• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Used to New House

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
My fiance and I just bought our first house. Lived in an apartment for 2 years prior. My fiance loves our house, and I like it to, I am just having trouble getting used to living there. There are things I don't really care for, but I can't really put my finger on what would make it better. I had a hard time with us moving into our apartment at first as well and I know it will get better...just like hearing advice and other stories from other people as it helps me calm down a bit. I know that moving into a house is a process, I mean we still have boxes on the dining room and some of our furniture won't be delivered till tomorrow and I know that will help..I just try to find things I can "make my own" but at the same time, I can't go out and spend tons of money on stuff just to make me feel better.

If anyone else has had similar experiences, how did you learn to cope with your new pad and making it your own?

I think I'd need to know what you don't like about it before I could compare any experiences.

Its not that I dont like it...its an awesome house...I am just having trouble adjusting to it. There are things that I would like to change to make it my own, but nothing that I hate about the house at all.

Have sex with your Fianc'e in every room in the house. You will feel right at home and will have a little adventure together :D

Gross.

Buy the biggest tv you can afford, relish in having a real garage instead of having to wrench in an apartment parking lot and enjoy the fact that you can drink beer on your front lawn waving a samurai sword in your underwear if you please.

Gross.

Buy the biggest tv you can afford, relish in having a real garage instead of having to wrench in an apartment parking lot and enjoy the fact that you can drink beer on your front lawn waving a samurai sword in your underwear if you please.

You sir have just made my day!
I bought a 60" TV, so thats covered...and the garage is a mess right now but getting there. Sword and underwear idea doesn't sound half bad.....

ROTFLMAO!

Wow. Quonset huts, hard-deck tents, bunkers, fighting holes, old WWII barracks--Japanese and American--GP tents, shelter halves, and ponchos with and without liners. Somewhere along the line I lost any feelings of "unease" in a new-to-me housing structure!

Glad you got your "home"--it will feel like a real home pretty fast.

We're all creatures of habit. When you move, it kicks you out of your groove, and it takes a while to adjust to the new "normal". Don't worry, in a month or so you won't even remember it seeming weird.

Until last December I'd lived in the same apartment for 8 years. The new apartment is "left handed": faces and opens out to the east. The old apartment was "right handed": opened to the west. All the doors and light switches are on opposite swing/wall location. It's September and I still reach for the wrong side of the hall to turn the lights on when I come in.

We're all creatures of habit. When you move, it kicks you out of your groove, and it takes a while to adjust to the new "normal". Don't worry, in a month or so you won't even remember it seeming weird.

Until last December I'd lived in the same apartment for 8 years. The new apartment is "left handed": faces and opens out to the east. The old apartment was "right handed": opened to the west. All the doors and light switches are on opposite swing/wall location. It's September and I still reach for the wrong side of the hall to turn the lights on when I come in.

Feng Shui! :cheers:

Spend the biggest part of a day mowing, pruning, edging, sweeping, etc. Once it gets dark outside, go in the house and spend a few minutes just looking around each room, then take a shower and reflect. Next morning at daybreak, take a lawnchair to the furthest point of the yard you own and drink your coffee while staring back at the house. You want to just look at it as it is. Get a feel for what blends in and what sticks out or catches your eye. Apply the same idea for the inside. Get a feel for each room by sitting on the floor in different places. It all sounds crazy, but if you AND your fiance do this together, and talk while doing it. It'll all sort out quickly and if you prioritize starting with the things that you can do for free or low cost, you get satisfaction and instant gratification while making the more expensive things wait for cooler heads and researched decisions.

I have actually started doing something similar to this. Ill walk around the house outside and in and vidualize different things....unfortunately we are going to have to get a fence built soon for our dog, which I am looking forward too since it will give us some privacy from the neighbors.
Its getting better though. I have been sleeping pretty good the last couple of nights VS. the first few nights we were there.

Have sex with your Fianc'e in every room in the house. You will feel right at home and will have a little adventure together :D

Holy balls, Ron made a funny!

I had a hard time adjusting to my place when I moved in. Hit amazon and bought a $400 surround sound system, and spent a long weekend watching action movies very loud. It was pretty home by Monday.

A couple days later I met the guy 4 doors down with 2 rock buggies and a lift. I'm *really* at home now...

Change the toilet seat. Nothing like dropping a deuce threw a fresh new seat.

I have owned my house outright for 3 years and worked on nearly every part of it, including everything from the foundation to the roof and gutting multiple rooms and I sometimes still don't feel like I own it. It does feel like home though.

Not sure this will ever change, at least till I finish repairing it... and start again at the other end...

I recommend having a showerbeer immediately. Cans are safer, don't want to drop a bottle and have it break :eek:

Back