• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front and rear bumpers

Is that 7" forward total or 7" forward of the grill. I was working on doing something similar and measured more like 3" added onto the bumper mounts. I love the front bumper winch integration. By my calculation, there is little to no approch angle lost.

The rear design is truly unique. The hydralic struct to cushion the swing arm got me thinking. Excelent use of available technology. :thumbup:

:cheers:

7" from the grill forward. 8 3/8" forward of the front crossmember. I used 1/2" plate welded through the bumper that tie in to JCR bumper plates.

FrontDSCF0005.jpg

Last edited:
those look great, i expect mine to arrive in the next 2-3 weeks =]

wicked bumpers dude. the rear looks like the Off Road Evo JK bumper. so sweet. how thick wall is the tube used? wut hinges did you use for the flip down? wut kinnda pipe bender do u got?

The 2 x 6 tube is 3/16" wall. I used 1 1/2" urathane bushings with 3/4"OD (1/2" ID) DOM sleeves for the pivot pionts and the upper tie in points. All grade 8 hardware.

ive allways liked the diaper style rear tire carrier, and yours does look very nice!
the front looks like it would have an awesome place to hide stuff thats rarely needed on the trail.

awesome work on both! top notch!

7" from the grill forward. 8 3/8" forward of the front crossmember. I used 1/2" plate welded through the bumper that tie in to JCR bumper plates.

FrontDSCF0005.jpg

OK! OK! I am too far from my XJ which is in Miami. I am in the Caribbean for going on 18 months.

Walking backwards in my mind, I see how you arrive at the 8 3/8" from the cross member. My measurement was 7" from the cross member + 2" for the thickness of the bumper.

I have made and installed the winch mount on my XJ but I have yet to get a winch and bumper. :rattle: Actually, I need both. A rear bumper with tire carrier which I will most likely buy. The front bumper I may make myself or modify an off-the-shelf version to fit in front of the winch.

Great job. :yelclap: (did they say great minds think alike?)

Last edited:
thats some great work! best rear tire carrier ive seen!

OK! OK! I am too far from my XJ which is in Miami. I am in the Caribbean for going on 18 months.

Walking backwards in my mind, I see how you arrive at the 8 3/8" from the cross member. My measurement was 7" from the cross member + 2" for the thickness of the bumper.

I have made and installed the winch mount on my XJ but I have yet to get a winch and bumper. :rattle: Actually, I need both. A rear bumper with tire carrier which I will most likely buy. The front bumper I may make myself or modify an off-the-shelf version to fit in front of the winch.

Great job. :yelclap: (did they say great minds think alike?)

7" was from the grill forward to front of the bumper.

Perhaps $50 would help you remember how you winged it? Lol :D

I love both bumpers. Especially the front.

I don't remember how much $$$ it takes to make my memory start working :laugh::explosion

I can get you basic measurements and list of material if you want?

i love both bumpers steve. great fab work. hopefully i can see them in person one of these days. you have one of the nicest jeeps ive seen.

That set-up is very nice.

Question for your on the rear lift strut. I have been looking at doing this to my tire carrier after I did not get the pin engaged to keep it from swinging all the way open and the tire put a huge dent in the side of my Jeep.

I have an old lift strut from the hatch laying around put am worried it may be too strong and fling the carrier open possible netting a junk shot from it. What strut are you using? ANy issues with it opening too fast?

Thank you,
Curtis

That set-up is very nice.

Question for your on the rear lift strut. I have been looking at doing this to my tire carrier after I did not get the pin engaged to keep it from swinging all the way open and the tire put a huge dent in the side of my Jeep.

I have an old lift strut from the hatch laying around put am worried it may be too strong and fling the carrier open possible netting a junk shot from it. What strut are you using? ANy issues with it opening too fast?

Thank you,
Curtis

It's a strut I purchased from a salvage company. It not very stiff, it acts more as a stop to limit how far it will swing open. I can get you one if you want....I think it was less than $10.00 but I would have to verify.

Back