• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I am soooo done with this xj... please help me search for a "better" one..

Re: I am soooo done with this xj... please help me search for a "better" one..

yep i was refering to you and my buddies dad and another buddy... all 97+ xj's for around 1k.... no problems... ill wait for a bit to find what im looking for... not in a big hurry.... just sort of frusterating at times cuz at one time you can find like 3-4 at one time and the next time aint sh*t....
Yeah, it's just the luck of the draw. Be patient and be ready to jump on something if it's a good deal. That was my approach and I landed something nice for a steal.

Yeah, it's just the luck of the draw. Be patient and be ready to jump on something if it's a good deal. That was my approach and I landed something nice for a steal.

yep i hear ya... thats why i have CASH ready to go!! lol its not that im totally against you Rocketman etc... just i am pointing out that deals are out there... and ill wait to find one if i have too....

The deal above is UNBELIEVABLY RARE... Really... don't hold your breath for one of those.

$3000-$3500 is a better starting point.

Dont' rule out eBay and even dealers. The mom and pop used car dealers buy many of their cars from auction and jack the price and shine them up. Have the cash in a cashiers check and see if you can go to an auto auction. BIG one out here in Bolingbrook.

Keep checking Craigslist, eBay, Autofinder.

BE PATIENT.

Probably for minimal cost and with some "expertise," your current rig could hold you over after a full checkout by the more senior members of this fine organization. That will give you some time to save more for that next rig.

OK club members and non... time to man up and help out a newb wheeler with some of that much talked about Jeep wisdom.

I'm in for a day of a full once over on my old beast. I do have some intimate knowledge of the crate although somewhat outdated. I have serious air, tools and a clean garage. (not in the realm of a setup like Zach's or others but workable)

The deal above is UNBELIEVABLY RARE... Really... don't hold your breath for one of those.

$3000-$3500 is a better starting point.

Dont' rule out eBay and even dealers. The mom and pop used car dealers buy many of their cars from auction and jack the price and shine them up. Have the cash in a cashiers check and see if you can go to an auto auction. BIG one out here in Bolingbrook.

Keep checking Craigslist, eBay, Autofinder.

BE PATIENT.

Probably for minimal cost and with some "expertise," your current rig could hold you over after a full checkout by the more senior members of this fine organization. That will give you some time to save more for that next rig.

OK club members and non... time to man up and help out a newb wheeler with some of that much talked about Jeep wisdom.

I'm in for a day of a full once over on my old beast. I do have some intimate knowledge of the crate although somewhat outdated. I have serious air, tools and a clean garage. (not in the realm of a setup like Zach's or others but workable)

Rocketman pm sent....

dont quite have time for "wrenchfest" however really appreciate the offer... maybe in a few months it could be doable if someone people are willing to help!

Thanks!!

btw Rob....
I cant really drive it down the block due to the issues with the trans... not shifting.... and the smoke filling the cabin can pretty much knock me out after 1/2 hour of driving... yea i had to get home and was a half an hour away.. can u say cough??

Understood... you got my PM on the issues you outlined in yours.

Start with that O2 sensor and disconnect the battery overnight to reset the computer.

GO TO AUTOZONE AND GET THE STOP SMOKE STOP LEAK AND PUT IT IN THE OIL. IT WORKS GREAT

dont know if anyone cares but

im going to look at a

classic
blk...
4x4
178,000 on the clock..
mostly high way miles to and from chicago everyday...
nothing mechanically wrong....

for $1500...

ill let ya guys know...

btw im still looking... (unless i buy it tonight!)

Let me know how it goes.

Let me know how it goes.

No dice... the guy that was selling it let a guy put a $40 dollar deposit on it and then guy never showed then next day....

I said that i would come right away with cash and possibly buy it but then he said oooo well the guy has a deposit...... and said that if the guy wouldnt come by 630 then he would call me... I called him at 645 he said oooo i told u the buyer would be coming around 630-700 so i wait until 745 no call (said that he would call me regardless...) so i call him and he said the guy was there.... etc...

he calls me back like an hour later and says its gone.....

NO DICE!!

So ill keep looking no biggie...

Thanks!

no reason not to look for an older XJ if the miles are low.

i suppose....

it just that i prefer the styling of the 97+ body style...
and everything like hoses, brake lines, less RUST....,LESS RUST!

I know that if i find a really good condition older model it wouldnt hurt either... keeping lots of options open here...

however, there is some key things that must be kept...

1) only have around 2k for a budget (this is a must!)
2) MUST MUST be reliable in every way... (less miles better of coarse..)
cuz im not going to be stranded any more!!! 3 times tooo many!

3) prefer 97+ body style.... (would like to get the new style but old might be ok..)
4) Clean title...
5) not to far to travel.. about 30miles max from either 60560 or 53919 area..

Thats about it... lol :thumbup: :roll: lol

anyone find anything around here??

I have check craigslist so many times..... nothing that interested me there....

anyone! lol

I say you should just fix yours! :D

I say you should just fix yours! :D

yup been thinking of that too!!

how much do you think the rebuilding of a trans would cost?

my buddy says that i should buy one from a junkyard but i might be in the same situation as i am in now in a few months then.....

so i was thinking around 500-600 to rebuild it... me taking it out and putting it back in....

i guess i really dont even know if it is the trans for sure...
(just wont shift out of 1st easily have to go up to 4-5k before it shifts an then it shifts extremely hard and it WONT shift out of 2nd.... and i get really nervous reving then engine that high with 240k+ plus on it... only had a top end rebuilt as far as i know.....

That while teamed up with the nasty rust make me want to get a dif. one...

preferably a 97+ body style...

Thanks!!

You and that body style thing.... get off that bus. As soon as you take off the front or rear bumpers, I dare you to tell me the difference at 50ft.

Fix that rig. You take your rig for a swim saying "that's how I wheel." Then you whine and cry when your daily driver leaves you stranded on the side of the road.

You can't have it both ways. :cry:

Learn a little moderation when your trail rig is also your daily driver.

Rust holes can be stitch welded. Engines and trannies can be rebuilt. ALL of the above for probably much less than the $2,000 you are willing to spend on a whole new set of unknown issues. At least you know what your starting point is and you will know the EXACT condition when things are repaired and running. No surprises.

OK... I'm done. :kissyou:

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/1143948285.html

Get your ass on the train, ride to Carbondale, get a cab then drive it home. Swap your shit and be happy.!!!1

Notice the MAGIC quote in the ad....
"It runs great and I have never had any big problems with it."

Not any problems, not the normal issues, perhaps he's had about 35 really small problems that are the reason he's buying a truck and selling this Jeep for about $2000 under the book!

I hear ya Rob....

my thoughts as of late are similar.... (NO the jeep isnt the daily BTW) but i need to have a reliable rig....

Rebuilding the trans or at least fixing the issues now would save me plenty of money.... and in today's world/economy i think i should prob. save.....

That being said any idea of a good trans shop in this area???
any how much??

or other possibly situations/diagnosis of the problem... (wont shift out of first until 4-5k and will not shift out of 2nd...

also seem to get water in the tranny every time it rains.... what gives?.. any input?

having seen your jeep, I vote for getting a new one, that rust is BAD! I say buy an older stock cherokee with less rust and solid drivetrain, not real old, but 94, 95 wouldn't be bad, and swap all your parts over.

come on man, Im gonna have that comanche running good before you have a wheeling rig again, lol.

Back