• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights wiring problem

Switched ground for the headlights? I have no experience working on the early Jeeps, but troubleshooting the harness (and seeing if there's power at the headlight terminals) won't take long, and won't require the other Jeep. The harnesses are very simple circuits.

Good point. I will check that in the morning. Thanks.

Well I checked it, and sure enough there was power to the headlight connector I tested, drivers side, with the ignition and the head light switch off. So I pulled the relays one at a time, and did some iterative testing with my handy dandy volt meter!!!!:eek:

First relay pulled and reinstalled, and I never got power back the head lights under those conditions listed above after 100 iterative variable combination tests.

The lights, switch, relays, bulbs....et., al., all work properly now. :dunno:

I suspect it was one more random visit from my old jeep friends, the "Morphidite Electrons" clan!!!!

Thanks for help folks!!!!

I have real head lights now, so no more Oh Sh*t what did I just drive over at night now!!! LOL. Now I will have to look elsewhere for my evening adrenaline fix, LOL!

Switched ground for the headlights? I have no experience working on the early Jeeps, but troubleshooting the harness (and seeing if there's power at the headlight terminals) won't take long, and won't require the other Jeep. The harnesses are very simple circuits.

LOL, thanks for the suggestion, I think the volt meter scare off the GREMLINS!!!! LOL:D

Does your '85 have the option for keeping the headlamps on for 30 seconds after you shut off the engine?

I've never dug into the headlight sentinel circuit, but is it possible that the sentinel relay is powered with the key and there was a problem in that circuit?

Well I checked it, and sure enough there was power to the headlight connector I tested, drivers side, with the ignition and the head light switch off. So I pulled the relays one at a time, and did some iterative testing with my handy dandy volt meter!!!!:eek:

First relay pulled and reinstalled, and I never got power back the head lights under those conditions listed above after 100 iterative variable combination tests.

The lights, switch, relays, bulbs....et., al., all work properly now. :dunno:

I suspect it was one more random visit from my old jeep friends, the "Morphidite Electrons" clan!!!!

Thanks for help folks!!!!

I have real head lights now, so no more Oh Sh*t what did I just drive over at night now!!! LOL. Now I will have to look elsewhere for my evening adrenaline fix, LOL!

So you are using what headlamps with your new harness?

Does your '85 have the option for keeping the headlamps on for 30 seconds after you shut off the engine?

I've never dug into the headlight sentinel circuit, but is it possible that the sentinel relay is powered with the key and there was a problem in that circuit?

Yes, it has the bloody, pesky SENTINEL circuit (Sentinel Reminds of the MATRIX,:D LOL). I was wondering if it was screwing with me too!!!

Is it only 30 seconds? I always have to put the key in switch to run, turn the head lights off, then switch to off to get the SOB to turn the head lights back off.

Last edited:
That's what I wanted to hear. FWIW, I've never done the headlite harness on anything but a Jeep equipped with the sentinel headlights. No problems. I think it's more like 45 seconds to a minute and a half though.

What ever it is, it exceeded my patience and trust level timing, LOL! FWIW, it is probably the best bang for the buck mod I have done on a jeep in 10 years!

I use them whe I come home at night because I live in a rural area. But when I've accidentally used the sentinel lights like at the store or something, I'm always looking back to make sure they went out.

I use them whe I come home at night because I live in a rural area. But when I've accidentally used the sentinel lights like at the store or something, I'm always looking back to make sure they went out.

I live in the hood-- I figure that I probably don't want to see what's coming up behind me...

it's allowed by the Commonwealth, just not by the rules at work (no firearms allowed on the premises or even in your vehicle:rattle:)

I'll trust my intuition to keep me out of trouble-- that includes no headlight sentinel giving away my location:D

it's allowed by the Commonwealth, just not by the rules at work (no firearms allowed on the premises or even in your vehicle:rattle:)

I'll trust my intuition to keep me out of trouble-- that includes no headlight sentinel giving away my location:D

I'm of the belief that it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

times are tough-- don't "F" with the job.......

I agree with you, but in 19+ years, I've never needed protection between the car and home (I do have a car port and a garage)....

this "hood" is very "local friendly" and it's usually the "outsiders" that come here for some illegal stuff that get in trouble. I'm covered for intruders with the Mossberg (500)-- just have to be careful between the Jeep and home :)

Back