• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D30 In An 01 XJ?

Alright been servicing this jeep all night. Here's what we're looking at.

I bought a hub for a HP D30 from advanced auto. I measured the hat height on it and it measures about 3/8"-1/2".

Both of the hubs on my jeep right now have a hub height of 3/4" of an inch.

I still dont understand how my hubs/rotors would cause a noise like that one.

- I inspcted the entire driveshaft. It has no wear marks on it, missing paint/rust chips, no indications of it hitting the exhaust anywhere. No marks on the exhaust, on the yoke, on the double cardian, anywhere. None of the U-joints in the driveshaft have any play in them.

- Both of the rotors on these jeep are brand new. They're for an 01 Cherokee.

- Both calipers on this jeep are meant for an 01 Cherokee.

- Tightened both axle nuts to their 185 foot pounds.

- Changed the front diff fluid and inspected the ring gear, spider gears, pinion gear, etc. All look perfect. Diff fluid looked slightly bad, but nothing terrible.

- Changed/flushed the transfer case fluid. Old fluid wasn't burnt and had no signs of metal chips in it. Replaced with Dextron III.

- I noticed that the transmission mount is totally shot.

- When on the lift with the engine on and tires spinning there is a weird noise from the back of the jeep. Also when on the lift at like 30MPH and i slam on the brakes the noise that i heard last night (that video) is gone.

Well guys i got some news.

Pulled the front driveshaft out and the noise is totally gone. Brakes lock up on a dime now.

There isn't a single wear mark on the front driveshaft. I don't know if it's hitting on something or binding up somehow. I honestly don't know. I just know that with the front shaft out the thing is perfectly fine.

Any ideas on what i should look for?

I need to put the shaft back in as it's going to snow but i'm happy i know what the problem is.

I guess i could lift the jeep as the new stock leaf springs in the rear lift it like 2" or so in the rear. I could level it. I just don't want another lifted jeep. I just want a stocker.

U-joints good in DS?

You guys aren't going to beleive this one.

I stopped that noise. My friend on some strange hunch thought that maybe the zerc fitting on the driveshaft was hitting. That thing is like 1/4" tall max and i would of thought nothing of it.

Took that thing off, dropped the jeep back on the ground, went for a test drive and the noise is totally GONE.

Who would've thought.

Now just to replace the front driver caliper because i locked it up testing the brakes out.

Yep - that's why they went LP30 in the first place - exhaust clearance with the newer pre-cats. That's the way I understand it, anyhow. Crazy it was just the zerk...

Not the U-joint zerc. The zerc that allows grease to grease the slip joint in the shaft.

I put one of those little covers on it for now.

There are low profile zerks that you grease with a needle that may give you the clearance you need. They do still stick out a little though so maybe not.

9101187_L.jpg

Back