• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Wrap

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any cheap options in keeping the front axle wrap under control?

I have a long arm suspension just like a RE radius arm and have noticed that the front end really starts to hop under throttle when on really steep climbs and racing in deep sand. I built the long arms almost 5 years ago and its been great but after the increase in power from a stroker and me pushing the limits of the Jeep further I have found some flaws in this type of design. The last trip I was out I was on a really steep muddy wet rock climb and the front kept hoping around at the top when under throttle and ended when the passenger side tire droped into a crack which broke an inner shaft and spit the U joint caps out of my front Dana 44. Alloys are on order but that doesnt fix the axle wrap. I have done some searching and would love to have a URF hidden 3 link but time and money are not on my side at the current moment.

Thanks,

AARON

a center limit strap will prevent it from unloading farther than you want, but still allow the flex at the tires...

Thats not axle wrap!

RCP Phx said:
Thats not axle wrap!

What was it then?

The few people who where watching all said they could see the axle moving in relation to the UCAs. These people are mechanics by trade so I usually believe what they say. I go through a set of stock rubber bushings at the axle end about once a year and they where just replaced before my last trip.

I agree that a limiting strap will help unloading but I dont see that fixing the problem completly. Is my only option getting long uppers?

AARON

axle wrap is the axle twisting. I would guess you have axle hop if you are having problems in deep sand. Better shocks should solve the problem.

Wrap is the axle twisting and is a common problem with leaf spring setups. You have control arms which should not allow wrap unless something is seriously wrong.

You can try replacing one of the three rubber bushings with poly, and see if that stiffens things up a bit. 200 ft/lbs of torque can very easily deflect those three bushings to the point that the axle starts to wrap pretty seriously, especially when the front end is "light" during a climb.

radius arms are pretty notorious for unloading, and just being annoying. like crash said, try going with poly bushing(s), or go with a different style front suspension if its really bad. after driving my buddys jeep w/ radius arms, i made my own mid arm 3 link, and i love it

I had a similar issue climbing snow covered hills. The front end was hopping around violently. Bad UCA bushings and too soft Doetsch MV12 shocks were replaced.

Ronbo said:
I had a similar issue climbing snow covered hills. The front end was hopping around violently. Bad UCA bushings and too soft Doetsch MV12 shocks were replaced.

Thanks. That sounds like the problem I have. Shocks are on the to do list before summer. I will try and replace one of the uca bushings with poly and see if that helps otherwise it sounds like I will be looking a building a new front suspension.

AARON

Back