• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help my Air Compressor!!!

91Woody

NAXJA Forum User
I was using my compressor the other day, it's an old one with a Sears 1/2HP motor attached to maybe a 20G tank. It wouldn't build up enough pressure to run my air tools so i bought a longer belt and ran it through the middle pulley on a three step pulley. It was previously on the smallest "sprocket" Well, it would run up to 115psi aftet the change, but was slow to get there and Ihad to be careful upon startup, certain points it would just not get going, so i would manually turn the pulley until it just got over what I can only call the "compression stroke" if that makes sense. Yes, i know it's electric, but i don't know what else to describe it as. Well, anyway, the last time i used it the pulley stopped moving and the spindle which is attached to it spun freely. Perhaps it's only the little allen screw got loosened up, perhaps it's worse. Any ideas on where to get a replacement motor cheap? Any recommendations on what to get as far as Hp, etc. This is running in my garage without a dedicated circuit, it is shared and way too much of a PITA to even consider changing. i need to get this up and running properly so I can think about installing my new lift.
Thanks in advance.

well you say it's an old one, so from what you say sounds like maybe the electric motor is wearing out and don't have the power anymore. Maybe you can oil the motor and get some more use out of it. Reminds me of some window fans I have had in the past, the motor would wear out (cheapies) so I would just oil the hell out of them and they would last the rest of the summer.

unfortunately I just checked the oil; it's new, full and clean. it's new to me and was used three times since i have had it.

Back