• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Shop - SE Portland/Gresham area?

Well mike @ 4play is doing my gears next week. He's been very helpful, and emailed back and forth for the last couple months. Like I said before several of my Toyota friends have used him and been very happy! I'll let y'all know how things go on mine....

Well, went to Mike @ 'four play' and had my gears done. Had 4.56's installed in the dana 30 (along with a lock right) and the same gears in the rear chrysler 8.25, and a set of alloy USA shafts for the 8.25. Since they are new shafts they have no studs in them, which is perfect because I had a set of zj backing plates that I had mike put on, and a set of longer studs. Since the jeep has over 220k miles I had him replace all bearings, seals etc.

Picked up axles Friday night, mike and another guy loaded them in my truck, and bs'd for a couple min. Asked him if the backing plates went ok, and if the studs (for the backing plates) were long enough, he said yeah, it was good to go.

He did mention that I should 're torque' my wheels a few times for the first few miles because he 'didn't think he got the (wheel) studs all the way in'.....

I didn't think much of it, said thanks, and headed home. Planned on painting the axles Saturday and putting them back in the jeep today. He said if I have any issues with anything or need any help, to just let him know.

Now, Saturday morning I unload the axles, 8.25 first so I can install the zj discs. Looking at the wheel studs I find this:

Not terrible, but they were brand new studs, and they were/are bad enough that lug nuts would NOT go on! All ten wheel studs look like this!

Next issue that jumps out is the backing plate studs. I asked him, specifically, if the backing plate studs were long enough, and he answered yes. Also told him when I dropped off the axles, that of he needed longer bolts I would get them right up to him.....

This is what he apparently considers 'fine'

Maybe 2/3 of the way through the nut at best....

This is what they should look like:

So with all this overwhelming BS going through my mind, I throw up a rotor, no go! The wheel studs are not in all the way (therefore crooked as hell) so I can't even put the brakes on, or a wheel for that matter. I'd post a pic but you really can't see much detail without seeing it in person.

So needless to say, at this point I'm pissed! However, I know shit happens, so I keep my cool, and call mike. No answer! And his voicemail is turned off.... Wtf? Send him a text saying I need to talk to him. Nothing! Send him a second text, saying I'm disappointed with a few things and we need to talk.... Nothing! (This is Saturday)

Funny thing is, up until he got paid, he always answered his phone when I called, and always texted me back within min's.... I know he wasn't doing much this weekend, he was working on his truck and said if I needed help with anything he'd be around, and to just give him a call.

Looks to me like he's choosing to ignore me. Just want to give anybody in the market for gears/axle work a heads up. Heard lots of good things about Mike, but I'm pretty unimpressed to say the LEAST! Now I can't put my jeep back together, had to buy bolts, and some other stuff to fix the backing plates, had to spend time, and again money on tools to fix the damaged wheel studs, and still haven't figured out exactly how to get the studs properly pressed in.... May take the shafts to six states Tuesday, which means I'm out more time, and more money.

The thing that is haunting the back of my mind, is if he does stuff like this, cuts corners like this, what else may he have cut corners on inside the axles that I don't even know about???

dude, grab your hammer and a thread cutter. your axles are out so all you need to do on the studs is smack them into place. then take a thread cutter to the studs and fix up the threads real fast. I understand paying for good work and finding things like this(pisses me off too). BUT it don't look too bad to me. don't fret, keep your records in case of falure.

good luck with her, I hope you get it back on the road!

Your axle may have been the first 8.25 he has ever done also.
Last I talked to him he had to borrow the tools to do it. And didn't know how to set it up
It might be worth checking it out before running it.

Bronze, I already cleaned up the threads, and I can assure you, a hammer will NOT press the studs in! Already tried, and tried a ball joint press. Gonna take a real press....

And specfab, that's what I'm worried about. Now I'm hearing the same stuff.... Problem is I can't afford to have someone go back through the dam things!

If the studs are going back in that hard they maybe the wrong ones. I never use a press to install them. It maybe wrong, but I suck them threw the holes with two washers and a tall nut. I put anti-seize on the stud and use two washers so they spin on each other and an impact. I put anti-seize on the washers to.

Last edited:
If the studs are going back in that hard they maybe the wrong ones. I never use a press to install them. It maybe wrong, but I suck them threw the holes with two washers and a tall nut and two washers. I put anti-seize on the stud and use an impact.
I use a similar method, 2 washers and a Grade 5 nut.. hit them with my little 1/4" 18v Impact and it works..

I just had to do 5 of them on one wheel of my wifes jeep.. dealership forgot to tighten the 4 lugs but torqued the locking lug, Needless to say, the locking lug snapped and she had a gnarly wobble:flamemad:

Studs are exactly the same as the factory ones, just longer. I just don't want to make more of a mess.... My thinking is the smartest thing to do with the shafts is to take them to someone that actually knows what they're doing?

Although the nut idea makes sense.....

And Dave, fwiw, these shafts were brand new, never had any studs installed. I'm assuming that's why they are slightly more difficult that a shaft that already has had studs installed.... Although axles are not my thing so I could be wrong

That's kinda what I was thinking..... This ought to be fun.... :(

Thanks specfab!

Well decided to take the shafts to six states, guy looked at them and said it wasn't too bad, and thought he could press them in the rest of the way.

Funny side note- guy says 'you know you can tap those in with a hammer right?'
I smiled and said 'do what you gotta do, already tried that'

When I picked them up he says 'holy sh!t man, that took nearly all my 50 ton press had! It was sketchy!'

So studs are in, and straight!! Cleaned up the threads and my locker showed up this afternoon so I can get this all done tomorrow.

Just total bullshit I have to go back and do all the shit I already paid mike to do. I should have had these axles in Saturday!

So essentially I spent about $85 and a shit load of time and fuel to fix his mistakes. My time is pretty valuable so I consider this a pretty big f-up on his part.... Fingers crossed, hopefully everything else is ok.

Overall, not impressed

Anything look wrong with this picture???

Anybody know where I can get a roll pin for the cross shaft or whatever its called??!! I gotta get this thing rollin! And can I even get it in there without taking the whole diff back out?

Yeah. Just talked to Darrell.... Didn't want to drag him into this but he's going to take care of it for me, since mike is choosing to ignore me.

Its a damn miracle that the carrier was positioned where it was when I pulled the cover, or I would have never seen it! Darrell says he machines the carrier to take a 8.8 retaining bolt because the roll pin is just not strong enough for any kind of lunch box locker.

Now I'm tearing the whole F-ing front end apart, so I can pull the carrier to have Darrell finish/fix it. There was no roll pin

Darrel will take care of you.
I would have done the whole install right for you with the axles still under the rig for a fair price and saved you a lot of hassle he under cuts me by $40 an axle and you have to pull them to get poor quality work

I stayed quiet because I thought you were being a tad critical..

But the missing roll pin is crossing the line:nono:

Back