 mph runs through the countryside.)
My $.02, and a little more.
Hasta.

I personally have had extremely bad luck with VW products. So I just won't buy one. And even if the Tourreck could do 110 towing an Xj on a trailer(which I doubt) There aren't many places where you can get away with it for very long now days.

Back