• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highly Modified

Interesting you should mention staging it, I actually just broke some stuff down into stages last night before I left work, stages 1-3. The first and second stage are all the upgrades and goodies to adequately run a high-end engine and stage 3 is the engine components, supercharger, and work. Yes, this is what I do at work most of the day. Ever see Office Space?

$15k in axles is a little over the top for me. Originally I was looking to do Dana 60 front and rear with ARB air lockers. Then I started to do the pricing research on that and was quickly dissuaded. If you look at this month's issue of Jp magazine, you'll find a nice article where they swap in a Dana 44 with a detroit locker for $1700/$1800. Thats about perfect for me, but my mind is always open.

And I think you're right about the hot rod shop idea, I think I'll go visit one today after work if I can find one near by.. which shouldn't be too hard in southern california.

Tom

bigolexj said:
I built my XJ and all, but people don't admire you any more or less for building it than they do buying it. Unless you're walking around with an egomaniacal "I built my Jeep, I'm better than you 'cause you bought yours" attitude, is that your plan?

This isn't so much about what other people think of me or my vehicle. Yeah, its nice when people admire you and/or your wheels, but this is 99.9% because I want the experience of doing it and because it will provide me with a desired end result. I didn't post on this website to get acclamation either. I posted to get people's thoughts and good ideas, and so far I've read about 20 or 30 pages of information and old threads relating to my project, something I wouldn't have done without this forum. So, there ya go.

eetwiXJ said:
This isn't so much about what other people think of me or my vehicle. Yeah, its nice when people admire you and/or your wheels, but this is 99.9% because I want the experience of doing it and because it will provide me with a desired end result. I didn't post on this website to get acclamation either. I posted to get people's thoughts and good ideas, and so far I've read about 20 or 30 pages of information and old threads relating to my project, something I wouldn't have done without this forum. So, there ya go.

$35.00 worth by any chance??? just messing with you...

uncc civilengineer said:
WOW that's a lot of $$$$

15K on axles seems crazy IMO.... but probably not if he purchased everything from 4WheelParts....and no offense man but do people really think of the staff at 4WheelParts as fabricators?

Yeah, they are Currie built (i.e. overpriced). Has ARB airlockers in them. He IS a darn good fabricator. Probably one of the best I've ever seen (here or anywhere else). I don't think most people at 4wheelparts know anything, but this guy is an exceptional fabricator. He has the strongest, best handling XJ I've ever seen.

Tell me where else you're going to get an XJ with all of that, and meticulously maintained at that, for $15K OTD? ;) It also comes with a spare set of 48" swampers with doublebeadlocked wheels. ;)

bigolexj said:
Yeah, they are Currie built (i.e. overpriced). Has ARB airlockers in them. He IS a darn good fabricator. Probably one of the best I've ever seen (here or anywhere else). I don't think most people at 4wheelparts know anything, but this guy is an exceptional fabricator. He has the strongest, best handling XJ I've ever seen.

Tell me where else you're going to get an XJ with all of that, and meticulously maintained at that, for $15K OTD? ;) It also comes with a spare set of 48" swampers with doublebeadlocked wheels. ;)

Sounds like a prime candidate to be parted out b/c 15K is 15K and a potential buyer is going to have to come up with some $$ to buy it. Banks wont loan that much on that old of a vehicle..

Yeah, I know banks won't loan most people money for a 99 XJ, even if it has $25K into it. But there's always a signature loan or how about good old fashioned hard work and savings? Me, I'll take the latter please! No debt is a good feeling. ;)

I gotta throw my 2c into this.
It seems like a bit of a "this sounds good on paper and in my mind" build. I'm not hating at all but dude, that's a lot of dough to run 31's a near stock height, it'll be quick but it'll also suck down gas. You "can" be economical with forced induction, but good luck with that. And I may be assuming here, but you sound like your in the service with the "maybe going to Iraq" statement. After doing 10 yrs myself I'm gonna throw out there that it's a lot of money that could be better spent, or better yet, invested. Lift the jeep and get the tires, but wait and plan and save for the rest. Try some bolt ons, they worked for me. Free flowing exhaust and keeping the engine tuned and running well, along with swapping the gears will do wonders, and save a lot of dough in the long run. I also have to say, if you're in the military and are considering using some sort of bonus to finance parts of this project, you should strongly think again. Bonuses are nice and rare in this world now, take heed and really look at your 'wants vs needs' list for this.
Anyway, try to do as much as you can yourself. Every step of the way will be supremely gratifying. You never know, your plans could drastically change after starting it, but give it a lot of thought. Good luck!

i wonder how this turned out though. i wonder if he came to his senses?

i think we all have a "dream build-up", but this buildup was over the top for his experience level and really not practical for an xj that never was going to see the offroad.

Hello..

Question the first... how does the airbox fit into a supercharger equation? Does a supercharger or turbo take the place of the whole induction system, or is it naturally aspirated until the power adder kicks in? Sorry for my ignorance, I've just never messed with them before, so I don't know exactly how that part works. The reason I ask is because I want to get the ARB snorkel and I'm wondering how that will work with a supercharger.

Your Thoughts?

Tom
Temecula, CA

OK so i'm not exactly sure what this question means but i'll give it my best shot. When installing a power adder like a turbo or supercharger, it must be routed through the intake no matter what. It just does not get air from a different place when it "kicks in." The cool thing about a supercharger is that it is belt driven and gives a constant input of boost, where a turbo gives some lag but can produce higher boost numbers at peak. So to run one of those you will need to plumb from the "airbox" to the intake of the power adder, then from the output of that to the intake of the engine.

Back