• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heim steering

i dont think you'll get any more or less misalignment with 7/8" heims over 3/4". the scale of them shouldnt matter.

Cool thanks dan. Now, will I be shearing 5/8 bolts all the time? If it is once in a while I don't mind. They are easy enough to change and carry spares. I'm concerned about how often. Most, if not all, will be in single shear. I might double shear the passenger side, haven't decided.

Also, are the knuckles cast iron? I have a inverter stick machine and I can pickup some nickel rod and do it right with pre/post heat, etc.

someone correct me if im wrong...

but on your steering links, you want to run a 3/4" bolt. drilling the knuckles and pitman arm to 3/4" completely removes the taper in them, while something smaller like 5/8" would leave some of it there.

i run 3/4" heims on my tie rod with no misalignment spacers along with a 3/4" bolt threaded into the knuckle with a nut on the bottom. i have inverted t steering so the drag link goes to the tie rod instead of the knuckle. the knuckles are cast iron.

someone correct me if im wrong...

but on your steering links, you want to run a 3/4" bolt. drilling the knuckles and pitman arm to 3/4" completely removes the taper in them, while something smaller like 5/8" would leave some of it there.

My understand was with the high misalignment spacers you had to run a 5/8 bolt because it fits inside the heim. Does that make sense? Maybe I am totally off base. This is my first venture with heims.

i run 3/4" heims on my tie rod with no misalignment spacers along with a 3/4" bolt threaded into the knuckle with a nut on the bottom. i have inverted t steering so the drag link goes to the tie rod instead of the knuckle. the knuckles are cast iron.

I was originally going to go otk jcr 1-ton, which is a inverted t. This is pretty much just a toy now, so I think a little dead spot in the steering won't be bad. So Maybe I should consider an inverted-t with heims.

The knuckles are cast steel not cast iron. You can weld to them with a high amp mig.
17B0EE97-9642-43BF-8859-02F45FCB14FE-1085-0000009EA505AC2D_zps868cd2f8.jpg

It's a dana 44 front, 7/8" heims, 3/4" steel middle arm, top arm and side plating is 3/8". The bolt runs through the stock hole and additional bracing. This pic was before I got the 8" bolt, so it is too short and only has a jam nut on it. It now has full solid shank inside the joints, with a lock washer and a lock nut.

I have 7/8" heims on the drag link and 3/4" heims on the tie rod. Only misalignment spacers are on the pitman arm, which I double sheared. Tie rod heims just have safety washers.

The only way to get the tie rod to clear everything OTK is to move the coil buckets back or bend it out away from them. One guy on here said he broke his 1.5" die like 3 times and welded it back together before he could make the 2 bends on the 1.5" dia, 0.25" wall tubing.

And you could run this for the drag link. I can't because it would hit my RCVs.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product/981/BTF-Cross-Over-Steering-Bracket-for-Dana-30-44-Knuckle.aspx

The knuckles are cast steel not cast iron. You can weld to them with a high amp mig.
17B0EE97-9642-43BF-8859-02F45FCB14FE-1085-0000009EA505AC2D_zps868cd2f8.jpg

It's a dana 44 front, 7/8" heims, 3/4" steel middle arm, top arm and side plating is 3/8". The bolt runs through the stock hole and additional bracing. This pic was before I got the 8" bolt, so it is too short and only has a jam nut on it. It now has full solid shank inside the joints, with a lock washer and a lock nut.

Looks good!! I have no problem welding on cast steel with my 220 Lincoln Mig. I welded my coil pucks and link arm brackets on my van's Dana 60 with it! I just think the one ton tre's, for my application (Dana 44 chrommoly 31 spline axle inners with max tire size of 37's) are more than sufficient. I think heims, in steering are not needed till you cross 38's and up. But that's my opinion. I think the heims look really cool and do great just not for me yet! That's a big YET! I may move to them in the future but for now I've decided I'm sticken with the tre's!

Back