• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I am soooo done with this xj... please help me search for a "better" one..

Re: I am soooo done with this xj... please help me search for a "better" one..

my little brother looked at that one about a month ago and said he wanted to punch the saleman in the mouth as soon as he got there. they told him it was decent and he said it was junk and only pay around 1k for it.

ok so everyone says it junk...

when i talked with the salesman he was quite short/rude....

i asked him if there was anything wrong with it and he stated "well there are little stories here and there... its a 2000 dollar vechile what do you expect..."

so i think i should pass on even looking at this one....

as everyone says it trash and they are quite firm at the 2k....
and they are rude...

any other comments as to why it is junk? etc...

to bad you live in MO.....

otherwise looks pretty nice!

i'd be willing to meet 1/2 way, dean 573-330-4347

I really appreciate it however i think that im looking for something a bit closer and less miles.... i know i know (good luck finding that... etc...)

Thanks...

btw anyone have any other leads? Currently I dont see anything on CL that interests me... any other good "search" places?

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!!

looks like could be something...

however its far....

1997 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT,BEST OFFER! - $1500 (MIDWAY)

Reply to: see below
Date: 2009-04-06, 10:53AM CDT

I AM SELLING MY JEEP.IT IS A CHEROKEE SPORT WHICH MEANS THAT IT I S THE 2DOOR SQUARE BODY STYLE.
IT IS A REALLY DARK CHARCOAL COLORED EXTERIOR WITH A DARK GREY INTERIOR.
IT HAS POWER EVERYTHING,4X4,CD STEREO,GOOD TIRES,WELL MATAINED VEHICLE.
THE BODY LOOKS PRETTY GOOD AND IT DRIVES GREAT.
THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE WINDSHIELD HAS A CRACK IN IT AND THE MUFFLER IS MAKIN A LITTLE NOISE.
OVERALL THIS IS A GREAT DEPENDABLE TRUCK.
I AM ASKING $1500 BUT I WILL CONSIDER ANY REASONABLE OFFER...
YOU MAY BRING A MECHANIC WITH YOU IF YOU WISH TO DO SO.
PLEASE CALL PATTY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED AT 773-499-1195 CALL ANYTIME!
MUST SELL ASAP!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1109503268

ummm seen that could be soemthing.... thanks ill call on it..

Thanks guys!

SUV FOR CHEAP - $1500 (CHICAGO)

Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-06, 9:26AM CDT

I HAVE A 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE BLK WITH BLK CLOTH INT. 175K MILES BUT STILL HAS ALOT OF LIFE IN IT.
RUNS AND DRIVES GOOD ONE MINOR PROBLEM IT NEEDS A RUBBER SEAL ON THE TRANS LINE EASY FIX. NEED TO SELL FAST FOR BROTHER WHO NEEDS A BIGGER FAMILY VEHICLE. SO PLEASE CALL AND MAKE AN OFFER $1500 OBO

773 541 0695

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1109340861

.... f'ing heep..:flamemad:

If it makes you feel any better, I just picked up a 92 XJ with $240,000 miles on it that is missing the jeep badge on the front. Where it should be some one wrote in "HEEP" in silver paint. The last one I bought didn't have a floor... at all... I agree, they all have their issues, just depends on what they will be.

If it makes you feel any better, I just picked up a 92 XJ with $240,000 miles on it that is missing the jeep badge on the front. Where it should be some one wrote in "HEEP" in silver paint. The last one I bought didn't have a floor... at all... I agree, they all have their issues, just depends on what they will be.

yea i understand they all have issues....

just trying to find one that doesnt have any mechanical issues...(aka maybe paint is all scratched faded.... or maybe a massive dent in the fender or pushed in bumper... etc... something like body damage as i dont care as much about that...

but i do care about being stranded almost everytime i drive my heep....

Good to know im not the only one to feel this way...

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

You get what you pay for...

No free lunches...

SEE WHERE I AM GOING???

A $2000 late model XJ is going to be it's own NEW "money pit." Trust me, YOU WILL CARE about those smushed fenders, that cracked windshield. Especially if it is also your daily driver. Yours was my daily driver. I wheeled it until I got tired of spending money to keep it looking somewhat decent. I also got tired of spending money fixing stuff I broke when wheeling. (rear axle) It HAD to get me to work in the morning and be safe for my kids to ride in. EVERY Jeep eventually has engine issues, usually 1200 miles after YOU bought it.

If you want something with a solid engine, very little rust, and a solid suspension, $2K isn't going to cut it.

That's pretty much the short version!

I spent $20K on my NEW/USED "money pit." My 05 Rubicon LJ with a spotless rust free frame, and a solid 4.0 with only 23K on the clock, lockers, D44's. I've since dropped over $4K in "improvements" and that number continues to climb.

THIS MONTH ALONE... $400 ($90 shipping) for USED TNT tube fenders so as not to worry about running into trees with the thin, tin OEM's. $750 for custom made adjustable control arms. $125 for a used JKS track bar, $125 for a new rear soft top window...

IT NEVER ENDS!!! :(

Last edited:

No free lunches...

SEE WHERE I AM GOING???

A $2000 late model XJ is going to be it's own NEW "money pit." Trust me, YOU WILL CARE about those smushed fenders, that cracked windshield. Especially if it is also your daily driver. Yours was my daily driver. I wheeled it until I got tired of spending money to keep it looking somewhat decent. I also got tired of spending money fixing stuff I broke when wheeling. (rear axle) It HAD to get me to work in the morning and be safe for my kids to ride in. EVERY Jeep eventually has engine issues, usually 1200 miles after YOU bought it.

If you want something with a solid engine, very little rust, and a solid suspension, $2K isn't going to cut it.

i agree a 100% thats why his best bet to get something nice in his price range is to buy something that needs a motor or trans ect. that why he can fix it know its done rite and still be under or at his range. i got my 99 xj for 600 spent 250 and 8 hrs for the motor swap and now the body has 120k but the rest has 42. solid car to start w and im only out 900 total

No free lunches...

SEE WHERE I AM GOING???

I spent $20K on my NEW/USED "money pit." My 05 Rubicon LJ with a spotless rust free frame, and a solid 4.0 with only 23K on the clock, lockers, D44's. I've since dropped over $4K in "improvements" and that number continues to climb.

THIS MONTH ALONE... $400 ($90 shipping) for USED TNT tube fenders so as not to worry about running into trees with the thin, tin OEM's. $750 for custom made adjustable control arms. $125 for a used JKS track bar, $125 for a new rear soft top window...

IT NEVER ENDS!!! :(

So where (price wise) do you think would be a good starting point....
I dont have the time and or tools to do an engine swap.... or knowledge with jeep (yet)...

i guess im not out money as i can part out my current jeep for pretty much what i paid for it....

I have seen/known a few people find newer cherokees for 1000 and Daily Drive them for 2-3 years with NO issues... these are hidden treasures and i am willing to wait for one.....

I have seen/known a few people find newer cherokees for 1000 and Daily Drive them for 2-3 years with NO issues... these are hidden treasures and i am willing to wait for one.....

I've already put 900 miles on my $1000 Cherokee and have had no issues.
For those that are saying you can't find a nice 97+ XJ for $2000 or less, don't be so sure. Times are tough and some people are desperate for cash.

I picked this 130K XJ for $1000 cash. It's a a recent VA transplant, so no rust, and everything works awesome. And yes, it is 4WD.

EPSN0705.jpg

I replaced the bumper and caps for $10 with used units, got new wheels, and painted the flares. Now it looks like a $3000 XJ when I've spent less than $1200 on it.

The bottom line is, cheap 97 + XJ's are out there. Take your time and you are bound to find one. I'll keep posting them as I see them.

Be patient and you'll have a good XJ in no time.

I've already put 900 miles on my $1000 Cherokee and have had no issues.
For those that are saying you can't find a nice 97+ XJ for $2000 or less, don't be so sure. Times are tough and some people are desperate for cash.

I picked this 130K XJ for $1000 cash. It's a a recent VA transplant, so no rust, and everything works awesome. And yes, it is 4WD.

EPSN0705.jpg

I replaced the bumper and caps for $10 with used units, got new wheels, and painted the flares. Now it looks like a $3000 XJ when I've spent less than $1200 on it.

The bottom line is, cheap 97 + XJ's are out there. Take your time and you are bound to find one. I'll keep posting them as I see them.

Be patient and you'll have a good XJ in no time.

yep i was refering to you and my buddies dad and another buddy... all 97+ xj's for around 1k.... no problems... ill wait for a bit to find what im looking for... not in a big hurry.... just sort of frusterating at times cuz at one time you can find like 3-4 at one time and the next time aint sh*t....

Back