• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch Tire carrier + cas can & HiLift mounts

just be carefull not to overload your towbar,

i used to design towbars for Chrysler here in australia and they are only rated to take a certain amount of weight down on the ball.

I just know my 33's + bead locked rims weigh =100 lbs
2 x full jerry cans = 100lbs
1 x heigh lift = 40lbs

this totals 240lbs

Add the whip factor when you are going over bumps and you've already overloaded your towbar ( not in the pull direction which they are designed for). If this carrier stays long on your jeep with jerry cans and high lift jack you'll soo find some big cracks in your towbar.

Also i'd incorperate some sort of spring to help you lift the tyre back up to its ride position. Lifting a 100lb tyre everytime you want to get in the back of the car will get annoying real fast.

in my opinion swing out carriers are the only real way to go

well most likely the jerry cans will only be on there for wheeling trips. so i dont think that'll be to big of a problem.

and as for the help spring if someone wants to give me an idea of a good design that'll be great but with my 33 it's not hard to lift up. especially since it only goes down as far as needed to clear the hatch

How does it fold down now? Hinge pin? There's no reason you can't use another one. It just needs to provide pressure to hold the main support from rocking.

The part wouldnt need to be attached to the swingdown part, but rather just the hinge it moves on (the stationary part that does not swing down). I think that would provide enough support, and could rig it to use the detours mounts or just drill a hole and bolt it the the hitch.

You could solve both problems at once. If you used the Detours recovery points with hitch pins and not the D-rings, you could triangulate the main backbone of the structure with 2 shock type mechanisms (like hatch struts). This way it could help hold everything in place and make it easier to drop and raise the tire.

Does that make sense? I can see it in my head.

looks like somebody's found the beauty of sketchup, i actually thought about a similar idea for a bit but i'm a really bad welder. and i wouldn't trust the amount of moment forces on the lower joints. nice to be able to remove it entirely though. seems like your doing pretty well with sketchup but if you ever have questions about it hit me up with a pm. and I want to see your final build too!

thanks man. this was the 1st major thing i've made in it, messed around makin bumpers and stuff but just for fun.

hopefully if my neighbor is feelin allright tomorrow im gona go and do the hiLift mount and that'll be the end of mine for now.

and thanks if i do have problems i will.

TB, I like your set up.

Anyone seen these at 4wheelparts?
http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml
HitchGate400.gif

Back