• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highly Modified

ya 50 miles a day and california gas prices im not sure how much u know about superchargers but that is gonna kill your gas mileage aside from all the other stuff your putting on

Buy one already modified and save a ton.

If you are interested in a mudding rig, I have a buddy who is selling his 99 XJ. It has 44" military tires, coilovers front and rear (reinforced mounts are bulletproof), a custom built y-link with long arms front and rear, 15" lift, winch with synth rope, and most of all: front and rear full width currie Hi9's with 5.38s and 35 spline alloys, FFs, upgraded 13" rotors with 6pot calipers, PS Customs high steer/crossover-4" solid stock tie rod and 3" solid stock draglink with hydro assist. and it handles better than any cherokee I've driven, even stock cherokees.

He's asking 15K for it. He's a service manager at 4WheelParts and he's one of the best fabricators I've met (think Jesse James). ;)

If you're interested in it, PM me.

Last edited:
zachxj01 said:
ya 50 miles a day and california gas prices im not sure how much u know about superchargers but that is gonna kill your gas mileage aside from all the other stuff your putting on

Well, if you actually read my first post.. you would see that I said I don't know much about superchargers at all. However, I have read, repeatedly, that as long as you don't drive it like you stole it, a supercharger or turbocharger won't "kill" your gas mileage. I've read this in at least a half dozen sources, and in a more recent one I've read, gas mileage actually was .1 MPG better after a supercharger upgrade.

Also, what would affect my gas mileage more.. you tell me.

1. Stock 4.0L, but with a 12 inch lift and 38's

2. 30/31's and a 4.5L supercharged and a 2" lift.

bigolexj said:

If you are interested in a mudding rig, I have a buddy who is selling his 99 XJ. It has 44" military tires, coilovers front and rear (reinforced mounts are bulletproof), a custom built y-link with long arms front and rear, 15" lift, winch with synth rope, and most of all: front and rear full width currie Hi9's with 5.38s and 35 spline alloys, FFs, upgraded 13" rotors with 6pot calipers, PS Customs high steer/crossover-4" solid stock tie rod and 3" solid stock draglink with hydro assist. and it handles better than any cherokee I've driven, even stock cherokees.

He's asking 15K for it. He's a service manager at 4WheelParts and he's one of the best fabricators I've met (think Jesse James). ;)

If you're interested in it, PM me.

No thanks. See: above. Building my own setup. Thank you for the offer.

If your worried about gas mileage theres always nitrous...

eetwixj, sounds like a pretty wild setup. keep in mind a highly built stroker will need to run high octane to really get the best performance. i realise that if you are going to boost and have a lower compression that the need may not be absolute. i know that when i talked to the avenger guy at a show a few years back he mentioned someone that had built a hi-po hesco engine and was getting an avenger. i know the avenger show xj ,had to have the hood cut open to clear the supercharger. you may want to check the location, off the top of my bad memory i think the supercharger may not tuck under the raised portion of the induction style hood you are talking about.check out the pictures of marcus's rig on the "go jeep" site, he runs that hood. i believe there may be some newer units that bolt in more engine compartment friendly areas, though living in temecula, you probly don't want to give up that air conditioning. i wish i could give you more info towards your goals, but i built mine more to go slow. good luck and let me know how it turns out. we have a meet and greet 1st tuesday of every month down in vista (one of the other local xj clubs). bring it by, i'd sure like to check it out!

You also don't have provisions for tuning something like this, unless the stock ECU would handle a stroker/supercharger combo? I don't think it will, or at least not well.

mikeyl said:
we have a meet and greet 1st tuesday of every month down in vista (one of the other local xj clubs). bring it by, i'd sure like to check it out!

Absolutely. I'd be happy do come down and check out all your setups. I knew there were some entheusiasts in the Vista area, and if I'm not mistaken, a JeepSpeed team or two races out of there, right? What time do you guys usually meet up?

Tom

98XJSport said:
You also don't have provisions for tuning something like this, unless the stock ECU would handle a stroker/supercharger combo? I don't think it will, or at least not well.

That is a good point, one that I have considered.. I was going to consult someone with a blower/stroker setup to see what they did for ecu and sensor issues. I'm almost positive the stock one won't handle it, at least I've heard that thrown around before that it won't.

Unrelated question..... you're going to laugh, and maybe scratch your head. Will K&N filter cleaner work on Airaid filters? They seem to both me made out of the same or a similar cotton mesh. Thanks.. because I just realized my cone is very overdue for a "recharge."

Its an ambitious list, that's for sure. Although, I don't see the need for a 10 point cage if you're only going to be doing 'mild off-roading'. The whole list seems a hair overkill for something that's going to be running 31s at most. But hey, it's your dime. There is a pretty good OHV area near your place, you ought to check it out. Its the Wildomar OHV, off of Ortega Highway.

TheWarWagon said:
Its an ambitious list, that's for sure. Although, I don't see the need for a 10 point cage if you're only going to be doing 'mild off-roading'. The whole list seems a hair overkill for something that's going to be running 31s at most. But hey, it's your dime. There is a pretty good OHV area near your place, you ought to check it out. Its the Wildomar OHV, off of Ortega Highway.

You are very right, it is overkill... I figure that If I'm going to do all of this, I want to do it big. Otherwise, I would have just gone with a low buck stroker and a cheapie suspension a year or two ago and called it a day, but the ambition in me won over. Depending on whether I go back to Iraq or not this fall/winter, I plan on starting in about September/October 07. I will definately start a large picture collection of this, every step of the way. Thanks for the info.

Do you already have a good set of tools and a workshop for all of this?

It sounds like quite the project, I hope to see some images soon...

...I have 2 cents worth for you :eeks1:
I can appreciate wanting a super rig that you may never get FULL use out of, but, if you want it, buy it. I have one suggestion...stage it.
take your whole list and break it down in stages. It might be cool to supercharge your engine, but you might, MIGHT be surprised with upgrades to your engine. I've known guys to build engines that would bark all four tires on pavements, and make the truck literally "jump" up off the ground- and with out a blower or super charger. I'm not kidding.
I'd talk with some hot rodders about engine compressions, superchargers, and balancing and get some working knowledge about it. You can always add chrome to dress up an engine.
Besides, you can always add more. Around my neck of the woods, its like a disease, more is never enough:laugh3:

eetwiXJ said:
No thanks. See: above. Building my own setup. Thank you for the offer.
My point was you can't build a rig as capable as the one I listed for $15k. Spending $15k on the one I posted and then using it for parts is cheaper than buying new parts. He has $15k in the axles alone. I get your point though. I built my XJ and all, but people don't admire you any more or less for building it than they do buying it. Unless you're walking around with an egomaniacal "I built my Jeep, I'm better than you 'cause you bought yours" attitude, is that your plan? Wouldn't you say the guy who bought his Jeep just like he wanted it, probably is smarter because he saved a ton of cash?

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. ;)

bigolexj said:

... and most of all: front and rear full width currie Hi9's with 5.38s and 35 spline alloys, FFs, upgraded 13" rotors with 6pot calipers,...

WOW that's a lot of $$$$

15K on axles seems crazy IMO.... but probably not if he purchased everything from 4WheelParts....and no offense man but do people really think of the staff at 4WheelParts as fabricators?

Back