• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad do I need frame stiffeners?

Alpine Jim

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to decide how bad I need frame stiffeners for my XJ.

Still primarily a bare-bones stocker, I have been adding some of the four-wheeling basics like gas tank skid, tow hooks, fire extinguisher, etc. Still need a transfer case skid.

I am currently trying to decide between adding frame stiffeners or just going with rocker skids. Please correct me here if I am wrong – I think most frame stiffeners need to be attached before the rocker skids?

My future plans include a 2 or 3 inch lift and up to 31 inch tires but I don’t think I will ever need to go bigger for the type of wheeling I do. Mostly mild to moderate exploring type four-wheeling, access to hunting area, etc.

What do you think? I am not a big fan of adding extra weight and expense if not needed. But if this really should be considered a basic for a mild to moderate XJ than I will re-think it. I want to be prepared and capable but also don’t see a need for over-kill.

I think where i really want to go is to build for the far end of moderate - that way I should be in pretty good shape for 95% of what i will be doing - and leave room for the occasional harder trail without being overly concerned about destoying the thing when i do hit that harder trail. My driving skills are beyond the capability of where I am going with the vehicle.

Thoughts?

You don't "need" them, but you should certainly do them.

Even on a stock jeep they do make a noticeable difference. They don't "have" to go on before rock sliders, but you will have to take the sliders off again to install them. If its all welded, that becomes a real pain.

With 2-3" of lift and 31's,and light to moderate 4x4 trails, stiffeners would be pretty far down on my to-do list. Skids, lockers, bumpers, and rock rails would be my priorities.

I think the stiffeners make a good foundation to any build and they'll help keep the body intact longer. If youre getting rid of it in a few years I wouldn't waste the time, but if youre keeping it do it right. I made my last set but if I did it again I would save the time and buy some

Three votes for stiffeners, bumper to bumper. Also consider steering box reinforcement and spacer eliminator.

As Cal said, you don't NEED it, but if you start wheeling, and start to develop unibody cracks, you're too late. Call it insurance to preserve everything else you're doing to improve the vehicle.

Installing the stiffeners also gives you a great chance to do a once over throughout the rig.

David Bricker / SYR

It really depends on your personal expectations. Based on what you stated above, I say you do not need them. I've wheeled pretty hard on trails in the Sierra Nevada in two different XJs similar to how you will set yours up with no issues. I cannot speak to the handling-ride quality benefit.

Do yourself a favor and do, at least, mid stiffeners. It makes for a solid foundation to build upon, and you know your unibody will last.
Also consider what David said as well. As far as steering box spacer, outer frame tie in etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Appreciate the insight.

I see no one has mentioned the potential for cracking in the weld areas due to metal fatigue, as a negative. I read several threads where people claim that the weakening of the metal due to all the welding is a big problem.

What say ye? Is this not really a big problem? is the jury still out?

You're talking about a LOT of weld for a relatively minor (compared to the weld surface) amount of stress.

it is a non issue.

its far easier to do them now rather than later when you've made other modifications.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Appreciate the insight.

I see no one has mentioned the potential for cracking in the weld areas due to metal fatigue, as a negative. I read several threads where people claim that the weakening of the metal due to all the welding is a big problem.

What say ye? Is this not really a big problem? is the jury still out?

Don't weld the entire seam and you'll be fine. Personally I'm a fan of tacking every 2-4in over seam welds. Even seam welding on sheet metal can cause substantial undercut which may eventually lead to cracks.

I'm currently on my 3rd XJ since 96 and o my current 2000 XJ, I installed unirail stiffeners and steering box inner and outer support plates on both sides of the frame before it ever left the road.

Build thread link: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=2

This provided a solid platform to then add the T&T Y-Link front suspension. My Jeep has been airborne multiple times at the dunes and I run trails that will twist and tweak a non-reinforced unibody.

After 7 years and 100k miles on and offroad miles, I don't hear any of the squeaks, rattles and pops from the body that my 89 XJ had.

If you plan on wheeling your XJ, I'm of the opinion that reinforcing the unirails should be your first mod, because it will enhance every other mod thereafter and help keep your rig strong, tight and straight.

Last edited:
Well to put it into perspective, I'm on 3.5" lift and 31" and my front uniframe is already creaking and popping at the track bar mount area... My mid section was done with a ruffstuff uniframe stiffiner and it helped a lot! Do it now, and not worry later. This is preventive maintenance

if lockers are in your future, you'll want to stiffen things up. much less likely to hang a tire and stress the rails if you're not locked

I did the mid hd offroad stiffeners and HAD to remove the factory rear sway bar afterwords. It made a huge difference just in road feel tying the unibody together like that.

Do the full front to back. I really wish I had, and its on my to-do list. my body has 300k and even with the mid stiffeners I get more unibody flex than I would like. (I also have an '87 2-door, not as stiff as the 4 door and pre-'94 when they added some bracing from the factory)

while driving on a bumpy road, put your fingertips between the top of the door and the body. if you can feel the body flexing you should put stiffeners on it.

Don't weld the entire seam and you'll be fine. Personally I'm a fan of tacking every 2-4in over seam welds. Even seam welding on sheet metal can cause substantial undercut which may eventually lead to cracks.

Well then... I messed up on my front if that's the case. Thank god I haven't done any of the others. So all of the plug welds on a stiffener and strong tacks every 2-4 inches are safer? Is there a scenario where I wouldn't want to do all of the plug welds?

I've always welded all 3" on and 2" off, or just welded all the way around.

Never been a problem..

do the steering gear brace FOR SURE!! And I'd plate the backside as well

Back