• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Coilover Mounting

The battle of the n00bs!
are properly set up coilovers better? Yes
are poorly setup coilovers better? Debatable.
you get what you pay for with shocks.
I seriously doubt a set of ranchos will outperform my 7100's, bu

Would i love some 9500s? Yes, but wayy out of my budget
one could argue that if you cant set up coilovers correctly, you can't set up regular shocks correctly either.
if you're comparing poorly setup coilovers to professionally setup coil springs and shocks, that's apples to oranges.

Sticking with currie coils could not have anything to do with sponsorship...
Just saying..

No. It wouldn't. If you know Blaine and gerald, you know that they care more performance than anything. As far as I know the move to mod class is more about getting an LS and ditching the stroker, and running a 37" tire. And Gerald said he was looking forward to being the underdog again.

If Blaine thought he could get better performance out of the car by switching to coil overs he would do it.

I am just saying Dan, that your way (coil overs) is not the only way or necessarily the best way for all. As I said before in an XJ in aNON RACEapplication young members starting out don't need to spend their money on something that they don't need at first, coils work just fine till you get a few years of wheeling then you can decide if it's worth the hassle of changing your DD or weekend rig. That and only that is my point. Yes you can tune coil overs till the cows come home and if you get it wrong BUY another set of primaries or secondaries and keep spending money on other coils till you learn or have spent enough that you got it right then save some money to rebuild them when they blow a seal or wear. As far as setting up shocks who needs to set them up? Bolt them on and if they are 9000's pull over and turn the nob one click till you like the ride. If you have coil overs go home jack it up remove the coil over order new coils put them on and try them out again nice and simple. By the way like I said earlier in my post when and if I build my 85 I may go coil overs because it will be totally modified unless I find some really tuned coils, or maybe some of those elliptical springs like Curt LeDuc ran a few times on his truck. lol!!!

As far is nOObs I assume that you mean new to the site which is correct. I was on 2-3 years ago but really did not have the time to chit chat so eventually I could never remember my site name or password so I picked a new one. If you mean new to XJ's I had already dropped a V8 in an XJ & was running 35's while others were trying to fit 32's. Check the 92-93 Sidekick calendar that Rick Russell, one of the 1st trail map plotters and producer of maps in the area that he use to put together for sale or the In Gear from CA4WDC in the Hammers article for the same years. I stopped in 97 parked the rig and was coaching High School football for the last 15 years and doing Baja In my 5 link, I converted, 2002 Ford 7.3 Van 4x4 with coils and you guessed it Rancho 9000's. Besides the race stuff I mentioned earlier I guess you can say this ain't my first coil set up sorry I meant rodeo. I don't know a lot so thats why I ask but I cannot agree with closed minds, there's a means for everyone and it's all related to what you learn from everyone not just ONE post or persons experience. Just like rockclimber said about his buddies it works for them and may be better in their application, weight balance or horsepower

Last edited:
coils and bypasses > coilovers and no bypsses > coils and no byapsses

To be sure, if they were allowed two shocks per corner, they would be doing coilovers over bypasses..

To be sure, if they were allowed two shocks per corner, they would be doing coilovers over bypasses..

Did they change the rule? Mod class is allowed 2 shocks/corner, but as far as I read they had to be mounted to the axle.

Did they change the rule? Mod class is allowed 2 shocks/corner, but as far as I read they had to be mounted to the axle.

And so they are, I misread the rule.

Could be a packaging thing, but more likely its their mission - to showcase excellent off the shelf products from Savvy and Currie.

Could be a packaging thing, but more likely its their mission - to showcase excellent off the shelf products from Savvy and Currie.
nothing wrong with that, especially since they obviously have a good driver and it seems to work for them.

In part, yes. But only because they know that once you are tuned properly, there is no benefit of a coilover to a coil/shock combo. Other than the packaging issues which Dallas solved nicely.

someone needs to come up with a bypass coilover lol

I've seen this done before a while back. It looked like a 2.5 body shock with approx 10 inches of travel. The body was maybe 25 - 30 inches long and the bottom half carried the coilover and the top half had the bypass tubes. It was a custom setup and tough to package in almost every application but it's totally do-able.

I agree with you Cal with one exception. Based on Jeepspeed rules, we ran 2.5 bypass shocks in the Jeepspeed and they would fade after a short while. We switched to 3.0 smooth body shocks and they didn't fade for a long time. For us the car handled best with shocks that didn't fade over shocks that controlled the travel but faded early.

I know it's a desert race application versus rockcrawling/KOH app so it might not really apply, but I thought I'd pass my experience along.

Back