• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to junk a truck?

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of buying an f-250 and salvaging the drivetrain. This will leave nothing left but the frame and body. How do I go about getting this to a junkyard? Are there any in the area that will come and pick it up for me, or will I have to rent a flat bed and get it there myself. I just need a set way to get it out of my yard quickly, or else I will have to pass it up. Please let me know if you know of anything, or anyone that can help. Thanks _nicko_

ahh..just talked to a friend...and what a smart guy..."look in the yellow pages for scrap car hauling" I'll do that....well any recommendations for cheap services? thanks

speaking from personal experience.. make sure you get a title for the vehicle if your state requires it for registration.. as well as a bill of sale and a copy of the previous owners registration. i had 2 XJ's this summer that i could not GIVE away for free without proper paperwork to show that its really mine! talk to the scrap yards before taking possesion of it.. ask what they will require for paperwork.. do not accept even the word of a friend who says" i know a guy who will take it with out any questions.." get the first word yourself.. if there is any lack of prpoer paperwork you should think long and hard about the deal... i ended up with an unregistered, stripped, XJ in my driveway that nearly got me evicted.. although some of it was my fault admittedly.. just BE CAREFUL and make sure you have a disposal plan lined up..
mike

ohhh not good...he said he has no papers for it...I will definitely make some calls to some places...never thought that you would need papers, but it makes sense. ehh...that sucks...thanks for the heads up..big time. _nicko_

I'm not even gonna try giving it away for free...I'm not allowing a rust bucket body, a humongous one at that, sitting in my yard.

I actually just found a company that will pick it up for 50 bucks without the title...he said there just needs to be a written confirmation from the previous owner that it was not stolen or whatever. Weird to me, but that's what he said. I will get a pick up date and a confirmation set in stone after I check out the truck and see if it's what I need. Thanks _nicko_

just cut the WHOLE THING up into little tiny pieces.

put a few in with your household trash every day for about a month.

it'll be gone in no time ;)

Cut it up (what fun!) and take the pieces down to Camden Iron & Steel... you can get some cash for the scrap metal. I'm sure there are similar outfits in Trenton, as well.

-Mark

haha. NO cutting up the truck. If it was my own house it were to stay at...by all means I wouldn't mind it, but it's my parents, so I will give them the benefit of only having it in the yard for a day or two. :) Let's just see if I get the truck now...I have a plan for disposal and everything...only the truck is missing out of the equation. I have a feeling I'm gonna pass on it unless everything I want is in pretty decent condition, meaning more reusable parts than just the axle housings. I could probablay pay a little more for just the parts I want, and not have to worry about towing back to my house, and disposal and all that "junk".

Yeah Rev Den, I called a few places and they said they can't do crap without the title. Then I called that one place I said earlier, and said I have no title or paperwork for it and asked if he would take it. He just said "depends on the story". I guess my story passed. :D _nicko_

Call Pete... there's a guy he knows who takes scrap cars away, no questions asked.

Many yards will pay you $50 to haul away your vehicle. They pay you becasue they hope to sell parts off it, and as a last resort sell the scrap metal once there is nothing left.

XJguy

CheapXJ said:
just cut the WHOLE THING up into little tiny pieces.

put a few in with your household trash every day for about a month.

it'll be gone in no time ;)

Ummm...
THAT'S been done. :D :D

Yes...cut it up, make it UN-drivable. Peel off all of the VINs. I got royally screwed over after selling a junked car to a fried who turned around and sold it to someone who rebuilt it and drove it w/out registration, title, etc. It ALL came back on me. Major pain in the ass.

jeez den you ARE from the burbs!

when I wanna get rid of a truck, I just throw it in the 60 yard trash bin....

or, you can just leave it in the alley, and tyhe illegals will take it in a heartbeat.

title, whatever......

any manufacturer or recycler wouold LOVE to get scrap-value for it.

what kinda of boy-scout salavage yards do you guys deal with that require titles?

whatever.....

Back