• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do they determine

"Painted Canyon" was just one that came to mind from that area. It seems like all of the streets down their are named like that.
With as badly as Google Earth/Maps has done their geocoding (addresses matched to map/image locations) it's nearly impossible to find somebody's house.

Heh.

I spent most of my childhood in Lafayette, IN. Sits aside the Wabash river, and it's an old French city.

Why is this significant? "Old Lafayette" has the roads running perpendicular to/parallel to the Wabash. The later expansion runs N-S/E-W. You can usually tell right when you get from "Old Lafayette" to "New Lafayette" by the dogleg in the road you're on.

Don't forget all the damned one ways, (which they at least alternate block to block).

Here in Phoenix, all the roads running n/s, east of the center(called Central Ave.), are "streets", everything to the west are avenues. All of the E/W roads are "roads"(Indian school rd, Redfield rd, etc) and hold the same name across town on the same alignment.('leads to the entertaining situation where the street name changes every time the road curves:D)

If the developer wants to get creative, and put a road between major alignments, they call it "place", "lane", etc. So you get 38th st, then 38th ln, then 38th pl.(which can be "east" or "west":D)before you get to 39th st.

Don't forget all the damned one ways, (which they at least alternate block to block).

Oh, don't even get me started on that asininity!

I still honestly think that the bulk of traffic trouble would be solved if people were actually taught how to drive! Properly. And examined thoroughly. By competent evaluators. In English (or American, if you prefer.)

And people could and did fail the exam! Reduce the number of drivers on the road (by weeding out the incompetent and should-be-unqualified,) and most of the traffic troubles would just go away. Insurance rates would drop (they'd damned well better!) because reportable incidents and damage claims would drop sharply. Local government budgets would benefit since less roadway maintenance would be required (Hell, it would probably be possible to remove a large number of traffic control devices as well and replace them with ordinary stop signs, thus saving on the municipal electrical bill!)

Reduce the workload on police and fire departments (reduced reportable incidents, recall?) and allow them to focus on larger issues - violent crimes, disaster response, and the like.

Sure, municipal revenues would drop somewhat as a result (lower tax revenues from registration, reduced fuel taxes, ... Fine - since most of civil service middle management can probably be RIFfed out of hand and turned out to productive occupation, this could merely accelerate the process. I've been seeing a lot of news blurb about how government jobs are "recession proof" - seeing as how it's government intervention or regulation that generally causes (or at least enables) recession, I'm inclined to think that "civil servants" should be the first on the block, and elected officials don't need to be paid anyhow. Never did, and never should have been (it would be the best implementation of term limits we could run across. Or, it would at least make sure they're not in the business simply to hold a sinecure with no real responsibility or duty for the next forty years or so.)

5-90...you have said a mouthful... NASCAR turns; move to the right and turn left... less government is better... and on and so forth...

Back