• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Width HP44/9" Build-Up

I have just pulled the same axles for my jeep. I have the front figured out, Im going to be making my own 3 link. So Im going to order the truss from TNT, make my own spring perches, order some lower control arm mounts, make a trackbar braket, and that is it in a nut shell. Also those with the same setup what back spacing are the wheels you are using. Because i have a set of 6 inch flares of a TJ, also are the nice aluminum wheels off a 1995 ford F150 15x8 and have the right back spacing...

baseballneal86 said:
I've made a little bit of progress on the Jeep lately. This past weekend I boxed in my shackle hangers and added new mounts for the shackles, ended up moving 3" down and 2.5" forward. This lets them sit at a much better angle for increased flex and a much smoother ride. There's 4 plug welds per side along with all the edges being welded up. Also used the original bolt just for added peace of mind. Thanks to XJ_ranger for the inspiration and writeup.

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

My shackle angle is so bad in the pics because of how flat my leaf pack is. I found 2 cracked leaves on both sides so right now there's only 3 leaves per pack. I'll be adding a few more before all is said and done. This should pull the shackle closer to a 45* angle like it should be.

You still need to add about 1.5" longer shackles. They will still flatten out that far when flexed. The longer shackles will also help flex.

TNT said:
You still need to add about 1.5" longer shackles. They will still flatten out that far when flexed. The longer shackles will also help flex.

Wow, that makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

Unfortunately I blew the headgasket on this jeep so I'm starting over on another `95. The plan is to continue building the front HP44 until it's completely ready to swap in. That way I'll still be able to wheel and *hopefully* minimize the down time.

any updates
kind of weird that I found this thread but I ended up snagging these axles from baseballneal86 back in may. Toasted the bearings in my 8.25 and built the 9 in my living room over 2 weekends in October to get to the Harlan, KY Fall Crawl.

Put in a detroit, 4.56, daytona pinion support and daytona yoke, crush sleeve eliminator, GLO pinion guard, and used TSM's brake brackets with '80 malibu calipers. Already have a waggy 44 with chromos, so i didn't end up using the front 44.
DSC01383.jpg

DSC01394.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

what size tires are you running with those 4.56's? Show us some good full shots of the jeep! Are waggy 44's High pinion too (I'm not that knowleadgable)? What was the donor vehicle for the 9"?

Oh, and nice CJ sitting there... or is it a YJ with CJ front clip? Can't tell where the pinion is at on it... that would be a good giveaway (I think?). Looks like power steering pump replacement... hate those older style ones... they leak really easily...

what size tires are you running with those 4.56's? Show us some good full shots of the jeep! Are waggy 44's High pinion too (I'm not that knowleadgable)? What was the donor vehicle for the 9"?

Oh, and nice CJ sitting there... or is it a YJ with CJ front clip? Can't tell where the pinion is at on it... that would be a good giveaway (I think?). Looks like power steering pump replacement... hate those older style ones... they leak really easily...
35's normally, ran 36x13.50 Irocs for the Harlan trip. No Waggys are low pinion (my build up is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466573). You'll have to ask baseballneal86 what he got the axles out of, but I found out the hard way that the front was 79 year, and the rear was 78. Roommates 79 CJ-5 304 and T-18 on 35s locked rear, he was putting a PSC hydro ready box in that weekend.
From our Virginia Tech Memorial Trail Ride at Big Dogs this summer:
DSC01330.jpg

Last edited:

looks like a cj5....

nice build up!

this is what i wanna do thanks for the pics good job btw
Well let me be clear that this is baseballneal86's thread, I just stumbled upon it and posted some info on the 9" since it was his originally.

And I'm lucky here the apartment guys always come by and watch us work on our jeeps, yotas, whatever and tell us they like our "machines". My old roommates had a supercharged alcohol injected 4-runner and a 351 Ford Torino

DSC01381.jpg

I welded in part of my S&W cage right in front of my apartment door lol.

Last edited:
Back