• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front and rear bumpers

I'll wait for the long term reports.Im still concerned about movement/failure since you have so little separation between the bushing mounting points.Ive seen very few carriers of any kind that are 'Rock-Solid".My sons first one was even mounted in "double shear" so there was never any movement at the pivot,the actual vertical and horizontal section would still "twist" the whole thing from weight/motion.
TireCarrier05.jpg

P1030685.jpg

not sure if i missed it but what thickness did you use for the frame tie ins

thanks

I tied in to the nut plates that the hitch attaches to, in 4 places with 3/8" thick material to the bumper. I think 1/4" may have been strong enough, but I had the 3/8" material left over from another project.

Last edited:
Man that is a NICE rear bumper with carrier! I never did see how much it would cost for you to make one. I would be interested in one with the tire carrier but it would have to hold a 35"x12.50 mtr w/kevlar. Let me know I will pay shipping to.

Update.....Had a little movement of the spare tire on the highway. My soulition was to fab a different mounting system. I cut off the existing plates that mounted to the hitch nut plates and the original bumper mounting bolts.
Cut the sheet metal under the hatch on either side to expose the extrusion in the unibody (what would be the frame rails). I used .250" wall 2" x 4" rectangular tube inside the "frame rails". I made nut plates that fit inside the
2" x 4" rectangular tube and welded one end and some plug welds to hold them in place. Also welded plates that attached back to the original bumper bolts. All re-welded and bolted with 1/2" grade 8 hardware and now the rear bumper is much better, very little movement.

Over all the front and rear bumpers have held up very well.

hey SPXJ, ive got a few questions for ya. check your PMs please. :)

PM returned

FYI:
Just returned from running the Mojave Road. Three days on the trail and the rear bumper held up great with the mounting improvements. No movement with the 33" tire, 5 gallons of water and 5 gallons of fuel on the tire carrier. So 2 years and still like my bumpers!

SPXJ-
Love the fab work. Very skillful. Seen many of the drop down tire carriers on bigger rigs (JKs), but never with a swing incorporated! Its such a great idea, I am going to have to borrow some design cues. What tubing did you use for the hoops? If you could go back and change something about the design, what would it be? Thanks for the info!

Back