• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help needed in denver (navy vet)

8.25-inch axle confirmed, no ABS! :guitar:

So that's what it needs? Or have one.
That is what the Jeep is equipped with.

The anecdotal evidence points to the rear axle bearings/set-up, maybe even the transmission/transfer case. Obviously, more diagnosis is required. Whatever the outcome, ABS is NOT a consideration, and that makes me happy. :)

Have we talked with her at all about diag on it? I'm off Sunday and can meet up to take a look. Hate for this to be a continuing issue. Let's do it to it:us:

Yes, I have spoken with her directly. She sent pictures to me this morning.

After I finish my work-week, and celebrate my wife's birthday, I'll be able to give more attention to this. Sunday just might work...

I think I found the problem...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

For the passenger side, there is nothing left of the self adjuster hardware, along with shoes and drum needing replaced. I had a look at the other side as well, it could stand to have the shoes and drum replaced.

I have a few offers for parts and monies already. We have achieved the brake hardware parts! I fell off my chair when I saw how much drums cost these days! All the same, this is a good example for getting your drums measured and giving heed to the discard diameter.

The parts list:

Advanced has new shoes for $24, before tax: P/N FR538

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wearever-silver-brake-shoe-set-rear-fr538/5451582-P#fragment-1

NAPA has new, 9-inch drums for $45 each, before tax: P/N ND 4401633

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brake-Drum-Rear-5/_/R-NDA4401633_0325245942

The drums at Advance are a little lower in cost, but have a bad review for being out of round: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ionPath=L1*14921|L2*16462|L3*15688#fragment-3

Considering the cost of brake parts cleaner, brake fluid, and tax, then rounding up, I am estimating the hard parts at $135.

So, who can help out a broke-arse college kid, with some good usable parts, or cash?

Don't be bashful, a post or even a PM is appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!

There is not a paypal associated with this. Over at CO4x4, cheftyler asked for part numbers and a shipping address: I like that concept!

If we can get people organized on Wednesday, to order parts for pickup at the stores local to me, I can have this young lady driving to school on the following Monday.

Of course, having someone else to help with labor, would be awesome too! :)

I believe I have some GOOD used drums and shoes Mike. I'd have to swing by the lot to confirm. Freebie if they'll be useful.

I can probably make it work to swing over to golden and help wrench some afternoon/evening this week.

Back up in Winter Park over the weekend...

Two questions
1- Troy what would a leaf pack setup cost from you?
2- if this is being done by 'naxja' does naxja accept responsibility for 'warranty' or anything of the parts.
I'd be willing to kick some toward doing the leaf packs too if it's gonna get done, and some beers for the guys doing work. Might as well do it right if we are gonna touch it. Also want to make sure to look after the chapter and any liability issues. (While I don't think it is an issue given the circumstance, it is a possibility and needs be brought up- maybe bod can make that determination in their private forum?)
Also as far as PayPal, can we submit funds to chapter and do it that route?

Also as far as PayPal, can we submit funds to chapter and do it that route?
Brilliant!

cheftyler is ready to pull the trigger on new drums. If we have a surplus of money after doing the rear brakes, there are a few things that could use attention on this XJ:
The heater does not get hot.
The gas gauge does not work, the warning lights (?) don't come on.
I have not looked at the front brakes.

I think we could build a new Cherokee if we looked at this one hard enough. Right now, we just want to get from point A, to point B, safely.

I want to thank everybody who has stepped forward! NAXJA :cheers: NAXJA

Back