• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebuilt Roof Rack

racer32

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys-

I have a 98 SE and I am in the process of building and ordering a bunch of stuff for it. Here's a roof rack I'm almost done with. I built the original version for an old Grand Wagoneer I used to own about 4 years ago:

rack-original.jpg

It was too tall, too ugly and I just didn't like it after I got done building it, so it went in the scrap pile. Fast forward to about 2 months ago. I wanted a rack for my XJ and remembered I had that old rusty POS in the scrap pile... I chopped the top, laid the front back and built some gutter mounts:

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack7.jpg

rack4.jpg

rack5.jpg

rack6.jpg

I'm planning on converting my XJ into more of an expedition vehicle in the coming months. I just sold my dirt bike so I have a stash of cash to work with... I'll probably start a build thread when I get after it...

Where can I get some cheap but not complete junk rectangular lights? I think I want at least 2 and maybe 4 lights on the front of the rack...

Thanks for looking...

Jess

try looking at a tractor supply co. i was there the other day and say a nice variety of rectangle lights at good prices.

Tugboat369 said:
Nice work.

X a bajillion! Really nice fabbing.

Is it just me or do you have the only XJ in the world that doesn't have a factory roof rack? seems to me every one I have seen has one. :)

I want one..............................

Jess,
Head over to Harbor freight on your lunch hour and get some cheapo lights. And call me, I'll meet you for lunch.
Dave

fuzzydog said:

Is it just me or do you have the only XJ in the world that doesn't have a factory roof rack? seems to me every one I have seen has one. :)

My 96 doesn't have a roof rack. I like the look w/o one though. The only shitty thing is I have no way to mount lights up there.

Nice roof rack though. Looks badass :D

Your roof rack is awesome. Your guttermounts look pretty beefy. Your welds look good. :thumbup:

fuzzydog said:

I believe the SE model comes without factory roof rack.

Thanks for the positive comments guys...

AlabamaDan said:
Did you weld that gutter mount after you put it up there? Great rack BTW. I really like it.

I tacked everything while on the roof and then took it back down to finish weld everything...

IGOCOMMANDO said:
Head over to Harbor freight on your lunch hour and get some cheapo lights. And call me, I'll meet you for lunch.

As far as lights, I'd like to find some that are in the 3x5 range if possible so I can fit 4 of em on there sort of recessed into the front of the rack. I don't want them to stick up too far... D&B Supply has some for $15 ea. I might try some of those... I'll meet you for lunch anyway Dave. I need to discuss the buildup with ya ;) I'm always in the market for something HF has :)

Has anyone removed the factory luggage rack and made their own? Thats what I am thinking of doing and build a roof rack to go along with it, so that the roof rack can be easily mounted or removed.... Any ideas and pics? What you have is nice...wish I had the time to get to my project, I'm just not to sure about mounting things to the raingutters...

Nice gutter mounts. Do you have a brake for bending those? I've tried my big-a&& vice before, but I can't get very good, even bends with it with anything over about 14 gauge.

Nice! looks very clean.. It looks too good to put cheep fogs on it, go on ebay and get some hellas or KCs...

Shoot I would like to put in my order now just give me a price:D

Timber said:
Nice gutter mounts. Do you have a brake for bending those? I've tried my big-a&& vice before, but I can't get very good, even bends with it with anything over about 14 gauge.

I actually just got done building a hydraulic press brake so I could do these brackets. Its made from about $5-10 worth of scrap pieces I had and a garage sale $5 12 ton porta power cylinder. The "knife" part is milled @ 60* and the bottom "v block" is a 90* on both sides:

pressbrake1.jpg

knife1.jpg

bottomdie3.jpg

bottomdie2.jpg

bottomdie1.jpg

Here's 1/8" aluminum and 3/16" mild steel:

bends1.jpg

I guess he is ignoring the orders coments.....................

Time to give up your day job Jess!!

HAHA thanks guys... I guess I could sell this one and build another... Who'll start the bidding? :compwork:

Back