• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question regarding a 4x4 1999 XJ, turning in 4H and 4L why is it so difficult?

94xjva

NAXJA Forum User
I test drove my buddy's 99 XJ today its a 5 speed, drives like new...when its in 2 wheel drive. When you put it in 4H its a little harder to shift in the sense that you need to shift at a lower rpm, but when you turn it like say a u-turn at low speed it jerks a lot....when your driving straight or you do a slight turn like say a lane switch its no prob. But like I said a hard turn at low speed like a full u-turn it jerks a lot and it's hard to do. Is that normal? Also in 4L the rev's to shift at are extremely low and same issue with doing a big turn at a low speed. I don't know if this is manual specific or what. Anyone with a 4x4 5spd XJ please help me with this. The guy did a transfer case drop and has a 3" lift, 30" tires, and a bunch of other suspension parts on it....over all trucks in great shape though, and in 2wd it drives flawlessly and that's considering I haven't driven manual in years! But it's like riding a bike you never forget!

Never run the 4wd on the street.. the jerking you re describing is from putting your jeep in 4h and running it on dry pavement.. It will jerk the steering wheel.. its not a full time 4wd system so its normal.
4low top speed is like 20mph..
its not ment to go fast, its LOW. so yeah, it will require you to shift faster..

Mark

you dont need to shift from 1st to 5th when in 4low.. you can start off in 3rd if you wanted to.

mark

Gotcha so 4H is only for snow, dirt off roading....its not meant to be driven on dry pavement? I was worried thinking it might have an issue. So when would I use high and when would I use low? Does the 2WD get you by in the snow?

Wow! :wierd:

on the off chance too there could be an underlying problem here too like tires of different sizes (even if same brand and size, varying tread depths can cause hop)

also being a 11 year old vehicle, someone at one time might have done an axle swap and mixed gears or just installed gears on one and never got to the other

just some thoughts,

KP

Gotcha so 4H is only for snow, dirt off roading....its not meant to be driven on dry pavement? I was worried thinking it might have an issue. So when would I use high and when would I use low? Does the 2WD get you by in the snow?

I thought an almost doctor would know this information.:idea:

Back