• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights wiring problem

Just alluding to some of the rather heated threads about the AutoPals versus Cibies or other higher-end headlights. Everyone who got the AutoPals loved em and thought they were a great improvement. Those who went high-end felt compelled to comment how theirs were much better. To me they are a great improvement for relatively cheap. Sure you can go top of the line in cost if you want a little better, but why?

EXACTLY. Those who used them loved them and those who didn't hated them. I 've had Cibies, Hellas, Marchals etc and they are no better than the Autopal E-codes.

Just alluding to some of the rather heated threads about the AutoPals versus Cibies or other higher-end headlights. Everyone who got the AutoPals loved em and thought they were a great improvement. Those who went high-end felt compelled to comment how theirs were much better. To me they are a great improvement for relatively cheap. Sure you can go top of the line in cost if you want a little better, but why?

Ohhh ... Those snobs ... Not us ones that got stuck with cibies as stock fittings ... ;) .. :)

I was just highlighting the sad fact that XJs actually came with decent lighting ... wellll - As decent as crappy, little square headlights can be ... but its home market got stuck with the mediocre lighting.

X 2 on autopal being good value for the money ... The brand gets ragged on down here too ... generally by those types who've had their wallet raped at ARB or somewhere ...

The cibie stuff is better quality tho - But when looking at aftermarket options ... does the long term use/driving scenarios ... justify the cost ??

Waiting on the harness delivery. Picked up the heavy duty (versus standard duty) headlight switch at NAPA Thursday, paid about a $10 premium, but has a 2 year warranty, and they claim it is better built internally, premium materials, whatever that is. Napa has two different quality switches!!!!!

Waiting on the harness delivery. Picked up the heavy duty (versus standard duty) headlight switch at NAPA Thursday, paid about a $10 premium, but has a 2 year warranty, and they claim it is better built internally, premium materials, whatever that is. Napa has two different quality switches!!!!!

You mean unlike Autozone who will sell you a HD version of the part, but it's the exact same piece as the regular duty? I dunno, the pictures of the two on their website look pretty much the same to me.

Yes, Napa has had to add an economy line in order to compete with Vatozone and the like.

I usually stick with my local Napa, as they're friendly and know their stuff. I might pay a few more bucks, but I've never gotten the wrong or broken part from them. They've also priced matched RockAuto on a few things for me.

The last time I went into Autozone they didn't have 9004 bulbs and told me that 9007 bulbs are the upgraded higher wattage version. I swear they must work on commission too as they tried to upsell me to a set of boutique $70 bulbs as well.

I usually stick with my local Napa, as they're friendly and know their stuff. I might pay a few more bucks, but I've never gotten the wrong or broken part from them. They've also priced matched RockAuto on a few things for me.

The last time I went into Autozone they didn't have 9004 bulbs and told me that 9007 bulbs are the upgraded higher wattage version. I swear they must work on commission too as they tried to upsell me to a set of boutique $70 bulbs as well.

I stick with Napa also. I just always get their Premium line, not the crap they've had to bring in to compete with Vatozona and the like. Things just ain't like they used to be.

LOL, that sounds more like the TwiLIGHT Zone than Autozone, LMAO!!!

I like AZ because they let me use their computers, do my own part searches, and they let me behind the counter for odds and ends part searches...And I can in and out fast. NAPA here is too slow, too little inventory, too high and so on. I buy from all of them, NAPA, AZ, AA, O'Reileys, Rockauto, Amazon and Ebay, sort of spread the wealth, LOL!

I did get dash light bulbs from NAPA this week right off their shelf for my 85 Cherokee, which was a shock!!!

Got the wiring harness installed, I added about 24" to the ground wire lengths, other than that, the install went well.

Then I swapped out the 2 YO AZ head light switch (which had a loose post on the large brown wire connection), and the new heavy duty, supper duper grade AAA NAPA switch is faulty on the interior lights and dash lights dimmer. It has a sweet spot that works for now, but it does not work properly. Half the sweep is open circuit on the dimmer, the bright side of the sweep at that! Very odd, not sure why it failed., but I also almost gave up trying to the get the switch internal assembly to grab the shaft when I installed it and bottomed it. Took about 30 tries before that worked too!!!

I was not impressed!!! And this is about my 6th install of this style switch on a Renix era jeep, so yes, I think I installed it right, LOL.

The head lights seem to be happy!!!:yelclap:

Last edited:
Got the wiring harness installed, I added about 24" to the ground wire lengths, other than that, the install went well.

Then I swapped out the 2 YO AZ head light switch (which had a loose post on the large brown wire connection), and the new heavy duty, supper duper grade AAA NAPA switch is faulty on the interior lights and dash lights dimmer. It has a sweet spot that works for now, but it does not work properly. Half the sweep is open circuit on the dimmer, the bright side of the sweep at that! Very odd, not sure why it failed.

The head lights seem to be happy!!!:yelclap:

Notice they are brighter?

Notice they are brighter?

I think so, but I will let my daughter be the judge.

I should be able to really see the difference on my 85 when I get it installed.

THANKS for the link!!!!

Tried it on the 1985 Cherokee, but as soon as I connect the ground wire the head light comes on, ignition off, head light off. Then if I turn the head light switch on, the head light goes out?

Sounds like you hooked up the relay to 87b and 30(normally closed contact). Easy fix, place the wire from 87b to 87...the normally open contact.

Sounds like you hooked up the relay to 87b and 30(normally closed contact). Easy fix, place the wire from 87b to 87...the normally open contact.

I did not wire it, it came pre-wired. Are you suggesting the factory flipped the wires, by mistake on the second one? I bought two of them, first one is working right on the 89. Could they have sent the wrong relays? Is there a NO and NC version of the relays?

There shouldn't be a NC contact on a 4 pin relay.

Break out a meter and see what's what

Not sure I agree, I have seen way too many relay options in process control over the years.

LOL, that is my line!!!! THIEF!!!! :laugh: LOL.

I will check the relays on both systems too, to see it they are the same. Since I have a working duplicate it will make some meter work easier. But I will need the other jeep home, and need to pull the grill on the rig I thought I was done with :banghead:....

My first thought was that maybe the 85 was wired differently.

Back