• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fully adjustable ECU

...and a stand-alone Fuel Management System, not a bad way to spend ten thousand dollars..."

-Vin Diesel--The Fast and the Furious

Electromotive & FAST Eng mgmt. syss

www.fuelairspark.com and electromotive both have engine managment systems that will work on most any engine (6 cyl 4.0 included). There are others out there also. They both will enable tuning to acheive more horsepower - question is how much do you want to spend. I was told the Electromotive is about $2500 and I beleive the FAST system is more like $2000.
I don't beleive most Jeepers are ready to spend those amounts to gain a few horsepower (5 - 10%) but if you are racing every horsepower counts.

Dr. Dyno said:
For all the bolt-on performance mods, ported head, performance cam, and even a stroker, the stock PCM can adapt itself pretty well to these changes.
If you want more fuel you can get that either with larger injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (increase fuel pressure), or a MAP adjuster (increase injector duty cycle).
If you want more timing, you have to get a chip. The 4.0 doesn't need a lot of timing to produce full power (maximum advance 34 degrees) so it's doubtful that adding timing will help.
If you add forced induction you certainly need a custom engine management system. It can either be stand alone (managing all engine functions) or a piggyback system (manages only fuel and timing). The latter would be a more practical choice. One of the best on the market is the Perfect Power SMT-6 but it isn't cheap:

http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp

Unfortunately it doesn't specify whether you'd need a 3-bar MAP sensor to monitor boost pressure (rather than vacuum).

A 1998 MOPAR performance parts cat., p102, lists a Turgocharger kit which includes a 3 ATM MAP sensor for presures above 14 PSI. This is for 2.2 and 2.5 Super 60 upgrades. Could this MAP sensor be used in place of the stock one?

As far as custom EFI goes, I just read about the Megasquirt system in Car Craft. THe deal is that you build the control box yourself. It's definitely low buck (around $200) and runs speed-density or Alpha-N and I think it has provisions to run with a turbo or SC. May be another option. I was going to try using it on a custom 4.3 chevy or 4.6 I-6 stroker

IIRC, Megasquirt assumes that you know at least a little about programming the engine control system to work correctly, meaning more room for user error and engine problems if you don't. Now, if you're already tearing out the electronics and doing a custom twin turbo system, I'd think you wouldn't want to spare a cent on engine control. If you're going from carburetor to fi? yeah, megasquirt would be great choice. Just not what I would run on a motor with several thousand dollars into it, and the propensity to destroy itself should anything go wrong. just my $.02

I saw this thing on the inernet

I was looking to see if I could find a jet cpu on e-bay for cheap, and I searched for "jeep performance chip" and I found these electical tape and wire things that "piggyback" the ECU, these sell for $10-$30 and claim up to 15hp gains, I thought these were gimmicky, are they?

Dbkirkpatrick, I think what you were looking at on eBay is an adjustable MAP sensor, not the coolant resistor trick. This is pretty close to what you get when you buy a JET chip, but for a lot less money. I have no idea how many horses its good for, but here is the link if you want to build one:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/MAP_adjuster.html

BTW The cooling trick works well. I used the same basic idea and modified it with an on/off switch and a potentiometer. I can adjust the aux fan to come on at whatever temperature I want :laugh3:

Late post but the Edelbrock system is a fully adjustable ecu.
Pro-flo. Which I have on my Small Chevy in the XJ.
they are now making it for 318s I believe.
I have a dash mounted screen. I can add fuel spark at any rpm or vac. Three settings I can load at anytime.
Probably way off topic by now but I tought Id ring in.
Jeep%20Dash1.JPG

plumbing_1.JPG

http://www.autronic.com/index.html autronic works the best I have it on a

tt300zx and 2001gsxr1000 soon to be on an 89xj I have used motec and aem

nothing I have seen so far is as simple to tune. I run a xj with 37x13 boggers

and 4.88 gears and I also have a turbo in the works but I don't want the

turbo to hit low I have never had any problem getting my xj moving it just

runs like a dog on the highway but it is fine Offroad and have no problem

running over hondas..lol

Does anyone have experience with SplitSecond (www.splitsec.com) ? Here are the emails I've exchanged with their tech department lately:

9/5/2004:
Can you please advise me of everything I'll need to install an FTC1 into a turbocharged Jeep? I've got a freshly rebuilt 1982 258 (overbored 0.030"), with a head and fuel injection from a 1993 4.0 engine, and I'm building a turbocharger manifold to run a Garrett T04E-50 and water/air intercooler. It looks as if your piggyback system will work just fine and save me a lot of money over a stand-alone system. Also, please advise me if the FTC1 will enable me to still have sequential injector firing. Thanks, Ralph

9/7/2004:
Ralph, you will need the FTC1-019E and a set of larger injectors. You may need a larger fuel pump, but that depends on what you have. You will also need a decent lambda meter to measure your air/fuel ratios. The FTC1 will not change the way your injectors are fired by the stock ECU. Regards, Mark Amarandos, Split Second

9/7/2004:
Mark: Thanks for the reply. I'd like to place an order within the next week or so. Can you please reply with a price for the FTC1-019E, and any other parts I will need such as the R4 software and wire harness to interface with my Jeep's ECM? By the way, I've just obtained a 1999 intake manifold. I'm thinking about finding a wire harness and OBDII computer, as well. Will this change the items I will need from you? Thanks, Ralph

9/8/2004:
Ralph, The FTC1-019E costs $579. The only thing you will need to get it working is a serial cable to go between the FTC1 and your laptop. The FTC1 is normally used in conjunction with larger injectors. It does not matter if you convert to OBDII. Regards, Mark Amarandos

Last edited:
Back