• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: 1996 XJ 4x4 4.5" LA 33"s

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm afraid the time has come for me and my XJ to part ways. My boss would like me to get a Bachelor's degree in Comp Sci, and will be paying part of my tuition - how can I say no to that? Basically I will be working full time and taking classes on weekends and evenings, leaving me no time to offroad my XJ for at least the next 2 years. I've decided that the prudent thing to do is to sell the XJ and get a reliable fuel-efficient car to drive at least until I graduate. I don't have room for 2 vehicles, and even if I did I wouldn't want to extra insurance and maintenance of a second vehicle that gets used 1 weekend a month.

Anyway, here are the specs for the XJ.

Axles:
Front:
- Dana 30
- 4.56 gears
- RuffStuff diff cover
- Aussie locker
- JKS MiniSkids
Rear:
- 29-Spline 8.25"
- 4.56 gears
- RuffStuff diff cover
- Stock open differential

Suspension:
Front:
- Rough Country 4.5" coils
- Bilstein 5150 10" travel shocks
- TnT Customs Long Arms
- JKS Quicker Disconnect swaybar w/ cable clips to hold them up
- All steering components are brand new V8 ZJ parts
- JKS SBS steering box brace installed
- RE Extreme-duty tackbar and bracket
Rear:
- Rough Country 4.5" full leaf packs
- Bilstein 5150 10" travel shocks
- JKS boomerang shackles

Engine:
- New 3-core all-metal HD radiator
- New water pump
- All cooling hoses are new
- All tune-ups and oil changes done on time

Brakes:
- Rear drum brakes recently rebuilt and adjusted
- Front disc brakes have new rotors and new Performance Friction pads
- Brake fluid flushed annually with vacuum bleeder
- All soft lines replaced with TJ lines within the past year
- ABS system installed but disabled due to rear axle swap
- Included but not installed are a pair of ZJ rear disc brake caliper brackets and calipers for use as cores - to install this you would need rotors, calipers, hydraulic soft lines, pads, and possibly e-brake shoes

Transmission:
- Transmission fluid changed on schedule with "poor man's flush"
- I have used Castrol Dex III in the tranny the entire time I have owned it
- Explorer transmission cooler added, plumbed in ahead of the radiator cooler

Emissions:
- Cat is original, but passes smog with flying colors each time
- Emissions recall performed, car passed all tests and has new flash program
- Both O2 sensors are new Bosch units
- Stock muffler was damaged offroad, it was replaced with a Magnaflow catback system with chrome tip removed

Lights:
- Headlights replaced with AutoPal E-codes with Philips Xtreme Vision +80 bulbs
- 10ga headlight harness installed
- IPF combo lights installed on front bumper with 100w IPF bulbs

Armor/recovery:
- BillyBar (r) rocker rails welded on
- TnT Customs bellypan (part of the Y-link setup)
- JKS MiniSkids on front axle CA brackets
- RuffStuff differential covers, f+r
- Aftermarket hitch installed
- Front tow hook attached to the tab on the JKS SBS
- Included but not installed is a stock fuel tank skid and brand new Mopar nutstrips

Interior:
- Husky floor mats front, rear, and cargo area
- Front seats replaced with ZJ leather seats, driver's seat has been reupholstered
- Sony X-plod head unit with CD player and 1/8" input jack
- Front speakers are Boston Acoustics 5.25"
- Rear soundbar with 6.5" Alpine speakers
- Speakers in tailgate have been disconnected

Drivetrain:
- NP231 t-case with RE H&T SYE
- Front and Rear driveshafts were custom built by Wenco in Van Nuys, and have been rebuilt within the past year

Other:
- Tires are BF Goodrich AT/KOs in 33x12.5R15, and all have good tread left
- Wheels are 15" steelies powdercoated silver
- Front is bumpstopped with hockey pucks, rear is bumpstopped with Daystar shock-mounted bumpstops
- Tailgate has 2 new gas springs installed
- Also included is a 48" Hi-Lift jack, a heavy-duty 12v air compressor, and a set of Staun tire deflators

The Bad:
- Engine leaks a bit of oil from the O-rings on the oil filter adapter
- I hit the rear bumper cover on a rock at Calico, the passenger corner is a bit bent
- I do not have a full-size spare or a mount for one
- The paint and body is in overall good condition, but there are a few scratches and dents here and there
- Front driveshaft has a light vibration that starts at 60MPH, I believe this could be corrected by adjusting the UCA length, but it was not bad enough to bother me so I never fixed it

Pictures:
P1000213.jpg

P1000214.jpg

P1000215.jpg

P1000216.jpg

P1000217.jpg

P1000221.jpg

P1000224.jpg

P1000231.jpg

P1000230.jpg

And a poser pic:
P1000186.jpg

The XJ is located in Simi Valley. I am asking $5,500 for it, but if you have a reasonable offer I would be happy to consider it.

You can contact me either by PM, or by e-mailing me at [email protected] . If you'd like to talk to me on the phone, e-mail or PM me and I will give you my number; I would prefer not to post my number on the Internet.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

- Dan

A few things I forgot to mention - the Jeep has 176,xxx on the odometer, it runs great, handles nicely, in fact I am using as my daily driver currently.

You may also notice that I've trimmed the front fenders a bit and moved the stock flares up.

Why not daily drive the XJ. Its gonna cost more to build a new one than you are going to save on gas haha. 2 years aint long.

Because there are a lot more expenses than just gas that go into an XJ on 33s. I will be putting in probably 3 times the daily mileage when classes start, tires alone will cost a fortune. Heck, I can get a full set of tires for an econo-box for the price of one 33" BFG tire. With tires that big, bearings etc will wear out faster, requiring more maintenance. I have run the numbers, and there is no likely situation I can think of wherein DDing my XJ that many miles makes sense.

Just talked to the wife and surprisingly - amazingly - she was all for it. Most likely it'll have to be after I get my taxes done, but if it's around then, I'm very interested.

Dude, why not return it to stock and keep your parts for a couple of years down the road or sell the parts? You could get stock control arms, wheels/tires, etc for relatively cheap....heck, go to PAP. Just a thought...

Dude, why not return it to stock and keep your parts for a couple of years down the road or sell the parts? You could get stock control arms, wheels/tires, etc for relatively cheap....heck, go to PAP. Just a thought...

Because you cut the stock lower control arm mounts off to mount the Y-link

Wanna trade?

That's a quality built rig for a good price. Good luck to you.

Couple of things, I said in the initial posting that the exhaust was Magnaflow, that is not correct, it is Dynomax.

Additionally I wanted to make sure and mention that the heating and air conditioning systems work great. XJ's switched to R134a A/C in '96, and this system works great and blows nice 'n cold.

I appreciate the sentiment of the posters who have suggested I dd the XJ, but believe me, I have put a lot of thought into this and I determined that trying to return the XJ to stock would be more trouble that it's worth. I'd need to weld on stock CA brackets, I'd have to regear at least the rear axle if I wanted to go highway speeds with stock size tires, etc, and after all that I'd still have an SUV with a 4.0L engine that only gets marginally better mileage than it did modified.

Just talked to the wife and surprisingly - amazingly - she was all for it. Most likely it'll have to be after I get my taxes done, but if it's around then, I'm very interested.

Sounds good, I did some research on the Focus and it sounds like a good car for my purposes.

- Dan

I think I am going to have to withdraw my interest. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be getting as much back as I thought in my taxes. Really nice Jeep, wish I could still do it. :(

I think I am going to have to withdraw my interest. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be getting as much back as I thought in my taxes. Really nice Jeep, wish I could still do it. :(

Sorry to hear that, but I know how it goes. I actually owe money this year on my taxes.

- Dan

Hey Dan, I know it isn't realted to the sell of the vehicle, but I was just wondering if those rear flares are in the stock position, or if they have been moved up???

Back