• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How is an XJ for a big guy?

OllieDixon

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to find the right jeep to buy for quite some time.. Looks like i have found one... before i pull the trigger...

I am 6'4'' and 200lbs usually lol .. can get up to 235
sssh.gif

Anyways i have only driven a XJ once and i never really had a chance to fully adjust the seat. It was a while ago. I don't remember feeling uncomfortable but i'm just wondering if any owners can tell me what its like in the long term. If i buy one it would be the newer model (1997 to 2001) and it would be a daily driver.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

I am also 6'2" and 300 lbs. I have 2 96's and I am pretty comfy. The only thing I would worry about if I were you is head to ceiling height. The stock XJ seats suck anyway, so if you replace them with something else, just mount them a little lower and you should be good. The leg length shouldnt be a problem either.

~James :chef:

I am 6'4" 300lbs. I have a 95 and it's plenty roomy for me. The only thing I noticed is that it helps to have the seat leaned back more than usual to accommodate for leg room and head room.

6'3" 280#. As blue95xj said, lean back a little more than usual. Been wanting to redo the seat track to gain a little more leg room. With that said I do a 3 hour drive every couple of weeks, no problem.

In the older XJ's, the power leather seats sit higher (not sure about newer ones)... not good if you're tall, especially if tall in the torso

I'm 5'9 175# and I could fit a cute girl in my lap

even better if she's wearing a short skirt :D

In all seriousness though, my dad is 6' 225# and never complained about room in any of my XJs

6'4" 210lbs here. I fit fine in my '96 width-wise, but I can't stretch out my legs all the way. I have to get out and stretch every couple of hours on long rides or my knees get stiff. My legs don't hit anything but they do hit the TC shifter when I relax. Its much better than my '98 Ranger was though.
For comparison, in my 03 Jetta, I can stretch out my legs completely straight, so I know its possible in some cars for us big guys.
Overall, its comfortable. I think you'll be fine, we have the same height and weight.

6'2" 260lbs, I fit fine in mine but I broke the seat...the very first bolt that holds the bracket down pulled through. I lean back against that frequently to get out my wallet and show my ID to get on base. Leg room is good, head room is good. Width is good. Better than my Focus, bout equal to my Caravan, little better knee room it seems in the Cherokee than the van.

..the very first bolt that holds the bracket down pulled through. I lean back against that frequently to get out my wallet and show my ID to get on base.

That's just because you're a.....

...Marine. :roll:

I am 6'6" 280 and the only thing i notice in my 97 is that my right leg is resting on the transfer case lever a little. Other than that, no problems here.

6'4 240, Fit me fine

6'2" 260lbs, I fit fine in mine but I broke the seat...the very first bolt that holds the bracket down pulled through. I lean back against that frequently to get out my wallet and show my ID to get on base. Leg room is good, head room is good. Width is good. Better than my Focus, bout equal to my Caravan, little better knee room it seems in the Cherokee than the van.
Same thing happened to me. I thought that bolt was just loose so I stuck a 13mm socket on it and broke it off with little to no effort. Let it go for a while the the rear of the seat frame broke, so I fold the seat down for support. I finally just welded it and then it broke in a different spot and just broke down and went and got a new seat from the JY. (wish I had just fixed the damn bolt!)

There's some fat bastards on this board...:D

That's because all we do is sit on NAXJA figuring out what we want to do to our rigs, then work on our rigs, eat, sleep, and REPEAT!

Back