• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full time light wire

Oddball, I just looked at the diagram I have too.....

It does go through the trans....

That makes me wonder if the wire tells the TCM that it's in 4WD and THEN it turns on the light.....

I also see that my NP231 also goes thru the trans.....

What that doesn't tell you is if that is just a connector or it actually goes thru the TCU.....

Maybe the "Full Time" is for the optional 242? The factory only installed one wire from the passenger side vac switch on my 231 - Part Time.

I have fog lamp hookups on the wiring loom at the bumper, but no lamps. The factory wiring harness has an optional plug-in mini harness if I need to wire the optional switch at the dash. There are loads of designed-in-but-not-there components in the wiring loom due to the number of competing options.

What you are wanting to do probably doesn't exist in terms of a factory installation, as the 231 is not full time - it's off-road use only. The 242 offers that - and I suspect has no "part time" wiring. It's the same wire moved to the Full Time light. That way the assembly line worker just hooked it up to read according to the optional X-case installed.

TiRod said:
Maybe the "Full Time" is for the optional 242? The factory only installed one wire from the passenger side vac switch on my 231 - Part Time.

I have fog lamp hookups on the wiring loom at the bumper, but no lamps. The factory wiring harness has an optional plug-in mini harness if I need to wire the optional switch at the dash. There are loads of designed-in-but-not-there components in the wiring loom due to the number of competing options.

What you are wanting to do probably doesn't exist in terms of a factory installation, as the 231 is not full time - it's off-road use only. The 242 offers that - and I suspect has no "part time" wiring. It's the same wire moved to the Full Time light. That way the assembly line worker just hooked it up to read according to the optional X-case installed.

I don't agree, the "amber" wire exists in both configurations, the "green" is missing in 231 installations

TiRod said:

No, because the NP242 has both "Full Time" and "Part Time". Meaning both lights should come on depending whichever mode you're in. Besides, the pluig on the transfercase itself has two prongs. One for each bulb. The wire must dead end somewhere, or perhaps simply doesn't exist. When I tear apart my dash I'll take a look.

I found it! :)

It's a yellow and black wire on my 1989 4.0L Cherokee Pioneer Manual trans w/NP231.

And it's located here:

All you gotta do is run it right to the plug on the transfercase and it'll work. Note that it doesn't continue through the plug, it ends there.

Also, you should not have to remove your dash. Mine already had the bulb inside of it! If it doesn't work still, then take the dash out and see if the light bulb is there or if it's broken.

Cool, now you have a working light....

Damn, there is a difference between 87 and 89 idiot lights......

Friggin Chiltons....

Now I want to go and get my light working.......(Like I said before, I have conitinuity thru the switch, but no power to the bulb....even though the dash power is okay)

Last edited:
poorboy_616 said:
It may be that the FT t-case has two seperate wires and grounds??

I would try the searching feature on the board (again, if you already have) and see what other issues have arisen from this swap....

All years don't use the same wiring.
The 96 has 2 wires on the TC switch. If you have a 231, 1 wire is the ground and the other for the PT light. If you have a 242 1 wire is the Ft the other is the PT and the ground comes from the switch through the TC.
The 99 has 2 wires for the 231, 1 ground 1 PT. The 242 has 3, ground, PT, FT.
You need to check the wiring for your year.

Back