• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good headlight harness?

I have built many of these harnesses over the years, and honestly, the hassle isn't worth the cost savings. They are available so cheaply and done so well that I've stopped bothering trying to piece them together.

These guys have a great product line, excellent products, and their customer service is great.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1247

Their harness is completely plug-and-play, no cutting the factory headlamp wiring, just plug in, hook up two ring terminals to the battery, and mount the relays. I used this on my '89 XJ, and it works perfectly. Took about 15 minutes to install, most of which was removing the headlamp buckets and grille to run the wiring. Highly recommended.

While their product is nice and is plug n' play, looks like by the pricing of their unit, and the prices from delcity, I could do it myself for a lot less.

I'll pinch a penny where I can and put that towards another Jeep upgrade :)

Just bought the Susquehanna Motorsports harness for use with my Autopal's.

How are you guys installing the harness', are you removing the header panel and substituting the OEM harness or just running it above the rad support or behind grill?

I just popped the grill out and ran it alongside the stock loom. Figured if I had any major issues, it would be a lot simpler to get my lights working again.

I just popped the grill out and ran it alongside the stock loom. Figured if I had any major issues, it would be a lot simpler to get my lights working again.

Good point..

I thought i remembered the harness being at the top.. i'll dive into it tomorrow or so. Thanks hubs..

I actually found my h4 plugs in the electrical section at vatozone, never had any problems with 80/100w lights in them, do not get the vatozone relays though, they lasted about a week, I got replacements from rockauto for like $5 each and they've been perfect so far

Sorry to revive a old thread but I picked up the eAutoworks harness as well everything was there and was easy to hook up but I have run into one small issue. If I turn my brights on they will not turn off unless I turn the lights off completely. I have double checked my grounds swapped and tested the relays and have narrowed the issue down to the brights side of the harness. If I unplug the relay when I go from low beam to high the lows cut out and the light turns off (no relay for the high beams) but when I turn the highs but to low Beam they switch back without issue. Now if I remove the low beam relay and keep the high beam in and perform the same test once the high beam is turned on it stays on even if I go back to the low beams. I think the Harness was built incorrectly (best guess). I am also unable to return it because I have had it too long. Anyone else out there had this kinda problem.

Your post sounds strangely familiar, and I think it was another eAutoworks harness as well.

Seems to me there was something wired wrong to the high beam relay or it was the cheap a** relay itself.

Search eAutoworks and see if anything comes up.

Good luck.

I'm still not sure if that problem was the fog ckt, or just the dead relay. I've been playing with fiberglass resin today, so I'm not suffering from mental clarity at the moment.

In my little MEK-addled mind, it seems that if the lows stay on when the brights come on, it's normally the fog circuit, and that if the lights won't shut off, period, it's the headlight delay. This ignores the flaky connections and dead relays that occur, although less frequently, but it seems like most folks run into one of two issues, and both result from the fancy OE gadgetry. It's been a while since I played with my lights, but I know it's been hashed and rehashed a few times.

You guys seem to know your stuff pretty well so Im gonna ask a question somewhat related. I installed a Hella upgrade harness I just got from another member never used installed it today. I am running a 60/55 H4 style bulb in Pilot housings. I had everything installed ready to go, plugged my headlights in before I put my grill and everything back together. Well, I turned on my headlights and went to the front of the jeep and could feel massive amounts of heat coming from the headlights. The lenses on the housings are extremely hot to the touch, and as soon as I shut the lights off within 2 minutes they are cooled completely. My question is did I do something wrong or am I just being paranoid worrying about melting the plastic lens? Thanks guys for any help.

Good deal, skinner.

Cruiser, halogen lamps do get very hot. Plastic lens? Are you sure it's not glass? That might worry me, but I've never pointed an IR thermometer at one of mine to check just how hot they get.

hubs97xj* yes I am almost 100% certain they are plastic...or an extremely thin glass. I am worried thats why I figured I'd ask you guys if any of you have experienced this issue...thanks again

Good deal, skinner.

Cruiser, halogen lamps do get very hot. Plastic lens? Are you sure it's not glass? That might worry me, but I've never pointed an IR thermometer at one of mine to check just how hot they get.

thanks but after fixed it on the way home I realized that killed my foglights. :laugh: so I am back to square one.

Installed this little "cheapie" harness a month ago and couldn't be happier with it. Vast improvement even with stock lights. It is definitely thicker gauged then the factory harness and gave me just what I was looking for at a price that was worth it.

Dang skinner, I was feeling good about helping. Another workaround can be found in the thread below- check Ivan's post. That 4th wire in the driver's side headlight connector is the culprit- it's also part of the fog ckt. Yet another option, is to use the OE switch to run a stand-alone foglight relay/harness, which completely bypasses the factory setup that causes the headache in the first place, although the OE wiring is done that way to meet the motor vehicle codes regarding lighting, IINM. Hope something here helps- if not, search a bit. You're definitely not the only guy to run into this issue, although I was fairly certain the fogs should work with a headlight harness.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46483&highlight=

Back