• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high idle caused my dash lights/tail lights to go out??

Automatic transmission, though I do have the FULL TIME 4WD option on the floor, if that's what you mean.

This is the first time I've ever had an issue/problem. 300k and counting...

Not having parking lights as well leads to the same headlight switch solution, and not a different possible solution, I'm guessing.

Time to replace the head light switch then, it is only about $20.

I can't give much help with your electrical issue, but it should be very easy to remove the driver's seat, so you don't have to twist your back while you figure that mess out.

Got the switch out. The plug that goes into the switch was a melted gooey mess. So, looks like the switch WAS bad after all, but now I know why. I'm gonna try and just clip/replug the melted wires rather than think about a whole new harness.

Still think this had nothing to do with the high idle thing though, huh? Odd.

My problem was a partially melted connector that was readily apparent after I got the switch out.

Yep. Same here. So...what did you change after this? I'm assuming you just re-wired the wires directly to the switch and soldered them on/clipped them on, and then you...changed anything else to prevent it from happening again, or just let it go at that?

This is exactly why teh headlight harness upgrade is so important.

At a bare minimum, do this:

There’s a critical 10-pin connector for the front lighting system located in front of the air cleaner and behind the left headlight assembly.

Unplug it and clean it.

Between the air filter box and the drivers side headlight? Mounted to the body/fender somewhere? Got a foto of it anyone?

Between the air filter box and the drivers side headlight? Mounted to the body/fender somewhere? Got a foto of it anyone?

Not mounted anywhere. Poke your noggin under there and look for a 10 pin connector right where the description describes. Or, you could wait til it comes out on video....LOL.

As I recall, I only had one melted connector contact. I soldered a wire directly to the pin in the switch and used a dremel to cut a small groove in the side of the connector to bring the wire out where I could solder it to the wire in the harness. The very definition of "ghetto" but it worked fine for the remaining five years or so that I had the Jeep.

Details aren't pertinent, but in my case I had to fix the thing one way or another on the Sunday that I discovered the problem. I don't know what the odds are of finding a replacement plug. I also don't remember if there is room in the switch for for individual female push-on terminals which is probably the way I would go if there is room.

Perhaps someone will chime in with an alternative plan.

In my case the melted plug was apparently not caused by headlight current draw. I had owned the '85 for about 17 years at that point and I discovered the problem after I had been working on something in the cabin for an extended period of time with the door buzzer and interior lights on. (Good lesson there!) I do strongly agree with adding a headlight harness, both to relieve the stress on the switch and improve the lighting. I guess even one of the cheapo harnesses is better than nothing although I wouldn't put one in my Jeep for something as critical as headlights. It appears Rush Power Systems has a harness for around $50 that would be a reasonable price provided you don't want to make your own.

I'm glad you found at least the first part of your puzzle. Please get back if the above doesn't make a lot of sense.

In the process of swapping out the headlight switch, I also lost the dash clock (bulb blew apparently), the light on the power/comfort switch, and the speedo somehow.

The bulb that clicks on when the switch is on power has two long wires attached to it. Is this a common bulb that is easy to swap out? Not sure where the wires lead to.

How does that little switch work, anyhow? I would dismiss it as only a light, but it seems to make a difference when it's set to power.

Also, it looks like the speedo no longer works. Jeep dealer says they are NLA. Any idea how to fix it (seems like it's in 2 pieces and the part that connects to the tranny has a connector that no longer connects well.) or maybe an aftermkt supplier?

Checked the fuse. It's still good. You were thinking the fuse caused the light on the switch to go out?

Anyone with any other ideas on the bulb (with wires? huh?) or the speedo cable? All related to the headlight switch going out?

Checked the fuse. It's still good. You were thinking the fuse caused the light on the switch to go out?

Anyone with any other ideas on the bulb (with wires? huh?) or the speedo cable? All related to the headlight switch going out?

That fuse is the power for the Power/Comfort switch.

Ok...fuse is good = still getting power. So...bulb? You ever swapped it out? Where do the 2 wires on the bulb connect to?

Got the switch figured out. Got one from a junkyard and it works like a champ, so it must have been something in the switch itself.

That just leaves my speedo cable issue. From what I can tell, the connector that connects the lower half of the cable to the tranny keeps coming off. Is a new one the only way to go?

Back